Match Thread Colchester United vs. Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 9th Nov (2 Viewers)

Nick

Administrator
Discuss the Colchester United vs. Coventry City match, tactics and predictions :)

Briles

Its going to be interesting with our striker situation. Will he risk Baka as our only recognised 1st team striker with a tough run of fixtures to come?

Skyblueol

I imagine it’ll be a slightly second team that is played. Wilson, Watson, Drysdale, Williams, Mason etc would like to see some youth players given another chance bapaga, Eccles etc. Personally think a draw is the best result for us if the fixture is rescheduled before Sunderland meaning max would be back for Sunderland away!

fernandopartridge

I imagine it’ll be a slightly second team that is played. Wilson, Watson, Drysdale, Williams, Mason etc would like to see some youth players given another chance bapaga, Eccles etc. Personally think a draw is the best result for us if the fixture is rescheduled before Sunderland meaning max would be back for Sunderland away!
It'll be the strongest team possible, we can't afford to go out of the cup in the first round

pusbccfc

Would love a cup run like 2 years ago.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Think it might be a mix of both but more likely to err towards the first XI, with maybe some U23's on the bench. MR won't want to lose to lower league opposition as that can so often see us slide into a period of bad results. Still unsure when the suspensions are due to start.

____________Wilson
_____Rose___Fadz*___Hyam
Watson________________Mason
Westbrooke___Kelly___Shipley
______Biamou*___Baka

Subs: Marosi, Drysdale*, McCallum, Dabo, Hiwula/Kasta (depending on fitness), Walsh, Bremang*

Definitely would be looking to bring Biamou and Fadz (if they're eligible to play) off after about an hour if possible to give their replacements for upcoming games time on the pitch together. I'd probably go with Bremang as he looks like he'd be more of a similar player to Biamou but he wasn't played against U23's yesterday so not likely MR will be looking that way. I'd also possibly put N'Gandu on the bench instead of Walsh to see if we could get him some minutes as part of his progression but again I don't think MR will lean that way.

Would rather not risk Jones or Allen for this and instead let them build up a bit in 23's first.

Expect another tight game even against lower league opposition and don't want to predict an outcome given I'm not even sure who can play!

EDIT: Just realised I missed O'Hare out. So maybe bring him in for Westbrooke and put Westbrooke on the bench in place of Walsh.

Last edited:

cc84cov

Its going to be interesting with our striker situation. Will he risk Baka as our only recognised 1st team striker with a tough run of fixtures to come?
Not too sure if he does I’ll see you all in January once we’ve sorted it ;)

Sky Blue Harry H

Colchester local rag suggests their manager may play some fringe players due to their schedule too.

Legia Sky Blue

If Mason replaces McCallum and therefore stops him from being cup tied, it might be a sign that the rumours that we are looking to cash in on McCallum come the transfer window might have some weight behind them.

CanadianCCFC

These are in the league cup quarter final and have already beat Spurs and Palace on pens. They don’t need 2 good cup runs do they?

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Going to depend on whether the other strikers step up without Biamou and Godden. But goals need to come from the rest of the team too. Narrow win 1 nil

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

If Mason replaces McCallum and therefore stops him from being cup tied, it might be a sign that the rumours that we are looking to cash in on McCallum come the transfer window might have some weight behind them.
Or in a mad world, it could be just that Robins wants to give both our left backs game time. Not everything is some mad conspiracy. Mason was first choice and in a lot of peoples opinion player of the season so far up until about four games ago. I also don't think anyone who will be in to sign McCallum will be put off by him possibly being cup tied for one or two FA Cup games.

harvey098

Going to depend on whether the other strikers step up without Biamou and Godden. But goals need to come from the rest of the team too. Narrow win 1 nil

In fairness to Bakayoko, goals aren't the issue... It's his all round play which he gets stick for. If you look at his goals / minute ratio, it's pretty good. I just don't he adds enough other than his goals.

Paxman II

Don't think we can leave first 11 without game time for over two weeks, so a near full strength side for me and ease through in the cup. Hiwula needs game time and suggestion is he is near fit so an important game for him to get his legs back.

ccfc1234

I know!! You could drive to Colchester or listen to commentary on the radio as that will be available?

steve82

For years the FA Cup is a competition I look forward to and a break in league action, I woke up early from a night shift to secure tickets early as I thought there would be a high demand for this and easily sell out near 1800 allocation.

Cannot help but feel deflated with just over 600 tickets sold given we as a club travel so well all over.

Really hope the numbers pick up today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sky Blue Harry H

A lot of expensive away games recently, and not one to warm the cockles. Fair play to all going. I'm just about to sort arrangements for Shrewsbury away, as I've not been there before. Happy with a draw or win ( draw because it'll use up a Max suspension game)

Warwickhunt

We need Baka to get his game going and start using his physical strength to hold he ball up for the midfielders to come onto. I look at the Champions league games and most of the time their strikers are lone runners and the ball sticks to them like a magnate, I wish our front players could do that? Closest i have seen in league one is Ivan Toney he is excellent at it!

larry_david

I feel at this point in the season, with injuries and suspensions if kastaneer doesn't get given a chance or nail that chance, we might as well bin him of come jan

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Think I'll give up with the SBT Bookies thing. No-one in admin gives a shit about it. If you aren't going to maintain it, take it off!

Great_Expectations

Confident of a victory, despite their impressive league cup run and form. I think MR will have them fired up, as momentum is important, especially heading into a tough few league games.

The team will be a mixture of first team and youth/fringe, with the former the majority. Whatever team he picks I just hope he stays with two up front.

I’d go:

Wilson
Watson Hyam Drysdale Rose McCallum
Kelly Walsh
O’Hare
Biamou Bremang

Not sure on the rules but if Biamou is suspended then swap for Baka, otherwise I’d get the most out of Max knowing he can’t play the next few. I know Bremang staring is unlikely in which case it will be Kast again.

I really hope we do well, a cup run would be great for us as fans and would also help raise awareness of our situation.

johnwillomagic

Hmm I think we will pick quite a strong team tbh

Marosi
Dabo
Mason
Hyam
Rose
MacFadz
Kelly
Walsh
O'Hare
Hiwula