Course invaders at today's Grand National. (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

Quite incredible comments-the animal rights protesters are to blame for the horse's death, not the people who killed it

Boosh

JAM See

I actually find it quite cathartic to find out a horse that's lost me money has been destroyed. I'd like to extend it to others that let my bets down like football teams and Boxers.
I did the National Lottery for years.

Wished the same for Mystic Meg.

I feel really bad now.

David O'Day

The trainer who is trying to blame the fact that his horse died trying to jump a fucking massive fence they are meant to jump is a plum on some people who weren't on the course anymore is a prize plum

skybluetony176

Quite incredible comments-the animal rights protesters are to blame for the horse's death, not the people who killed it

It’s the world we live in. It’s always someone else’s fault and if that someone else is deemed “woke” in some way it’s a two for one.

Grendel

bawtryneal

I must admit to not really having a strong view on horse racing and specifically the Grand National until now.
I love animals ( big dog lover) and hate animal cruelty and this years protestors has brought it more to the front of my mind, which is a good thing. I actually watched the race and some of the incidents are horrendous.
A genuine question though from somebody who knows zero about horses. When the rider is unseated or the horse falls why do they keep on jumping the remaining fences. Appreciate some "pull up" but a number continue. Is it "herd mentality" or "trained to continue" but you would assume if they hated it they would immediately pull up.

ovduk78

I wonder what the life expectancy is of a retired racehorse. I doubt if it's as long as a normal horse. I would think the owners move them on to other owners, sanctuaries, retirement places, etc as soon as they can as it's an expense they don't want.

David O'Day

I must admit to not really having a strong view on horse racing and specifically the Grand National until now.
I love animals ( big dog lover) and hate animal cruelty and this years protestors has brought it more to the front of my mind, which is a good thing. I actually watched the race and some of the incidents are horrendous.
A genuine question though from somebody who knows zero about horses. When the rider is unseated or the horse falls why do they keep on jumping the remaining fences. Appreciate some "pull up" but a number continue. Is it "herd mentality" or "trained to continue" but you would assume if they hated it they would immediately pull up.
"
Why do horses keep running when the rider falls off?

French equine behaviorist Dr. Lea Lansade says that the process which causes race horses to keep running after losing their jockey is called automatism. As described by TheHorse.com, “automatism is the curious brain function that makes us perform actions without even realizing it.”"

Grendel

I wonder what the life expectancy is of a retired racehorse. I doubt if it's as long as a normal horse. I would think the owners move them on to other owners, sanctuaries, retirement places, etc as soon as they can as it's an expense they don't want.

This is an Australian article but it’s similar here

Grendel

Horses are herd animals - fight or fight and they run.

If Aintree was empty and horses riderless they’d just eat the grass. Fire a gun and they will start to run and follow

ovduk78

This is an Australian article but it’s similar here

So when they claim that the welfare of the horses is their no 1 priority they only mean whilst it has the potential to earn them some money, once that day has passed they couldn't give a shit!!!

Otis

I’ve long been an advocate for letting horses compete in a quieter, slower environment where they’re not likely to encounter protesters, which is why I’ve been campaigning to let horses play snooker.
Well it makes sense, as we already have dogs playing pool.

Brighton Sky Blue

They get top glass care and medical attention. If they are left to roam free then they will cause way more damage not to mention who will look after them.

It's a pretty expensive business looking after a racehorse.

At least they are only whipped a fixed number of times a race

SkyBlueCharlie9

Which is weird, because dogs are colourblind.
I said to my daughter the other day that dogs only see in black &white and got a lecture.
Apparently..... Dogs do not see in black and white. They have two colour receptors in the eyes (humans have 3) which perceive wavelengths of light that correspond to blue and yellow, meaning that dogs see only in combinations of blue, yellow and grey.
Yes they would still f***** struggle at snooker though!

JAM See

I said to my daughter the other day that dogs only see in black &white and got a lecture.
Apparently..... Dogs do not see in black and white. They have two colour receptors in the eyes (humans have 3) which perceive wavelengths of light that correspond to blue and yellow, meaning that dogs see only in combinations of blue, yellow and grey.
Yes they would still f***** struggle at snooker though!
Ha ha. It's great being lectured by your kids on sciencey stuff. Proves that you did something right somewhere along the way.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Users who are viewing this thread