Concerned now (2 Viewers)

Saddlebrains

You said a short while ago that the signings were ones that you had been told to be excited about, does that still hold true?

Apparently so. But you want to add exciting signings to the already solid ones you have, not lose them no?

PVA

25k/week to around 20k/week isn't considerably less.

Do you think he signed for us on less than 20k/week?

If your boss told you you're getting 20% less from now on would you just brush that off as fine because it 'isn't considerably less'? I doubt it.

I don't know what he signed for. That's the point. Grendel is speaking with absolute authority on something we know nothing about. The only thing we know for certain is his wage at Chelsea - the rest is conjecture.

Mucca Mad Boys

Apparently so. But you want to add exciting signings to the already solid ones you have, not lose them no?

Yes but you can’t stand in a player’s way really, if you cash in between £15-25m you’ve got enough cash to fund quality players. Add some kickbacks from Hamer and Gyokeres and you’ve got a good war chest.

Try being more optimistic, we’ve got a better squad overall than last year.

JSL

Who are you referring to? The only signing that doesn’t look worth what we paid is Kitching and we chased him all Summer
Yes I was referring to Kitching. I was unaware that we had tracked him all summer and I was under the illusion that we went for him when McNally was priced out of our range with not a lot of time left in the transfer window. As said, when people know you have money to spend, they will ask silly money. Binks was a last minute dot com loan and he's hardly played but arguably he should have done.

shmmeee

Yes I was referring to Kitching. I was unaware that we had tracked him all summer and I was under the illusion that we went for him when McNally was priced out of our range with not a lot of time left in the transfer window. As said, when people know you have money to spend, they will ask silly money. Binks was a last minute dot com loan and he's hardly played but arguably he should have done.

We first went in for Kitching a few days after the PO final.

JSL

We first went in for Kitching a few days after the PO final.
I stand corrected. It still remains that we only had 2 centre banks and a loan by the last week of August. What was the contingency if Kitching didnt sign?

SBT

25k/week to around 20k/week isn't considerably less.

Do you think he signed for us on less than 20k/week?
While I appreciate you actually providing the receipts, if he went from making £110k a month with Chelsea, to £1 million a year with us, then that’s considerably less, yes. (It’s also less than £20k a week)

shmmeee

I stand corrected. It still remains that we only had 2 centre banks and a loan by the last week of August. What was the contingency if Kitching didnt sign?

We had Fadz Thomas and Latubeaudiere id imagine the plan is to do what we did and play three at the back. He didn’t consistently get in the side until the end of October.

Great_Expectations

Sheaf will be a massive loss. Building a team around him, Simms, Wright, EMC, Sakamoto, MVE, with a full pre season in Torp and an ever improving Eccles is exciting.

I put on the other Sheaf thread, it isn’t just his footballing ability. He’s been here a few years, knows what MR/AV expect, is respected by others and is a calming influence.

However, as genuinely gutting as it’ll be if he goes, he is replaceable (and I say that as a Sheaf fan from day one). The key is someone as near to ready made as we can find. We need to hit the ground running next season.

Still a strong squad and importantly we’re starting from a better position than last year. Get our business done early and it’s still exciting times ahead.

long way home

Time to bring in a ready made Captain someone that will drive the team on. We need some smarts in team, someone that will demand high standard and at least 100% effort from all around him. A Doyle type i know it goes against the model but to get the good young players over the line they need help.

I have watched too many games this season where we are way to passive and look flimsy without the ball. Too quiet and too many times show no bite with out the ball.

Grendel

That is his Chelsea wage. There is no evidence of his wage at Bristol City (or of course his wage here).

He was given the same wage at Bristol - hardly taking less and Pearson when interviewed said it. Which is why they wanted him gone.

