Match Thread Coventry City at Newport County Match Thread - Friday 30th Mar (1 Viewer)

Gibbo

Whilst its true yesterday can be seen as a missed opporunrity it also means that its 1 less win needed to get autos

6 wins from 8 before

Now 5 wins from 7

It has not got any harder. In fact we are in same position but with a trixky fixture out od the way
Makes it harder - one fewer games to overhaul Wycombe. Need them to slump, and they may yet might do that, they weren't very good yesterday either it seems

Gibbo

Biamou’s finish was far from easy. He had to connect right with a dropping ball, not an easy technique, and slot it into the narrow gap between the post and the keeper. Give credit where it is due. Likewise the shot that Haynes had at the end of the first half looked a half decent effort that drifted just wide, at least that was the view from behind the goal.
Agree about BIamou - noting that he is a professional footballer and should be able to do it on almost every occasion - he was running in at speed, on a tricky surface with a lot at stake., and took the high risk option of a half volley

Mucca Mad Boys

Newport's recent form ropey - they have slipped back. I had it as a draw as well, but the most winnable one, and I suspect we need 6-2 for the autos, not my 5-3.. The killer, Oti's insistence notwithstanding, was Notts County's failure to beat Wycombe. We now have 7 rather than 8 games to close the gap on Wycombe, easy in a relegation dogfight where teams usually drop points, but not in a promotion race. On current form Notts County may be in a fight for a top 7 finish, so had they scraped a 1-0 win in what was apparently a crap game, that would have been the best result

The main thing was for Wycombe not to win that fixture, and thankfully they didn’t. We have that all important game in hand, which is setup to be a ‘must win’ for us. In reality, there’s plenty of points still to play for — if any team in the top 7 takes 19-21 points, they’re probably going to finish 3rd.

Agreed, Newport’s form has been ropey, but their losses have mainly come in their away games. In their last 8 games at home, they’ve lost once (Crewe last week), the problem is, they draw so many games. They’re a team that struggles against teams they ‘should’ beat. I think their last 3 home games have been, Luton, Crewe and us — they only lost to Crewe.

Otis

Newport's recent form ropey - they have slipped back. I had it as a draw as well, but the most winnable one, and I suspect we need 6-2 for the autos, not my 5-3.. The killer, Oti's insistence notwithstanding, was Notts County's failure to beat Wycombe. We now have 7 rather than 8 games to close the gap on Wycombe, easy in a relegation dogfight where teams usually drop points, but not in a promotion race. On current form Notts County may be in a fight for a top 7 finish, so had they scraped a 1-0 win in what was apparently a crap game, that would have been the best result
Where would you prefer Notts County to be in the table when we play them, above us, or below us?

Totally changes the dynamics of the game whether we are above them in the table rather than behind them in the table.

A draw was the best result yesterday and quite a few people believe the same thing.

Let ALL our rivals drop points.

Had we have won yesterday it would have been the perfect day.

Irish Sky Blue

I wouldn’t agree with Robin’s that we were the better side in the second half. We weathered a twenty minute storm where they had two shots miss the post by a whisker plus the save from Burge and Hyam clearance off the line. Without being spectacular, I thought we were the best team in the first half. Overall a draw was probably fair.
Rodney Parade has to be one of the worst grounds I have been too ( although I felt the stewards were polite and helpful). We arrived at 2:50 due to horrendous traffic on the way down. There was a huge queue to get into the away end. They only had one turnstyle open and were searching everyone who went through so we missed the first 5 minutes. The temporary stand looks as if it is erected on grass. To actually get into the stand you have to walk on a carpet type material which yesterday was saturated and muddy. When actually in the stand water pooled on the planking so I actually watched the game standing in a puddle. I gave up trying to go to the toilet at half time as both sets of toilets had huge queues. The space behind the covered stand was tiny and was rammed with people. Yesterday’s weather didn’t help but if Burge had not pulled off his save and Biamou not got the equaliser it would have been a thoroughly miserable day.

clint van damme

I wouldn’t agree with Robin’s that we were the better side in the second half. We weathered a twenty minute storm where they had two shots miss the post by a whisker plus the save from Burge and Hyam clearance off the line. Without being spectacular, I thought we were the best team in the first half. Overall a draw was probably fair.
Rodney Parade has to be one of the worst grounds I have been too ( although I felt the stewards were polite and helpful). We arrived at 2:50 due to horrendous traffic on the way down. There was a huge queue to get into the away end. They only had one turnstyle open and were searching everyone who went through so we missed the first 5 minutes. The temporary stand looks as if it is erected on grass. To actually get into the stand you have to walk on a carpet type material which yesterday was saturated and muddy. When actually in the stand water pooled on the planking so I actually watched the game standing in a puddle. I gave up trying to go to the toilet at half time as both sets of toilets had huge queues. The space behind the covered stand was tiny and was rammed with people. Yesterday’s weather didn’t help but if Burge had not pulled off his save and Biamou not got the equaliser it would have been a thoroughly miserable day.

you're right, it was a poor ground and poorly organised. I thought the stewards and police handled it well.
There's been a few times this season when the home side have seemed unprepared for the away numbers but the way it's handled can stop a bad situation from becoming more unbearable for everyone.

Johhny Blue

A win at Newport was always a big ask. At home, they’ve not been beaten by anyone on the top 7. So it was a decent result. It hasn’t cost us anything because results went our way, and we’ve closed the gap on Exeter. In the next 3, I think we need 7pts, wins v Yeovil and Crawley, and a draw at Notts County puts us in good stead.

Even down the line, Cheltenham and Notts County lost. We could be heading to a Notts County with 1 win 6. We should be looking at a draw here minimum. As for Lincoln, they’re a threat, but with home advantage I fancy us for all 3pts. In the last 8, we’ve only dropped points to Accrington and Luton.
And Newport

Speedies_Chips

Yep especially with these new grounds popping up. I’ve got 3 left out of the 92 to watch city. Cheltenham, Fulham & Bournemouth. But then I’ve not seen City play at West Ham & Man City new grounds etc. Only the old ones. My personal opinion is the 92 to watch your own club not just any team.
Agree. Doing them by taking in any old game is quite easy actually.

Users who are viewing this thread