Concrete Gutters

CrawleySkyBlue

Feb 21, 2018
There must be an expert on here...

Purchasing a new house which has concrete guttering. Is there anything I should be looking out for in relations to possible problems arising due to the concrete guttering? Or is it not a bad an issue as its made out in a few places online?

Thanks for anyone who can provide any insight.

Adge

Jun 26, 2015
There must be an expert on here...

Purchasing a new house which has concrete guttering. Is there anything I should be looking out for in relations to possible problems arising due to the concrete guttering? Or is it not a bad an issue as its made out in a few places online?

Thanks for anyone who can provide any insight.
Bit of a disaster regarding repairs if they start leaking etc. What we have done in the past if people don’t want to spend too much is just put half round deep flow guttering inside the concrete gutter. 👍

Kneeza

Feb 2, 2012
Over There
Taylor Wood Row House with Finlock gutters?
Bastard things.
My best mate had one in Burgess Hill for about 30 years. Sold it last year.
His leaked. The first cure attempt was a coating inside the gutter, which wasn't very effective, and still caused damp along the top of the bedroom etc walls.
Second attempt was a formed aluminium type of liner which did the trick for him.
Apparently the best fix is to have the bottom couple of rows of tiles lifted to give access for a machine which cuts off the gutter section (the rest stays in place as it forms the lintel over the window frame. A waterproof shedder is then put in place and the tiles dropped back on, barge boards affixed and conventional plastic gutters installed. All quite expensive, but a negotiation point.
Check all upstairs window frames for sagging, and be prepared for hassle!

CrawleySkyBlue

Feb 21, 2018
Taylor Wood Row House with Finlock gutters?
Bastard things.
My best mate had one in Burgess Hill for about 30 years. Sold it last year.
His leaked. The first cure attempt was a coating inside the gutter, which wasn't very effective, and still caused damp along the top of the bedroom etc walls.
Second attempt was a formed aluminium type of liner which did the trick for him.
Apparently the best fix is to have the bottom couple of rows of tiles lifted to give access for a machine which cuts off the gutter section (the rest stays in place as it forms the lintel over the window frame. A waterproof shedder is then put in place and the tiles dropped back on, barge boards affixed and conventional plastic gutters installed. All quite expensive, but a negotiation point.
Check all upstairs window frames for sagging, and be prepared for hassle!
You guessed it, Taylor Woodrow in Crawley. Is it best to avoid altogether?

Kneeza

Feb 2, 2012
Over There
I'm not sure TBH. Half of Sussex seems to be built like that, post-war, so I bet a lot of them have already been sorted. In my mate's little close of about 16 semis, most have been done - mostly by being re-lined, and I don't think too many have issues now. He tells me (I called him this afternoon) that his ex next door neighbour has recently had his done too (ally lined) and is pleased with the result. He reckons there are several companies that do the repairs and full replacement. Probably best get a few quotes. He mentioned about 3k, but I'm not sure if that was for a hipped roof (three sides on a semi, four on a detached) or for just front and back. I may have got the cost totally wrong though, so don't base any offers on that !
Definitely a good bargaining chip though if you prepare up front, and don't mind the rework disruption.