Conor Thomas / Danny Swanson (1 Viewer)

blueboy30

I like Conor Thomas but I just feel he hasn't pushed on this season yet,would like to see Danny Swanson start next couple of games what do people think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stupot07

It's a no for me, based on the fact they are different types of player. Swanson is a more of a fleck/o'brien hybrid, I think we need Thomas's energy as it frees space for fleck and o'brien as well as pressing high. I think we have to accept that he's there to do a specific job for SP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

kg82

They play a different role? Thomas has been great this season so far from what I've seen, he's been box to box, allows O'Brien to get forward and Fleck to have time on the ball. Also, don't change a winning team!

blueboy30

Fair comments just feel we cud do with a goal or 2 extra from midfield sure Swanson will get his chance at some point pusb

kg82

Fair comments just feel we cud do with a goal or 2 extra from midfield sure Swanson will get his chance at some point pusb

I don't disagree with that, but it then leaves us more exposed. I actually think Swansons been good as well from what I've seen, he's just been unlucky. He's great to have as an impact sub and I'm sure he'll get his chance soon to get a regular place.

SBS

From the last two games, it's clear that Fleck sits in the centre whilst Thomas and O'Brien do the majority of the running either side of him - closing down and tracking full backs so we aren't left exposed by having only one player on the wing.

Does Swanson have the stamina or discipline to do this? I seem to recall him letting the player cross for Bradford's third on the first day. Maybe a bit harsh singling out this one occassion, but you can see why Thomas is getting the nod.

ccfcmustang

how anyone can say that Conor Thomas is good enough to put on a Coventry City shirt is beyond me. Danny Swanson all day long. Instead of letting Fleck and O'Brien bomb on why dont we play Swanson and have thwm all bomb forward. Conor Thomas offers nothing to this football club. Just a kid who thinks hes better than everyone else because he had a trial at Liverpool. Rant over

Otis

how anyone can say that Conor Thomas is good enough to put on a Coventry City shirt is beyond me. Danny Swanson all day long. Instead of letting Fleck and O'Brien bomb on why dont we play Swanson and have thwm all bomb forward. Conor Thomas offers nothing to this football club. Just a kid who thinks hes better than everyone else because he had a trial at Liverpool. Rant over

Fleck, O'Brien and Swanson ALL bomb forwards?

Great plan .... not. Footballing suicide.

A lot of the time it isn't just about picking your best players, it is about picking players that work as a team and that compliment each other. You are looking to field the best team, not just pick 11 individuals who are the best players.

Swanson, Fleck AND O'Brien would never, ever work I don't think. Whether it is Conor Thomas or someone else, you need his type of player trait in a team like ours right now.

Gint11

Conor Thomas doesn't get any praise does he? When are people going to understand the game. Think about why he is in the team. Not every central midfielder is there to score goals for fun like a Lampard or a Scholes. Think about what he might be told to do by SP and what his role is. He is there to break up the oppositions play and get the team moving forward. Plenty of energy, simple passing, keep possession and work the ball forwards. For me he was excellent on Saturday. Calm, composed and always looks to play it simple.

Gint11

The way he plays, frees Fleck up to play make. Yes SP will want a chip in of goals from all of his midfielders but my main point is, Thomas does the kind of role that never gets noticed from fans or TV, He's not a 'star' but what he is, is a good team player and he contributes. People see he doesn't score 15 a season and think he's crap.

Otis

The way he plays, frees Fleck up to play make. Yes SP will want a chip in of goals from all of his midfielders but my main point is, Thomas does the kind of role that never gets noticed from fans or TV, He's not a 'star' but what he is, is a good team player and he contributes. People see he doesn't score 15 a season and think he's crap.

Look at City historically and I could name several players over the years who we have had who have played that sort of role and many of them have gotten stick because they go unnoticed, but are a valuable cog in the way the team functions and operates.

hill83

Where is the evidence he thinks he is better than everyone else? Shit thing to say.

There seems to be an inherent link between people talking shit and people saying 'rant over'.

Otis

Where is the evidence he thinks he is better than everyone else? Shit thing to say.

There seems to be an inherent link between people talking shit and people saying 'rant over'.

