Could someone recommend a good Indian takeaway (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Daz

I usually use the shazlal on beake ave but the last 2 have been Crap
So any suggestions will be appreciated

dancers lance

The Ocean is good, but you can't beat The Rose Of Bengal on the Radford Rd, they don't deliver but don't let that put you off, I have never had better Indian food (even in supposedly top class over priced sit down joints) I have been going there 15 years and sometimes we try other places 'for a change' (by that I mean the wife tells me to) and they are never as good as the Rose.
The Ocean is always good.

Otis

The Ocean is good, but you can't beat The Rose Of Bengal on the Radford Rd, they don't deliver but don't let that put you off, I have never had better Indian food (even in supposedly top class over priced sit down joints) I have been going there 15 years and sometimes we try other places 'for a change' (by that I mean the wife tells me to) and they are never as good as the Rose.

Funny you say that, cos you see, we've had the Rose of Bengal recommended to us before and so we tried it (5 of us) and though it was plentiful, we found it distinctly average. Never tried again since.

All of us just sort of went meh with it. Wasn't bad, but wasn't good either.

SkyblueBazza

Highlands Tandoori - but if you live in Cov they won't deliver & it's a bit of a hike to collect

...onwards & upwards PUSB

dancers lance

As always, such complicated issues ultimately break down to a matter of personal taste, recommending places to eat is like recommending music, i may think it's the greatest music ever made, you might think it sounds like someone strangling a cat to a car alarm!
Funny you say that, cos you see, we've had the Rose of Bengal recommended to us before and so we tried it (5 of us) and though it was plentiful, we found it distinctly average. Never tried again since.

All of us just sort of went meh with it. Wasn't bad, but wasn't good either.

Terry Gibson's perm

I use the Agra Palace in Abbey Green in Nuneaton so the food might be a but cold by the time you get home.

Otis

As always, such complicated issues ultimately break down to a matter of personal taste, recommending places to eat is like recommending music, i may think it's the greatest music ever made, you might think it sounds like someone strangling a cat to a car alarm!
Well yep.

Someone once recommended the Hollybush to us in Hokbrooks, saying they did fantastic Indian food.

We went and I can honestly say, hand on heart, it was the worst meal I had ever had in my entire life of any cuisine anywhere. My missus felt the same. It was just awful, bland and tasteless.

Places change too over time, so that is a big factor. Best Indian meal I have had in the past 3 or 4 years was at the Mint in Earlsdon, but that was over 3 years ago. Whether it is still at the same standard, I don't know.

The Ocean is our local, so we eat there regularly and it's always been really good and at a consistently high standard.

To be honest, pretty much every Indian meal we've had at different places has been pretty good.

Nick

Administrator
Shazlahal usually but the last couple we have had have been pants too.

Millenium Balti isn't too bad but they are useless, always forget half the stuff and give it the "we will send it you free next time" shite.

Weavers Balti wasn;t too fussed on that, again I think they forgot stuff. Took about 2 hours too if I remember.

Marty

Shimla Spice by the old college is my personal favourite. Have to agree with otis about rose of bengal, average at best.

Pipehitterz

Well yep.

Someone once recommended the Hollybush to us in Hokbrooks, saying they did fantastic Indian food.

We went and I can honestly say, hand on heart, it was the worst meal I had ever had in my entire life of any cuisine anywhere. My missus felt the same. It was just awful, bland and tasteless.

Places change too over time, so that is a big factor. Best Indian meal I have had in the past 3 or 4 years was at the Mint in Earlsdon, but that was over 3 years ago. Whether it is still at the same standard, I don't know.

The Ocean is our local, so we eat there regularly and it's always been really good and at a consistently high standard.

To be honest, pretty much every Indian meal we've had at different places has been pretty good.
I did the mint about 4 years ago and it was the worst meal and service I've ever experienced . Horses for courses I suppose.
Takeaways I use the imran opposite the Devon

Otis

When we went the service was very slow, but the meal was excellent.

Also depends on what you have I guess. Apart from me, all my family are Korma extra mild types.

LastGarrison

After not too long ago doing 3 months backpacking around India I have got to say that I have now absolutely ruined Indian food for myself because everything over here is just (on the whole) sloppy tasteless crap!

dancers lance

Yes it was battered by Telegraph readers and online, I have never rated it, overpriced, very average cuisine with bad service and attitude.
Didn't turmeric gold get ripped to shreds lately ?
Lots of complaints because it had seriously gone down the pan

Sky_Blue_Daz

We tried Indiana last night it was lovely

Otis

Yes it was battered by Telegraph readers and online, I have never rated it, overpriced, very average cuisine with bad service and attitude.
But wasn't the battering over been charged incorrectly (possible simple error) and waiting times and slow service, rather than quality of food.

I've heard a few people say the Indiana is nice and had loads of people praise Tumeric Gold? Never been yet, bit do want to go at some point.

All very subjective isn't it.

No doubt if I were to say the Spice Girls are the best band ever, some idiot will pipe up on here and say 'oh no they're not!'

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread