Could we build a temp ground at UoW? (1 Viewer)

chiefdave

Lets assume there is something to the story of a new ground at the university, with the uni also posting a statement there seems to be. Could we build a temporary ground there while the main ground is going through planning and being built?

There's a fair bit of land up there, not entirely sure what belongs to the uni. Its certainly technically possible, several of the London Olympic venues were temporary.

Of course it sounds a bit ridiculous but its been done before. After the earthquake in New Zealand they built a new, temporary, stadium in 100 days. 18,000 capacity and designed to last 3-5 years. Was built by the company who handed London 2012 and also the new Spurs stadium.

0120432.jpg

Marty

Lets assume there is something to the story of a new ground at the university, with the uni also posting a statement there seems to be. Could we build a temporary ground there while the main ground is going through planning and being built?

There's a fair bit of land up there, not entirely sure what belongs to the uni. Its certainly technically possible, several of the London Olympic venues were temporary.

Of course it sounds a bit ridiculous but its been done before. After the earthquake in New Zealand they built a new, temporary, stadium in 100 days. 18,000 capacity and designed to last 3-5 years. Was built by the company who handed London 2012 and also the new Spurs stadium.

View attachment 16063

If they're serious about the new stadium, I can't why we'd need a second site, 3 temporary stands while building the permanent 4th, stand, then every summer teardown and replace one stand over the course of the season.

Kingokings204

I just can’t believe any of it. I know you said let’s assume but I really can’t.
I’m not having a go as it’s obvious we need to move on so I do agree but we really aren’t going to be building our new ground.

the timing was clearly to satisfy the EFL and fans. It was a quickly made up story with view to breaking Friday’s dreadful news. I just pray something happens and you are on to something.

mark82

I just can’t believe any of it. I know you said let’s assume but I really can’t.
I’m not having a go as it’s obvious we need to move on so I do agree but we really aren’t going to be building our new ground.

the timing was clearly to satisfy the EFL and fans. It was a quickly made up story with view to breaking Friday’s dreadful news. I just pray something happens and you are on to something.

I doubt University of Warwick have decided to go along with a quickly made up story.

AFCCOVENTRY

I doubt University of Warwick have decided to go along with a quickly made up story.

Exactly. They don’t get involved involved in these games.

Mark - wondering if on your next correspondence with Joy if you ask for fans to have regular monthly updates on the progression to building a stadium. Regular comms on the matter supported by evidence of site location to full build will gain a lot of support.

Hobo

Temp ground would cost money and still need planning permission. Surely it would just be a distraction from the main project.

Do a 5 year deal with BCFC and EFL and just crack on. The actual build need not take long. It is all the red tape bollocks before it ...

skybluetony176

I’ve been doing my best to keep out of these stadium threads but I will make one point and then clear off. History has told us that just because a third party is making a statement with the club doesn’t mean it has to give SISU unfettered credibility. We have been here before with Higgs, CRBE, Ex head of Coventry’s COC, CRFC etc. Given our history I wouldn’t rule out UOW just being someone else to add to the list and no more than that.

Esoterica

While it might not have been quickly made up, 'planning a partnership' is also nowhere near far enough down the line to demonstrate genuine commitment to actually building anything. SISU may have done a great job this week in further exposing the difficulties in dealing with Wasps but they've also hugely backed themselves into a corner now - on the subject of stadiums they have 0 credit in the bank and to be making noises about a new stadium, while now stuck at St Andrews indefinitely, has put themselves in last chance saloon. Any credit they have accumulated for the recent on the pitch success will rapidly be eroded if tangible progress is not seen quickly and regularly. Personally I'll be gobsmacked if anything meaningful has happened before Wasps bonds are due in 2022.

Last edited:

Sky Blue Pete

While it might not have been quickly made it up, 'planning a partnership' is also nowhere near far enough down the line to demonstrate genuine commitment to actually building anything. SISU may have done a great job this week in further exposing the difficulties in dealing with Wasps but they've also hugely backed themselves into a corner now - on the subject of stadiums they have 0 credit in the bank and to be making noises about a new stadium, while now stuck at St Andrews indefinitely, has put themselves in last chance saloon. Any credit they have accumulated for the recent on the pitch success will rapidly be eroded if tangible progress is not seen quickly and regularly. Personally I'll be gobsmacked if anything meaningful has happened before Wasps bonds are due in 2022.
What sort of anything meaningful would you need to see in the next 18 months?

Partnership formally agreed
Land designated
Planning permission with warwick district council?

Kingokings204

Exactly. They don’t get involved involved in these games.

Mark - wondering if on your next correspondence with Joy if you ask for fans to have regular monthly updates on the progression to building a stadium. Regular comms on the matter supported by evidence of site location to full build will gain a lot of support.

As I say I’m not having a go. But it’s hardly the first time is it. The butts was never going to happen but got a thousand pages on here on how great it would be. I agree it would have been amazing but it quickly fell apart. We must be honest.