Surely a rant usually isn't very coherent by the very nature that it is indeed a rant. :D

covcity4life

Fleck, O'Brien and Swanson ALL bomb forwards?

Great plan .... not. Footballing suicide.

A lot of the time it isn't just about picking your best players, it is about picking players that work as a team and that compliment each other. You are looking to field the best team, not just pick 11 individuals who are the best players.

Swanson, Fleck AND O'Brien would never, ever work I don't think. Whether it is Conor Thomas or someone else, you need his type of player trait in a team like ours right now.

it has already this season hasn't it? not that i want thomas dropped.

who was in midfield for JPT? daniels,coubilaly and ??? we have options in midfield, connor is not indispensible or crap.

stupot07

who was in midfield for JPT? daniels,coubilaly and ??? we have options in midfield, connor is not indispensible or crap.

Does that also mean that fleck and o'brien are not indispensable or crap?

I'm just wondering whether the same logic applies...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

Otis

From what I have seen of Daniels, which is not a lot, he seems to be a more similar sort of player to Thomas.

What would happen I think if you had Swanson, O'Brien and Fleck in there, would be a Jack Wilshere England sort of situation against Switzerland, whereby he was asked to play a role that just wasn't at all natural for him and it clearly showed,

fernandopartridge

Clueless.

covcity4life

Does that also mean that fleck and o'brien are not indispensable or crap?

I'm just wondering whether the same logic applies...

i think thomas is palying well, i dont think hes on level of fleck and obrien personally. i wanna see connor stay in team whilst on form, but i dont think the midfield would collapse if he was swapped for swanson or coubilaly.

From what I have seen of Daniels, which is not a lot, he seems to be a more similar sort of player to Thomas.

What would happen I think if you had Swanson, O'Brien and Fleck in there, would be a Jack Wilshere England sort of situation against Switzerland, whereby he was asked to play a role that just wasn't at all natural for him and it clearly showed,

like i said i am sure we started season without thomas? and we have done ok? he shouldnt be dropped but isnt untouchable either.

SkyBlueJord

i think thomas is palying well, i dont think hes on level of fleck and obrien personally. i wanna see connor stay in team whilst on form, but i dont think the midfield would collapse if he was swapped for swanson or coubilaly.

Trouble with taking Thomas out of the squad and replacing him with a more attacking minded player, it'll reduce the amount of protection and time on the ball Fleck has been revelling in. Yes Thomas might not be the attacking threat of Swanson, but he allows Fleck that time to pull the strings.

covcity4life

Trouble with taking Thomas out of the squad and replacing him with a more attacking minded player, it'll reduce the amount of protection and time on the ball Fleck has been revelling in. Yes Thomas might not be the attacking threat of Swanson, but he allows Fleck that time to pull the strings.

sounds right on paper but during second half vs yeovil thomas was in the most advanced position of all 3 of our midfielders, almost entering no.10 territory!

Gint11

Complete and utter ignorance and lack of understanding of the game and roles on the pitch.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I think SP has changed Thomas's role in the team. When we were playing 442 relying on the speed and strength of Wilson & Clarke with a porous defence he was expected to stay deep to provide cover - a role he can do but not one he will excel at. Also when the front two partnership was broken the get out of jail card was of lump it forward was broken and the midfield more exposed and under pressure which exposed Thomas and dented confidence.

The change of system and the return to the Ricoh together with the strengthening at the back (in particular Reda) has allowed Thomas to get forward more, to break the lines more. He is more suited to that and that is what he was doing when he first got in to the side. The team needs the energy and legs he provides - however I also think that SP has to monitor it better because after 70 or so minutes he has run himself in to the ground and after that is when most of his mistakes and being eased off the ball happens.

I also think his work rate etc allows Fleck to play, which in turns provides the passing cohesion to the team. Both Thomas and Obrien can then choose their moments to support the front line but primarily compete in midfield. In addition when on top of his game Thomas can provide some telling passes as well as recycling the ball.

No one in the team should be irreplaceable - but I wouldn't change a winning starting lineup, particularly with the injury doubts we have in Nouble and McQuoid

covcity4life

No one in the team should be irreplaceable - but I wouldn't change a winning starting lineup, particularly with the injury doubts we have in Nouble and McQuoid

my thoughts exactly OSB

The Lurker

They play a different role? Thomas has been great this season so far from what I've seen, he's been box to box, allows O'Brien to get forward and Fleck to have time on the ball. Also, don't change a winning team!

