Council sports chief didn't see key report before decision to close Pool (1 Viewer)

torchomatic

I've been a Labour man all my life but Jesus the party are really making a mess of running Coventry, aren't they? Wasps, the pool, Greater Birmingham. What a shit legacy they will leave. And a legacy that will affect the people of the City for decades to come.

skybluetony176

I've been a Labour man all my life but Jesus the party are really making a mess of running Coventry, aren't they? Wasps, the pool, Greater Birmingham. What a shit legacy they will leave. And a legacy that will affect the people of the City for decades to come.

That's the problem Torch. If you want an inefficient council by rule of thumb vote Labour. They always make the worst councils.

duffer

Nine billion pounds, the Olympics cost. £9,000,000,000. And yet we can't afford to keep an Olympic pool open.

As for the council, again, what the hell are they thinking here? This is our money, and we deserve to know all of the options on the table. How can you make a decision this critical without being in full possession of the facts. It stinks.

hill83

Looks like things aren't going swimmingly for the council after all.

Captain Dart

This is what happens when they forget to leave the brown paper envelope on the table, eh. That'll learn 'em. ;)

Someone could learn a lot from Sepp.

Terry Gibson's perm

Nine billion pounds, the Olympics cost. £9,000,000,000. And yet we can't afford to keep an Olympic pool open.

As for the council, again, what the hell are they thinking here? This is our money, and we deserve to know all of the options on the table. How can you make a decision this critical without being in full possession of the facts. It stinks.

Legacy there seems to be very little of it apart from West Ham getting a free/cheap stadium and even that deal stinks as they will sell Upton Park and pay off some of their debts when it should be a rent payment in advance.

wingy

We'll forgive me here for pointing out the bloody obvious but there Is a huge difference In the political and social backdrop from the early sixties to the present day
There are now myriad decent facilities across Coventry In various educational establishments and a more modern facility will eventually be built
The fact we will no longer have an Olympic standard pool might have us thinking our status Is slipping and the truth Is It Is
I doubt there has been a significant event to warrant that type of facility since the nineties IIRC Birmingham Uni Is or has this size pool now
Whether there have been any dark arts going on here I don't know but In the current climate I don't think Council tax payers money should be Involved with helping Olympic sports along now they get generous contributions through Govt and Lottery grants
That said we as a City received £6-7 M from The Olympics to stage football at the RICOH
which IIRC was used and wasted In the City Centre to Concrete Slab almost everywhere,
highly athetic I'm sure
Secondly along with the joining of that huge conurbation Is also a product of Central Govt policy
Personally not In favour of any of It be It Brum or Warwick or a Mayor who would hold huge power yet lead to less democracy or accountability much like the newish Police Authority chiefs

Yes we need a vote., Imagine If the City goes for It,what then?
Why would we need 600+ MP's
Are we on the road to a federal UK here
Instead of wearing chips on our shoulders the Swimming Baths aren't worth getting our knickers in a twist or on the streets for
The other matter however Is worth investing a few hours of our own time to show disapproval, sure there will be a few worthy councilors or activists to get behind

Tad

It's no secret cov council are useless. They've proven that time and time again to me and others I know who have worked for them in the past. They've all left saying the same thing.

For what it's worth though, I don't have a problem with them closing down the pool if it couldn't keep out of the red to run.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread