Conor Thomas / Danny Swanson (1 Viewer)

ajsccfc

'Rant over' belongs with 'that is all', as if the person saying it has just dropped a truth bomb that's blown minds.

And that's the end of that chapter.

rupert_bear

Connor Thomas is part of a team on an eight match unbeaten run, yet appears in the frame to be the scapegoat once the run ends.

roo

Never posted here before, generally happy to use it to keep in touch with the club as I live away now. However the stick Connor Thomas gets is unfair... As someone said earlier, he's not a headline grabbing player... But count the number of times he picks up broken play and plays a simple ball... Allows the team to reform in transition... Knows when to keep it simple...
Read someone criticising a 5 yd pass on here the other day... Clearly someone that has never played football... Shift the ball 2 Yds and the perspective is different and the opposition have to change.

ccfcmustang

its all subjective isnt it really. Some people like him and some dont thats what a forum is all about but for me personally id rather have someone like Diagogura (whatever his name is) in the side rather than Conor Thomas. I forget who it is but someone on here sums it up perfectly for me "Conor Thomas - Doing nothing since 2011"

Gint11

Sorry i musnt understand the game, im 19 for a start and have played at academies across the midlands- blues, wolves, Villa, Stoke and played semi proffesionally at Hinckley United before they went under 3 years ago. PLease dont try and tell me i dont undertsand the game. Yes i didnt make it and before anyone pull the jealousy card- arent we all jealous of cov kids playing for our local team? Ive seen it before when players ive played with have gone to massive clubs then come back and thought they were the dogs ... funny because when i posted nearly the same comment about Conor Thomas a few weeks ago it was welcomed with praise. Funny isnt it how fickle football supporters are.

Let me explain. 3-5-2 is a defensive formation. All about building from the back. In the centre of the park there will normally be two players (fleck, o'brien) who are attack minded players to give the formation some creativity and forward thinkingness (if thats even a word) then you have a player who naturally sits and holds his position, helping the wingbacks when needed and coming short for an inside pass from them. This player is the one to win tackles and distribute the ball either out wide or to bring in one of the other centre midfielders who are playmakers. Conor Thomas isnt that player. He is weak on and off the ball and not by any means a ball winner. At times againist Gillingham and Yeovil fleck and o;brien could have been further forward if they were confident enough to allow Conor Thomas to win the ball. We didnt have bodies to throw forward and we were put under pressure.

I've just sent the chufty badge in the post for all the midland clubs you played for - you must know what your talking about then, silly me. OK you have explained the 3-5-2 formation in depth. You have pretty much contradicted yourself. Your original post and I quote a part " Instead of letting Fleck and O'Brien bomb on why dont we play Swanson and have them all bomb forward" but you just said " 3-5-2 is a defensive formation. In the centre of the park there will normally be two players (fleck, o'brien) who are attack minded players to give the formation some creativity and forward thinkingness (if thats even a word) then you have a player who naturally sits and holds his position, helping the wingbacks when needed and coming short for an inside pass from them. This player is the one to win tackles and distribute the ball either out wide or to bring in one of the other centre midfielders who are playmakers"

So if you understand the formation, why sack Thomas off and bring 3 creative players in that can all bomb on? I think that is exactly what Conor Thomas is there for and does allowing O Brien and Fleck to be creative. Also, your other point, is you seem to know what CT thinks obviously from a move to Liverpool. Mind reader as well.

covcity4life

chufty+badge.bmp

Otis

You've clearly only been to one game this season then? Because Thomas has been woeful the exception being Saturday

I would suggest you dig out the Sky Sports footage of the Gillingham game and watch the first 45 mins. Think you will find the lad hardly put a single foot wrong and had an excellent half. I'm not his biggest fan, but even I had to stand up and applaud just how good he was that day.

ajsccfc

It's good we've found our new official scapegoat, and at a time when we haven't lost since the opening day too. Solid.

stupot07

It's good we've found our new official scapegoat, and at a time when we haven't lost since the opening day too. Solid.

At least Allsop will sleep well tonight now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Gint11

I have an idea, lets drop Thomas and a few others, put all of our attack minded players on and play a 1-1-1-8 and we will win every week. Might please a few.

Otis

I have an idea, lets drop Thomas and a few others, put all of our attack minded players on and play a 1-1-1-8 and we will win every week. Might please a few.

What about playing a 1-10 formation and have all outfield players bombing forward.

We'd win eleventy billion nil every week.

ajsccfc

He can ask McSheffrey's advice later on how to be a scapegoat.

CT: I don't understand why I'm being slagged off, what did I do?
GM: Nothing since 2011 apparently, lol

Otis

Sorry i musnt understand the game, im 19 for a start and have played at academies across the midlands- blues, wolves, Villa, Stoke and played semi proffesionally at Hinckley United before they went under 3 years ago. PLease dont try and tell me i dont undertsand the game. Yes i didnt make it and before anyone pull the jealousy card- arent we all jealous of cov kids playing for our local team? Ive seen it before when players ive played with have gone to massive clubs then come back and thought they were the dogs ... funny because when i posted nearly the same comment about Conor Thomas a few weeks ago it was welcomed with praise. Funny isnt it how fickle football supporters are.

