Cov RFC Season 21/22 (1 Viewer)

Kneeza

Certainly not fifteen years.
But shit way to do it nonetheless.
Contractual. Lawyers. Blah, blah.

no_loyalty

Decent result tonight in Jersey in the Championship Cup semi-final. Jersey 17-20 Cov, and they progress to the final next week against Ealing or Penzance & Newlyn.
Quite a turnaround from the heavy home defeat to Jersey just a few weeks ago.

Where is the final being played?

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Good question. If PzN win, the final is at the BPA. If, as predicted, Ealing win, it'll be at their own midden.
Don't ask me about RFU logic...

Seems to me to be totally biased as far as Ealing concerned. RFU are not fit for purpose.

I don't think many expected Cov to make the final so Pirates have a chance.

The club needs the extra income, last financials don't look great. Going to be some player cost reduction over the summer I would expect.

Kneeza

Agreed OSB.
However, I was actually fairly pleasantly surprised by the last financials given the Covid period preceding them. Could've been far worse.
I'm hearing one or two pleasant rumours on the player front, but nobody should expect too much given that there's nowhere to go next season (except down to League One!).
I just hope Sharpy keeps the faith...

Kneeza

Ealing prevail as expected, so Cov have to make the trip there for the final.
They might get a crowd of 1000, with Cov supporters making up 50% of that number, whereas you could probably guarantee a minimum of 3k if it was at the Butts.
It's almost as if the RFU aren't interested in attracting spectators.
Still, it's in That London, so no doubt that's all that matters.

Grendel

Ealing prevail as expected, so Cov have to make the trip there for the final.
They might get a crowd of 1000, with Cov supporters making up 50% of that number, whereas you could probably guarantee a minimum of 3k if it was at the Butts.
It's almost as if the RFU aren't interested in attracting spectators.
Still, it's in That London, so no doubt that's all that matters.

Funny thing is if they’d hired out Twickenham they’d probably have had a fair few thousand Coventry fans go for the day out

Kneeza

The RFU? Thinking? Using their own assets to promote their own competition?
Hah. The very thought.

duffer

I know if I was running Cov I'd be tempted to tell the RFU to stick their pointless, rigged, cup competition where the sun doesn't shine. I'd give the players an extra week off and send Ealing a note to congratulate them on their 'victory'.

The RFU isn't fit for purpose and hasn't been for a long time, it'd be worth Championship clubs exposing that as often as possible.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Agreed OSB.
However, I was actually fairly pleasantly surprised by the last financials given the Covid period preceding them. Could've been far worse.
I'm hearing one or two pleasant rumours on the player front, but nobody should expect too much given that there's nowhere to go next season (except down to League One!).
I just hope Sharpy keeps the faith...

I hope they do well too and what you are hearing comes off

The figures filed at companies house are abridged so it doesn't give a lot of detail. But the main points I took were

- deficit on p&l account increased by 760k. No details as to how the loss derived. But that is big losses for a small club on a small turnover
-Jon Sharpe capitalised 2.75m of his debt by taking shares at premium. That created a positive balance but shows the huge reliance on Sharpe to finance the club. How long can he keep doing it ?

I would not criticise the club at all if next season they don't renew contracts or sign any notable players. I would think prudent. Would think along with players retiring other notable players will be leaving as the club can't afford them

But am on the outside looking in so pure guesswork

Kneeza

One more player announced as going to a Prem club. Josh Barton to Newcastle.
Bit of a dead end club in the overall Prem picture, but I wish him well, and hope he isn't just going to be picking up splinters or loaned out to a rival Champ club.
He's a good lad, and has been doing a very good job at inside half (apart from a spell out injured) covering for long-term casualty first-choice Joe Snow. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that parts of his game have at least caught up with Snowy's.
Good luck to the lad.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Good luck to Cov today. Tough ask but you never know. 🤞

Had planned to go but can't now. Rest of the family are, so hope they have a great day and am sure the players will do the club and city proud

Kneeza

Am hearing that Rob Knox is definitely on his way (down a level) and Will Owen, who has bought a house with the lovely Demelza, and is building a business, is also leaving. Together with Burrows, Boulton, Fenner, and Barton, that's a big hole to fill before September.
I'm sure there'll be more going too.
(Edit: The news about Knocker and Owen came from the lips of Knocker's dad today btw, so no doubt).

Kneeza

Just beat me to it. Listening on CWR, sounds like a tight game. It'd be a tremendous result if we could win this one, Ealing are miles ahead in terms of resources of course...
Don't hold your breath. Ealing have the advantage of the wind in the second half, and have a tendency to ramp things up as necessary. Cov have already done us proud though, whatever transpires.

duffer

Rob Knox has left the club

Shame

Must confess that I'm really surprised at that. He's been at the heart of the club for a long time and is much loved.

Just seen that they're releasing 14 players in all, plenty more big names in there too, Dacres, Fenner, Boulton for example.

I knew about some of those, particularly the retirees, but that's an awful lot of talent to replace. But then there's nothing to play for, thanks to the fit-for-nowt RFU ring-fencing the Prem. Why throw money at it, I guess...

Kneeza

Whose going to pass the requirements though?
When, as mooted by PRL (etc) the ground requirements are pared right back by the end of next season, there are at least three clubs who could easily meet them with the judicious addition of temporary stands, extra toilets, etc.
Cov for one (and no, they almost certainly won't be in a position to on the pitch by then), Doncaster, and Ealing.
Theoretically even the likes of Nottingham, Richmond, London Scottish, Bedford and Hartpury could too, but less likely.
So, Donny and Ealing will be the ones battling it out again this season, but hopefully with their ducks in a row this time when it comes to ground inspection time.

Users who are viewing this thread