Cov V Blackburn 95/96 season (1 Viewer)

Covstu

Which one was the game we smashed them by 5 at HR in the snow? Boxing Day I remember?

letsallsingtogether

Why wait just you tube it.
Highlights enough for anyone.

Great memories. Thanks for the link. Remember my ST being in the east stand that year thinking highfield road gets no better than this.......miss that place with noise and atmosphere that could be generated from such a small crowd. Good times.

Nonleagueherewecome

Scored a brace.
Amazing how many goals he got in the top flight from midfield really. Well, any is amazing, and he chipped in more regularly than you would expect. I suppose he was good at getting in goalscoring positions at least (sorta the Inman of his day....). The genius that was Julian Darby was to look rubbish so nobody would bother marking him I reckon.

JulianDarbyFTW

Amazing how many goals he got in the top flight from midfield really. Well, any is amazing, and he chipped in more regularly than you would expect. I suppose he was good at getting in goalscoring positions at least (sorta the Inman of his day....). The genius that was Julian Darby was to look rubbish so nobody would bother marking him I reckon.

Phil Neal told me that once Lee Hurst came back we would have a fantastic midfield, with him and Julian bossing it. Shame it never happened. Hurst was such a prospect.

kapowaz

That was a nice trip down memory lane. Stands up there with the 5-1 against Liverpool and 3-0 over Villa as some of the best matches I saw back when I was a kid.

Maybe this won’t go down so well but on reflection I’d say the first half play was pretty poor (from both sides). Contrasting it with recent performances (particularly the first half against Notts County recently) I’d genuinely have to say we look a better side of late. Maybe less consistent, but it’s not like we had a particularly consistent team in the early 90s either.

Is that just the evolution of the game, that standards have risen so much across all leagues? Or tactical advances too? An example that stands out is short throws to players on the wing who are so heavily marked they don’t know what to do with the ball. Contrast that with the quick one-touch back to the thrower we regularly see now.

wingy

That was a nice trip down memory lane. Stands up there with the 5-1 against Liverpool and 3-0 over Villa as some of the best matches I saw back when I was a kid.

Maybe this won’t go down so well but on reflection I’d say the first half play was pretty poor (from both sides). Contrasting it with recent performances (particularly the first half against Notts County recently) I’d genuinely have to say we look a better side of late. Maybe less consistent, but it’s not like we had a particularly consistent team in the early 90s either.

Is that just the evolution of the game, that standards have risen so much across all leagues? Or tactical advances too? An example that stands out is short throws to players on the wing who are so heavily marked they don’t know what to do with the ball. Contrast that with the quick one-touch back to the thrower we regularly see now.
Ahem ,we rarely see examples of that these days lol .
I've always Wondered about your general point and there may be an element of truth in it, yet not enough to conclude the Fourth is equivilent to the old first, certainly not beyond the 70's.

Users who are viewing this thread