Let me explain. 3-5-2 is a defensive formation. All about building from the back. In the centre of the park there will normally be two players (fleck, o'brien) who are attack minded players to give the formation some creativity and forward thinkingness (if thats even a word) then you have a player who naturally sits and holds his position, helping the wingbacks when needed and coming short for an inside pass from them. This player is the one to win tackles and distribute the ball either out wide or to bring in one of the other centre midfielders who are playmakers. Conor Thomas isnt that player. He is weak on and off the ball and not by any means a ball winner. At times againist Gillingham and Yeovil fleck and o;brien could have been further forward if they were confident enough to allow Conor Thomas to win the ball. We didnt have bodies to throw forward and we were put under pressure.

Andy Thorn played at the higest level professionally at Wimbledon.

Tactically as a manager though, he was almost totally clueless and apparently didn't understand the game.

hill83

I used to run the 100 metres to a national level when I was in my early teens. So I know about pace and nobody else can have any say about it other than me.

END OF
RANT OVER

I've also got 30 pairs of socks.

Monners

No, cos that would be ridiculous.

You know nothing about football - plank.

My credentials? - I played for the same youth team (Ise Lodge Utd in the Weetabix youth league in Kettering) and went to the same school as Sean Dyche, and he is the "Ginger Morinho"

Otis

You know nothing about football - plank.

My credentials? - I played for the same youth team (Ise Lodge Utd in the Weetabix youth league in Kettering) and went to the same school as Sean Dyche, and he is the "Ginger Morinho"

Well, I can almost match that. I went to school with a dyke and used to have a whingeing ginger friend we used to call Moanio.

To top it all, I ate some Weetabix once too.

Skyblueweeman

Conor Thomas doesn't get any praise does he? When are people going to understand the game. Think about why he is in the team. Not every central midfielder is there to score goals for fun like a Lampard or a Scholes. Think about what he might be told to do by SP and what his role is. He is there to break up the oppositions play and get the team moving forward. Plenty of energy, simple passing, keep possession and work the ball forwards. For me he was excellent on Saturday. Calm, composed and always looks to play it simple.

A bit like Eric Djemba Djemba?

Gint11

A bit like Eric Djemba Djemba?

What's your point? There's plenty of footballers at high levels who do a similar role. I never said that Conor Thomas in a top notch player. I will defend him when he plays well.

Last edited:

ccfcmustang

Sorry to the Conor Thomas fan club, merely pointing out that i know quite a bit about the game, tactics and so forth has produced the most immature backlash ive ever seen.

Im sure that these people would love to have Matt Heath at centre half and James Scowcroft up front? What about top it off with a bit of kevin thornton in the centre of the park? I struggle to find a stregnth of Conor Thomas, is he strong, no. Pacey? no. Is he a ball winner? no. how about a playmaker? no. Passing ability? no better than jordan clarke. Does he put the ball in the net
? funnily enough, no. Stamina? probably yes, but Michael Doyle can run around all night but he is still shite.

So could you all take the next left straight out of Conor Thomas's arse.

hill83

Sorry to the Conor Thomas fan club, merely pointing out that i know quite a bit about the game, tactics and so forth has produced the most immature backlash ive ever seen.

Im sure that these people would love to have Matt Heath at centre half and James Scowcroft up front? What about top it off with a bit of kevin thornton in the centre of the park? I struggle to find a stregnth of Conor Thomas, is he strong, no. Pacey? no. Is he a ball winner? no. how about a playmaker? no. Passing ability? no better than jordan clarke. Does he put the ball in the net
? funnily enough, no. Stamina? probably yes, but Michael Doyle can run around all night but he is still shite.

Conor Thomas offers nothing to this football club. Just a kid who thinks hes better than everyone else because he had a trial at Liverpool. Rant over

Read that sentence again. You come across a twat. That's a fair part of the reason why you've got a backlash. You can tap dance around it all day. And then you going on one about who you played for and your age. Ironically, you are a kid who thinks he's better than everyone else because he's had a couple of trials.

Where's Beadle?

ENOUGH SAID
RANT OVER
PROUD MUMMY

Last edited:

Gint11

'merely pointing out that i know quite a bit about the game, tactics and so forth' -

Mike_Bassett_England_Manager_6202_Medium.jpg

Not a clue.

Hobo

Thomas has has had a tough time. But is showing signs he is coming through it. The lad has some talent and potential and not the shipwreck some would make out. I don't think Swanson is cover for him though. Swanson is more an O'Brien replacement or suited to a different formation.

I think we have the bases covered now in squad terms and it is up to individuals to perform. The one area we are lacking in is the defensive/ball winning midfielder. I think an addition there would help take the pressure off Thomas and I think that is what he needs more than anything.

kg82

Let's all throw some footballing cliches around and hope nobody sees through it!

Otis

Let's all throw some footballing cliches around and hope nobody sees through it!
Well I'm not going to resort to that, but I am over the moon Thomas is starting regularly, as he always gives 110% and puts in a shift.

covcity4life

otis appreciates the praise but its a team effort at the end of the day and he just wants to get his head down and concentrate on the next game.

Otis

otis appreciates the praise but its a team effort at the end of the day and he just wants to get his head down and concentrate on the next game.

I am completely out of shape, I can tell you that. Something akin to a butternut squash, but will give it a go though.

Just please don't have me 'bombing forwards.'

Or were you talking about Conor Thomas?

Last edited:

shmmeee

tumblr_msj7kwYMwg1sgl0ajo1_500.gif

Users who are viewing this thread