Nick

Administrator
As I say I’m not having a go. But it’s hardly the first time is it. The butts was never going to happen but got a thousand pages on here on how great it would be. I agree it would have been amazing but it quickly fell apart. We must be honest.
That was another one nothing to do with the council

Magwitch

Good idea but you can’t build temporary roads and they will be Achilles heel of this project I’m afraid.

Sky Blue Pete

Sounds like ccc put the mockers on that though

Kingokings204

no I was being cynical but my point remains it’s no more than a chat between you and I about how one of us would like a Hilton hotel to own.

AFCCOVENTRY

Indeed. That’s what now more than ever they have to maintain a regular stream of news in relation to the new stadium plans. It’s not plain sailing of course. For example planning might fail and it’s back to square 1. But that’s fine, that’s the way the cookie crumbles. But we need to see the seriousness and progression now. That will be the only acceptable thing on this shit situation.

mark82

FWIW, the Butts was something that was seriously looked at in the past and as a temporary location for us. CRFC are supportive but the ground just isn't suitable either as a permanent or temporary home. Too many obstacles.

mark82

no I was being cynical but my point remains it’s no more than a chat between you and I about how one of us would like a Hilton hotel to own.

Yes, it's early stages. To be fair to them, we've been pushing for them to provide an update as soon as they can, and they have. The important bit now is how this is followed up. Regular communication will be key, but things like planning move slowly so we can't get upset if major updates take time but the communication needs to continue and it should be 2-way. If it is to happen, it needs to be something their customers are happy with.

SBT

What sort of anything meaningful would you need to see in the next 18 months?

Partnership formally agreed
Land designated
Planning permission with warwick district council?

I mean, if we're going to avoid the worst-case scenario of spending five more years playing in Birmingham, then we need all of the above to have happened in the next 18 months at a bare minimum.

Grendel

It's a bit more than that isn't it? Why would the Uni announce it?

NorthernWisdom

It's a bit more than that isn't it? Why would the Uni announce it?
All we have is a commitment to look at some land, with a coded appeal for investment and logistical partners. There's still no substance. Readings for Warwick can be:

• They believe it
  • It's merely expanding what they intend to do anyway
  • The cachet of a football club will help them get the investment they want in difficult times.

The more I think on it, the more I think it makes little difference to Warwick if we actually realise a ground or not, so them coming along for the journey is no risk to them, with maybe benefit. Their reputation won't suffer if it falls through. We, however, need to show more than a vague statement as we have a track record of such things.

This whole thing follows similar patterns to previous efforts, just more polished. Talk is cheap, we've had plenty of that.

Nick

Administrator
Interesting, worth keeping an eye on that.

Who is Martin Goodman?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Good idea but you can’t build temporary roads and they will be Achilles heel of this project I’m afraid.

But during the weeks there are tens of thousands around there for the uni and business parks. So this wouldn't be a great deal different. Yes, a number of the students would live nearby/on campus but that just needs a park-and-ride set up.

covcity4life

View attachment 16063

Great idea and even small scale 5 to 10k would do whilst building a real 1

Irish Sky Blue

I think that any venue in the Coventry area is far preferable to St Andrews. Ten to fifteen thousand would be okay for a temporary home. I seen somewhere on here that upwards of 20k people make their way in and out of the U of W everyday. The crowd for a football match on Saturday afternoon or Tuesday evening should be something that can be accommodated.
I was in Bath the other week visiting one of my son's who now lives in the area. We had a look at Bath RFC stadium which is in the city centre. It appears to have one permenant stand and three temporary ones. He tells me at the end of the season the three temporary structures are removed and the whole pitch area and surroundings reverts to a public park. If this is true it shows how easy it is to erect stands. I think the ground has something like 14k capacity.

Irish Sky Blue

The question could be are there any other suitable sites, probably outside CCC jurisdiction that could be used on a temporary basis. I've mentioned before the viability or otherwise of Brandon.

Nick

Administrator
Don't the Uni have something for athletics? I am no expert but I am sure i have seen something up there.

(Obviously it isn't going to be a championship quality stadium)

Mucca Mad Boys

What’s the end game here?

Do you believe the club’s goal is to obtain control of the RICOH?

If so, I’d like to know your thoughts on how the club could realistically go about this?

theferret

Why? A temporary ground of say 12,000 (not ideal, but we could manage for a few years) would mean around 3000 cars descending on the university on a matchday; far fewer than on a typical day there. They'd be no need for any road infrastructure changes.

shmmeee

What’s the end game here?

Do you believe the club’s goal is to obtain control of the RICOH?

If so, I’d like to know your thoughts on how the club could realistically go about this?

I think the end game is something, anything, that makes Joy feel vindicated at this point. I think it stopped being about CCFC or the financial aspects some time ago. I agree I can’t see how even a positive outcome for Sisu results in the club getting the Ricoh. I’m yet to be convinced if Wasps go bust they disappear and don’t just get reincarnated like football teams do. But I won’t pretend to understand rugby finances. Best bet is likely some cash settlement I’d guess. Though the way Sisu have dragged their heels on a new ground suggests they think the Ricoh is still a long term possibility. Otherwise they’d be a bit more motivated to get going on it.

Users who are viewing this thread