Coventry Cathedral BBC 4 (1 Viewer)

Johnnythespider

Great programme, a fantastic building with great art and a city of 4 spires

D

Deleted member 4439

All the windows are impressive but the John Hutton engraved windows are my favourite. Also love the Geoffrey Clarke sculptures. View attachment 20406

One of the top triumphs of the building I think. I think in years to come they will only increase in their regard. So original, so brave and, as I say, a triumph.

Whilst those who share in the City's roots will have been easily absorbed as we watched, I wish there were more of these sorts of programmes, using footage and simple commentary, rather than having some cool/quirky middle-class academic doing their amateur dramatic best to help us re-live the past (quite a turn off for me). A bit more 'World at War' sort of style.

PS - I do think the christening bowl is a bit shit, and I've never quite understood the symbolism of the ikea coat hangers that dangle down over the pulpit.

Kneeza

It was a wonderful watch (in fact, the only bit I didn't like was the presenter getting grumpy about the font. Personally I love it for its starkness and symbolism).
Being an old twat myself, I remember donating to the fund for the Children's Window when I was at Longford Park Primary; I still have the bookmark depicting it that they gave us.
One of the strongest memories of my childhood is being picked up from school on a Corporation bus and taken to the service there (I guess it wasn't the actual one the Queen attended, but one of a series for us plebs; that detail is hazy).
I also still have the booklet handed to us at that.
I also recall, a few years later, the fleche falling down, and subsequently being replaced by helicopter. We watched that from Broadgate - no Cathedral Lanes back then.
I'm not religious, but I bloody love that building, and always refer to it as MY Cathedral.

Users who are viewing this thread