Council of the Year 2019 (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

Im on about anything Cov related....just think it’s any chance to take the shine off a potential good news story. If it wins an award who know what positive benefits it might have.... business relocating to Cov etc etc

true, though I still wouldn't think they deserve it but you're right, it could have benefits.

WhaleOilBeefHooked

City of culture is a pointless gimmick.

We'll agree to disagree on this point. Economists and professional services firm say otherwise however.

rates they continue to charge is turning the City into a barren wasteland. Businesses are leaving in droves. A £36 million swimming pool based on a very dubious business case will inevitably be over budget and not meet the required revenue.

The rates are consistent with any other authority in the UK. Businesses are moving out in droves... unless of course you consider Cathedral Lanes and the businesses throwing up multi storey buildings in the centre and near the train station. Don't really know much about the swimming pool so I'll take your word for that.

I fail to see why having a big free music festival is a benefit unless it brings additional income which offsets costs. I can’t see any analysis either way
You fail to see what a free festival which attracts thousands to the city does for the economy? Ok.

They’ve offered zero to JLR so that’s bewildering
Let's disregard the entirely unhindered expansion and granting of planning permission shall we

What financial service jobs? What’s the percentage growth and since when?
Financial Ombudsman Service
Moneycorp
Two from the very top of my head.

Covstu

I think there are a lot of people quick to criticise the council and the city. Don’t really put much weight in the city of culture but surely that will bring in investment and income, Godiva is fantastic and everyone you speak to around the midlands wishes they had something similar. My major concerns are around selling our soul to Cov uni and wider Birmingham, whilst we will see little difference now i think this will bite us down the line. Clearly the Ricoh issue is the biggest issue whichstill hurts and will impact our club for years to come, short term viewpoints have cost us

Covstu

I think there are a lot of people quick to criticise the council and the city. Don’t really put much weight in the city of culture but surely that will bring in investment and income, Godiva is fantastic and everyone you speak to around the midlands wishes they had something similar. My major concerns are around selling our soul to Cov uni and wider Birmingham, whilst we will see little difference now i think this will bite us down the line. Clearly the Ricoh issue is the biggest issue whichstill hurts and will impact our club for years to come, short term viewpoints have cost us

WhaleOilBeefHooked

Weird. Why not answer?

Does it not show up in your googling or something?

You're proper boring, Nick.

giphy.gif

WhaleOilBeefHooked

It's almost as if you have no clue what you are talking about and can't respond. Funny that.

It's almost as if you feel the urge to respond to every comment. Looks like we're in for a long day in that case.

Also: fair play to CCC for getting the nomination. I will be nominating them more in future, if I can do so.

Nick

Administrator
It's almost as if you feel the urge to respond to every comment. Looks like we're in for a long day in that case.

Also: fair play to CCC for getting the nomination. I will be nominating them more in future, if I can do so.

No, I am just posting the thread. I pointed out some negatives that you asked for and it seems that without realising you tried to use them as a positive obviously not understanding fully what was meant.

Why not try to discuss the points being made?

clint van damme

not concerned about the expansion of Cov uni, (I think that's what you were referring to), as I think the growing reputation of both universities will only benefit the city.

Share your concern about the wider Birmingham thing though the jury is out for me on that one at the minute, I've seen examples of where it could work and to be fair to him, Andy Street is doing a better job than I though for banging the drum for the whole region but as you say, we'll see what happens further down the line.

Nick

Administrator
not concerned about the expansion of Cov uni, (I think that's what you were referring to), as I think the growing reputation of both universities will only benefit the city.

Share your concern about the wider Birmingham thing though the jury is out for me on that one at the minute, I've seen examples of where it could work and to be fair to him, Andy Street is doing a better job than I though for banging the drum for the whole region but as you say, we'll see what happens further down the line.

The thing with that is when it comes to thinks like the Channel 4 "bid". For all the goings on about bringing it to Cov, it ends up that it was actually all about Birmingham and they had no intention of including Cov with it. Sometimes feels that Cov will get what Birmingham doesn't want when it comes to the combined authority.

clint van damme

The thing with that is when it comes to thinks like the Channel 4 "bid". For all the goings on about bringing it to Cov, it ends up that it was actually all about Birmingham and they had no intention of including Cov with it. Sometimes feels that Cov will get what Birmingham doesn't want when it comes to the combined authority.

In what way? I didn't see it like that but I didn't follow the story too closely to be honest.

Nick

Administrator
In what way? I didn't see it like that but I didn't follow the story too closely to be honest.

There was a big fuss about bringing Channel 4 here (Coventry). It turned out that they didn't even visit Coventry as part of the "West Midlands" proposals and that the showcase for "West Midlands" was all done in Birmingham. It was always just about Birmingham.

WhaleOilBeefHooked

No, I am just posting the thread. I pointed out some negatives that you asked for and it seems that without realising you tried to use them as a positive obviously not understanding fully what was meant.

Why not try to discuss the points being made?

Nick, I've responded to every point that has been sent my way.