He had a year to run on that wage and turned Cardiff down as they would not match that salary in his contract

When he signed the wage bill was well over £30 million and he was the highest paid player - at £1.2 million a year and was going to stick it out unless a club matched the wages for the remainder of the contract

Grendel

Come on Boosh, help me out! Just one link to the court case that uncovered his Bristol City salary!

it’s already been linked

nicksar

My understanding is that Kasey was on £20k a week at Bristol City and Coventry took on his remaining year of that contract with no transfer fee involved,he earns less than that per week with us now although still one of our highest earners.

David O'Day

Him and McNally play in different positions in the system we had at the start of the season. Kitching plays were Doyle did if we play a 3 and it's Thomas who plays were McNally did.

McNally who it seems hasn't been great at all at stoke.

David O'Day

My understanding is that Kasey was on £20k a week at Bristol City and Coventry took on his remaining year of that contract with no transfer fee involved,he earns less than that per week with us now although still one of our highest earners.
This, basically instead of paying something around a million for him we just took over his remaining year and yep he is now on less money.

MrBlueFace

There will be a lot of 'surprising' incomings in the Summer. Not ones that typically match our model. Let's wait and see!

Boicey

The wage bill must be the biggest concern for Doug. Especially as we seem to be paying so much to average players like Palmer and Kitching and we desperately need more (expensive) quality in.

mmttww

So what? They were cheap signings (£0 and £0.5m) to fill out a squad. Not every player is going to be a £3M+ signing who goes to the PL.

Exactly. People acting like they've been jilted because two freebies aren't tearing it up. Doing my head in!

Grendel

The wage bill must be the biggest concern for Doug. Especially as we seem to be paying so much to average players like Palmer and Kitching and we desperately need more (expensive) quality in.

Yes. People seem oblivious to the fact our operational losses are at least £7 million a year. If Gyokeres does not move and we cannot sell Sheaf we have no capacity to operate in the transfer market.

Money has been squandered on Kitching and wages and long contracts to the likes of Dasilva.

Who can we buy when we are losing that much money?

Gynnsthetonic

Sheaf, OHare, Gykores, Callum Doyle, Simms came from the Premier league, Your Kitchins, Da Silva, Collins Latibeaudiere etc were not, that premier quality does count for something

MrBlueFace

Rumours that levels of 'maturity' are going to have to increase next year. Robins not happy with current groups mentality.

mmttww

Here's why I'm not concerned...

Simms, Wright, MVE
Good enough to play in a side that goes up automatically. Might be PL standard eventually.

Thomas, Kitching, Sakamoto, Torp
Look good enough to play in a top-six side and three of them have age on their side to develop.

Latibeaudiere, Collins, JDS
Shown in spells that they're as good as the second group, all have question marks against them.

That's last summer's recruitment from my POV. I'll back the same team to deliver in the summer.

mmttww

You seem to have quite a strange definition of ‘freebie’. I’m not sure Doug would agree.

What's the point in being pedantic here?

You know exactly what I meant.

Last edited:

SkyblueTexan

Agree that I am concerned. Usually we start poorly and finish the season strong. That usually sets up nicely for the next season. This season we started like shit and are finishing it even shittier (if that’s a word). Sandwiched in between was a run that coincided with Bidwell and Sakamoto getting extended minutes and playing in a formation that suits us. Conveniently we had the “gelling” excuse in the start and the “fatigue” excuse for the last month or so. We need to get some non-nonsense leaders in, build out a much bigger and better squad with permanent signings and loans (yes DK loans), retain the talent we have, get rid of the deadwood (some of which are in long contracts) . Only then can we get promoted. The long cup run has done more damage than good and we lost the plot on what was more important (league vs cup) along the way.

higgs

Whatever we do I hope we get our business done early

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Reactions: JSL

The watchmaker

Ha, the transfer window hasn't even opened yet and... Let the bed wetting commence!!!

Sheaf is a good player but we are looking at losing 1/2 first team players this season (Sheaf/O'Hare) on our terms. That will be less players than the vast majority of the teams in our division.

TomRad85

Is Sam Gallagher available on a free? Wonder if we're interested given the rumoured interest last summer.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread