Conor Chaplin (1 Viewer)

CJ_covblaze

I liked his work rate and attitude but he didn’t score enough. I didn’t get why a lot of our fans were screaming out for us to sign him in the first place. He hadn’t set the world alight at Pompey. In terms of production, this season has been poor to average so far which is an improvement to be fair to him.

Ccfcisparks

I liked his work rate and attitude but he didn’t score enough. I didn’t get why a lot of our fans were screaming out for us to sign him in the first place. He hadn’t set the world alight at Pompey. In terms of production, this season has been poor to average so far which is an improvement to be fair to him.
I’d say 12 goals 6 assists for a poor Barnsley team in the championship is much better than poor to average

Liquid Gold

Chaplin is poor after scoring 12 in the Championship while Burge is unfairly treated after being on the bench for a mid table team.

Great minds of the SBT everyone.

usskyblue

giphy.gif

Irish Sky Blue

I've stated quite clearly in the post it worked out in the end - more than worked out in fact. You can't question Chaplin's ability but the fact the club managed to double it's money on a player who returned 8 goals in the previous season is nothing short of a feat. I doubt even MR believed the club would gain such a return on Chaplin in such a short space of time.

Some transfers don't work out, that's a certainty in football. The Chaplin transfer is a prime example of this, with the exception of course that the club luckily managed to convert the transfer into a profitable transaction. But it's naive to believe this is the rule rather than the exception. Hence why rather than considering this as a slight on MR's record I actually think it was an excellent learning curve for him and will only benefit the club in the future. I think it's safe to say he probably won't want to allow himself to put his eggs in one basket with a player again - because at the end of the day it's doubtful that he'd be as fortunate next time when attempting to recoup money spent on a player who's realistically had a poor season given the initial level of expectation.
Fair enough, but I would still disagree. I felt Chaplin still had a lot to offer, something he has perhaps shown by his performances for Barnsley in a higher league.

Rodders1

Not read this thread, but if we are planning to play the same formation next season, ie the box midfield, Chaplin would work really well. I rated him. Just didn’t play to his strengths.

CJ_covblaze

I’d say 12 goals 6 assists for a poor Barnsley team in the championship is much better than poor to average

10 goals isn’t a terrible return but 12-15 is the minimum I’d want from a striker at this stage of the season.

Users who are viewing this thread