I have an issue with yours though as you chat utter shite.

Nick

Administrator
Nick, I've responded to every point that has been sent my way.

I have an issue with yours though as you chat utter shite.

It's funny though because you can't seem to explain how. The "shite" I posted about you have then tried to reference as a positive without realising it.

WhaleOilBeefHooked

It's funny though because you can't seem to explain how. The "shite" I posted about you have then tried to reference as a positive without realising it.

Because I find no value in even discussing it with you as you have an answer for everything, even when you're wrong.

For full disclosure, I find the Friargate project to be a good thing - especially when only one of several buildings have been built, so any criticism towards a project which isn't even 25% complete is misinformed, premature and unfair. The one criticism I do have is the god awful traffic system they've put in instead.

But hey, let's just allow Birmingham to have all the investment and build these offices for new companies if you find that a better course of action. But of course, you wouldn't like that either.

Nick

Administrator
Because I find no value in even discussing it with you as you have an answer for everything, even when you're wrong.

For full disclosure, I find the Friargate project to be a good thing - especially when only one of several buildings have been built, so any criticism towards a project which isn't even 25% complete is misinformed, premature and unfair. The one criticism I do have is the god awful traffic system they've put in instead.

But hey, let's just allow Birmingham to have all the investment and build these offices for new companies if you find that a better course of action. But of course, you wouldn't like that either.

How is the criticism about Friargate misinformed exactly?

Point out what I am wrong about then, it's as simple as that.

WhaleOilBeefHooked

How is the criticism about Friargate misinformed exactly?

Point out what I am wrong about then, it's as simple as that.

Give me something to bloody work with then. Your argument at the moment is around the lines of a caveman: "Friargate BAD. Council BAD."

At least I've actually had the decency to list my points, none of which you have actually addressed.

Nick

Administrator
Give me something to bloody work with then. Your argument at the moment is around the lines of a caveman: "Friargate BAD. Council BAD."

At least I've actually had the decency to list my points, none of which you have actually addressed.

What do you need to work with? Surely you know about the things that are negative about things like Friargate and the dodginess about the "Bus Lane Fines"?

WhaleOilBeefHooked

What do you need to work with? Surely you know about the things that are negative about things like Friargate and the dodginess about the "Bus Lane Fines"?

If you cared to read, I disagree with the negatives on Friargate. Give me specifics and details and I'll either say I agree, or disagree, which is the general requirement for a debate.

You're basing the fact that Bus Lane fines should negate CCC's nomination. You're a very petty man. But to humour you, I've never been caught out by them, because I learned to drive and learned what traffic signs mean.

Nick

Administrator
If you cared to read, I disagree with the negatives on Friargate. Give me specifics and details and I'll either say I agree, or disagree, which is the general requirement for a debate.

You're basing the fact that Bus Lane fines should negate CCC's nomination. You're a very petty man. But to humour you, I've never been caught out by them, because I learned to drive and learned what traffic signs mean.

It's more that you don't really seem to be understanding the negatives I am referring to.

Knowing traffic signs would be irrelevant when the point around the bus lane fines is the incorrect / missing / misleading signs.

I haven't said solely anything should negate something, I listed other cons to add to your strange list. I purposely didn't go into too much detail as just saying "Friargate" or "Bus Lane Fines" in reference to something negative would usually be enough and people would get them. (As people like Dave did)

WhaleOilBeefHooked

It's more that you don't really seem to be understanding the negatives I am referring to.

Knowing traffic signs would be irrelevant when the point around the bus lane fines is the incorrect / missing / misleading signs.

I haven't said solely anything should negate something, I listed other cons to add to your strange list.

I know full well what negatives you're referring to, however as I've said previously, I think you're chatting shite.

You're angry that the council refuses to refund motorists who paid their fines. I'm angry that those motorists couldn't see signs, didn't appeal at the time and just paid, no questions asked. Do I think CCC are angels? No. Do I think others need to take accountability for their own actions? Yes. Do I think this relatively trivial issue negates everything that CCC have done for the benefit of the city? No.

Nick

Administrator
I know full well what negatives you're referring to, however as I've said previously, I think you're chatting shite.

You're angry that the council refuses to refund motorists who paid their fines. I'm angry that those motorists couldn't see signs, didn't appeal at the time and just paid, no questions asked. Do I think CCC are angels? No. Do I think others need to take accountability for their own actions? Yes. Do I think this relatively trivial issue negates everything that CCC have done for the benefit of the city? No.

So why not disprove the negatives I am referring to if you know them? It's easy enough.

You still aren't getting it. The signs have been proven multiple times to be inadequate. Maybe you should be angry with the council that motorists couldn't see them as they are the ones ignoring advice from independent adjudicators?

It's clear that you don't really know much about the bus lane stuff I am referring to.

WhaleOilBeefHooked

So why not disprove the negatives I am referring to? It's easy enough.

Because 1) you have an answer for everything, and 2) it's based on an opinion so it's not actually possible to disprove.