You've clearly only been to one game this season then? Because Thomas has been woeful the exception being Saturday

ccfcmustang

Complete and utter ignorance and lack of understanding of the game and roles on the pitch.

Sorry i musnt understand the game, im 19 for a start and have played at academies across the midlands- blues, wolves, Villa, Stoke and played semi proffesionally at Hinckley United before they went under 3 years ago. PLease dont try and tell me i dont undertsand the game. Yes i didnt make it and before anyone pull the jealousy card- arent we all jealous of cov kids playing for our local team? Ive seen it before when players ive played with have gone to massive clubs then come back and thought they were the dogs ... funny because when i posted nearly the same comment about Conor Thomas a few weeks ago it was welcomed with praise. Funny isnt it how fickle football supporters are.

Let me explain. 3-5-2 is a defensive formation. All about building from the back. In the centre of the park there will normally be two players (fleck, o'brien) who are attack minded players to give the formation some creativity and forward thinkingness (if thats even a word) then you have a player who naturally sits and holds his position, helping the wingbacks when needed and coming short for an inside pass from them. This player is the one to win tackles and distribute the ball either out wide or to bring in one of the other centre midfielders who are playmakers. Conor Thomas isnt that player. He is weak on and off the ball and not by any means a ball winner. At times againist Gillingham and Yeovil fleck and o;brien could have been further forward if they were confident enough to allow Conor Thomas to win the ball. We didnt have bodies to throw forward and we were put under pressure.

SkyBlueJord

Sorry i musnt understand the game, im 19 for a start and have played at academies across the midlands- blues, wolves, Villa, Stoke and played semi proffesionally at Hinckley United before they went under 3 years ago. PLease dont try and tell me i dont undertsand the game. Yes i didnt make it and before anyone pull the jealousy card- arent we all jealous of cov kids playing for our local team? Ive seen it before when players ive played with have gone to massive clubs then come back and thought they were the dogs ... funny because when i posted nearly the same comment about Conor Thomas a few weeks ago it was welcomed with praise. Funny isnt it how fickle football supporters are.

Let me explain. 3-5-2 is a defensive formation. All about building from the back. In the centre of the park there will normally be two players (fleck, o'brien) who are attack minded players to give the formation some creativity and forward thinkingness (if thats even a word) then you have a player who naturally sits and holds his position, helping the wingbacks when needed and coming short for an inside pass from them. This player is the one to win tackles and distribute the ball either out wide or to bring in one of the other centre midfielders who are playmakers. Conor Thomas isnt that player. He is weak on and off the ball and not by any means a ball winner. At times againist Gillingham and Yeovil fleck and o;brien could have been further forward if they were confident enough to allow Conor Thomas to win the ball. We didnt have bodies to throw forward and we were put under pressure.

Toumani Diagouraga would've been the perfect signing to fill Thomas' position very well. Ball winning and reliable at this level.

skybluebennett

But Thomas isn't being used as a holding midfielder. He is more of a box to box man, providing energy to the team. Fleck is the one who has been sitting in the middle, almost akin to a xabi alonso role. Not necessarily the best tackler or holding midfielder but he is there for his passing ability.

covcity4life

But Thomas isn't being used as a holding midfielder. He is more of a box to box man, providing energy to the team. Fleck is the one who has been sitting in the middle, almost akin to a xabi alonso role. Not necessarily the best tackler or holding midfielder but he is there for his passing ability.

indeed

they all interchange, its not rigid.

which is great.

covcity4life

Its great now until one game where they are confused and can be blamed for a loss. Then suddenly everyone would be calling for a disciplined midfield three

only the idiots

i never stressed we were gonna be relegated

i never got on mquoid or tudgays back

and i have liked 352 from start and did not demand it was changed.

I AM AWESOME.

harvey098

Thomas is a very steady player. Good enough to get in most sides in this league but I agree, I don't think he fits into our formation. You can be workmanlike and still give something going forward... look at Jim O'Brien. I would have Swanson in above Thomas but who am I to question the bearded deity.

Users who are viewing this thread