You still aren't getting it. The signs have been proven multiple times to be inadequate. Maybe you should be angry with the council that motorists couldn't see them as they are the ones ignoring advice from independent adjudicators?

Well the motorists affected, armed with this evidence and independent information, can sue the council, no? The council have said they're not refunding. It doesn't mean you can't get your money back. Jesus, I've sued the council before for pothole damage. Maybe if others weren't such a bunch of tolerant and compliant sheep, they'd do the same. I'm not angry with the Council for drivers that can't see a pretty large blue sign saying buses and bikes only.

End of the day, your argument is that the bus lane fines should negate the benefits that the council have brought to the City. That's not only ridiculous, it's pathetic. You're only skill is arguing in platitudes. You bring no reason, debate or intelligence to the plate.

clint van damme

my issue with Friargate isn't the project itself but it appears that there was/is a chance that Virgin trains may stop calling at Coventry which is going to make moving to Friargate a hard sell.

I don't know how much that influenced the decision of the Chartered institute of whatever they were to pull out. It seemed to me that they should have had some sort of assurances prior to going ahead.

Nick

Administrator
Because 1) you have an answer for everything, and 2) it's based on an opinion so it's not actually possible to disprove.

Well the motorists affected, armed with this evidence and independent information, can sue the council, no? The council have said they're not refunding. It doesn't mean you can't get your money back. Jesus, I've sued the council before for pothole damage. Maybe if others weren't such a bunch of tolerant and compliant sheep, they'd do the same. I'm not angry with the Council for drivers that can't see a pretty large blue sign saying buses and bikes only.

End of the day, your argument is that the bus lane fines should negate the benefits that the council have brought to the City. That's not only ridiculous, it's pathetic. You're only skill is arguing in platitudes. You bring no reason, debate or intelligence to the plate.

No, you can easily say why the things I am referring to aren't negative.

Are you reading different posts or just struggling a bit? I have already said I was just adding cons to your list, after a shaky start where you had no idea what I was talking about I had to explain why the bus lane thing was a negative. My point is more that you didn't / don't have a clue what I was referring to.

It's all well and good saying you aren't angry with the council for drivers not seeing the "signs". It's the same "signs" that the council have been advised to change / move / replace by adjudicators multiple times because they are easily missed / misleading or incorrect. The council have chosen to ignore the advice.

Maybe if you do a bit more googling you will get a bit more information and get there eventually. Again, just to confirm. I am just adding something to your list.

I am bringing plenty or reason or debate, it's just a shame you don't seem to have much of an idea about it. It's not much different to when people just try and argue about a football match because they have seen BBC stats.

Nick

Administrator
my issue with Friargate isn't the project itself but it appears that there was/is a chance that Virgin trains may stop calling at Coventry which is going to make moving to Friargate a hard sell.

I don't know how much that influenced the decision of the Chartered institute of whatever they were to pull out. It seemed to me that they should have had some sort of assurances prior to going ahead.

I think their "official" reason was that the building wasn't done on time as promised and couldn't find anything else here so shipped off to Birmingham. They "were" at Westwood Heath so not sure how reliant they were on the trains as I don't think they stop at Tile Hill?

Edit: I can't see them not stopping at Coventry, they even stop at Nuneaton!

WhaleOilBeefHooked

Interesting about Virgin Trains - I've not heard of this? I would have thought that Birmingham International would be more at risk - there appears to be so much more traffic at Coventry than International.

WhaleOilBeefHooked

No, you can easily say why the things I am referring to aren't negative.

Are you reading different posts or just struggling a bit? I have already said I was just adding cons to your list, after a shaky start where you had no idea what I was talking about I had to explain why the bus lane thing was a negative. My point is more that you didn't / don't have a clue what I was referring to.

It's all well and good saying you aren't angry with the council for drivers not seeing the "signs". It's the same "signs" that the council have been advised to change / move / replace by adjudicators multiple times because they are easily missed / misleading or incorrect. The council have chosen to ignore the advice.

Maybe if you do a bit more googling you will get a bit more information and get there eventually. Again, just to confirm. I am just adding something to your list.

I am bringing plenty or reason or debate, it's just a shame you don't seem to have much of an idea about it. It's not much different to when people just try and argue about a football match because they have seen BBC stats.

You're literally so fucking dull.

Yes Nick, you're right. I bow to your greatness.

Nick

Administrator
You're literally so fucking dull.

Yes Nick, you're right. I bow to your greatness.

I haven't said I am right. I have said I was adding things to your cons list which you still don't seem to fully grasp. Couldn't you find it on the council's website or something?

Corrado

Im sorry but there is no defending the council on the whole bus lane fine argument. It is very shady of them

clint van damme

Interesting about Virgin Trains - I've not heard of this? I would have thought that Birmingham International would be more at risk - there appears to be so much more traffic at Coventry than International.

here's the only article I can find at the moment but there were more on the CET website. I I will try and track them down later.
Some reassurances from 'failin' Chris Grayling - fills me with confidence!

Question marks remain over future of Coventry's train services

Users who are viewing this thread