Cody Mac (1 Viewer)

From the games I've seen of Cody (season ticket holder plus went to Portman Road and the New Den) I have seen nothing to suggest he was lazy. I thought he did more running and had a higher work rate than Jutkiewicz most of those times as well.

God help anyone coming to our cliub if we're going to write them off after 5/6 games.

He was finding the positions and now just needs to find his goalscoring touch which he had last season.

I agree he worked hard, just needed to get a relationship going with juke so he knew where to be on the park to receive the knock down. Would still like to see Mac - Platt front two. Gardner at the tip (if we are still playing the diamond). Could be quite some force. You don't score 20 something goals in league 2 from being a lazy git.

kg82

From the games I've seen of Cody (season ticket holder plus went to Portman Road and the New Den) I have seen nothing to suggest he was lazy. I thought he did more running and had a higher work rate than Jutkiewicz most of those times as well.

God help anyone coming to our cliub if we're going to write them off after 5/6 games.

He was finding the positions and now just needs to find his goalscoring touch which he had last season.

That's what does my head in, people writing him off after such a short space of time. In fact, I think somebody's even put on this thread that he's the worst striker they've ever seen play for the club! They're obviously forgetting such beauties like Simon Howarth and Trevor Benjamin who, incidentally, both had longer than McDonald's had so far! He hasn't seemed lazy to me either and the game against Ipswich he got into some great positions.

The Reverend Skyblue

I totally agree word for word what kg82,sterling archer,zimmerman,ccfcsteve, and La lucha have said, and its far easier just using referencing like this than writing my opinion down.

The Rev

skybluesteve76

No I wouldn't as I've already stated on this thread more than once. We've already lost lots of points from winning positions and I've not reacted like that once. I would rather be brave and go down fighting. Again at risk of repeating myself, as we sat back we could have easily lost regardless since they missed some glaring opportunities late on.

Incidentally I usually try and post my opinions without advising someone to "get a grip" over theirs, so perhaps you should actually practice what you preach? Just a thought.

At the risk of repeating myself, we got a precious point against a top six side. Bombing on in the last ten minutes would of cost us the game. It's a point gained, that may mean we arent relegated until march rather than feb! I just think to risk losing a point in our current situation is ludicrous!

ICHAN

Think some people expected him to come in and score goals for fun.
Why some people don't give new players a chance is beyond me and yet some of the more experianced players who should know how to play at this level can still produce dross on the field but still get the backing of some fans.
Gardner had better score a hat-trick and set up 5 goals in his first match(ok excessive but I am sure some get the point)otherwise he'll be classed as shit by some even if is only on for 45 mins.
No-wonder no-one wants to play for us and some leave and go on to critisise the fans here, cody's proberly scared stiff as he's proberly been told don't make a mistake otherwise you'll be crucified by the fans.

ICHAN

I started a similar thread a few weeks ago about cody not getting a chance and got the same he's lazy useless worst player etc etc, some of this really does begger belief yet freddie some want him to play, ok we may need more experianced players but he has shown season after season that he is not interested, it is not just AT who has not given him a chance, so whatever is going on it has to be freddies all round attitude towards the club not managers.
At least cody wants to play for us so why can some not give him a break?
Will these same people say he's shit if he started scoring regularly for us or would they be saying " I always knew he was a great finisher and needed time to settle in"

Sterling Archer

Trevor Benjamin!!!! There's a name I had forgotten! Didn't he only score 1 for us and that hit him on the arse before going in?

Kevin Kyle is easily still one of the worst professional footballers I have ever seen, let alone worst CCFC striker.

kg82

Trevor Benjamin!!!! There's a name I had forgotten! Didn't he only score 1 for us and that hit him on the arse before going in?

Kevin Kyle is easily still one of the worst professional footballers I have ever seen, let alone worst CCFC striker.

That is correcto!! Shaun Goater wasn't much better either!

coop

Cody mac will come good I think he needs a decent run in the team, like all strikers they need confidence and he's not going to get that sat on his arse on a matchday.When you need points like we do you don't bring a defender on with 20 minutes to go like AT has done most of the season.

Nonleagueherewecome

Strongly disagree, and I can't take anyone seriously who thinks he works as hard as Lukas. Lukas does the closing down of 11 Cody McDonalds. The only sense in which I'm picking him on is in that I watched him like a hawk. I'm not "writing him off", I'm judging him based on what I've seen (ST holder). His attitude on the pitch is every bit as bad as Eastwood, incredibly lazy and lackadaisical, and he doesn't have his technical ability or touch.

Nonleagueherewecome

I started a similar thread a few weeks ago about cody not getting a chance and got the same he's lazy useless worst player etc etc, some of this really does begger belief yet freddie some want him to play, ok we may need more experianced players but he has shown season after season that he is not interested, it is not just AT who has not given him a chance, so whatever is going on it has to be freddies all round attitude towards the club not managers.
At least cody wants to play for us so why can some not give him a break?
Will these same people say he's shit if he started scoring regularly for us or would they be saying " I always knew he was a great finisher and needed time to settle in"

No, I'd say "at last, he's pulled his finger out of his fat arse"!

WillieStanley

There's certainly something amiss. One minute it was all how great he's been in training and that he just needs to get his sharpness back and the next he's benched and that's all we have to say on the matter thank you very much.

There's got to be more to it than what we can see. Maybe another Whelan/Thornton? As we saw when he signed, a lot of Norwich fans were disappointed to see him go as they thought he'd be great at this level should they get relegated. There's got to be a reason he was loaned out by Lambert and then benched by us. Bad egg maybe? He showed his potential to me, the few glimpses I've had of him...

WillieStanley

Still no harm in throwing him on for a bit!! Cody scored his first Ricoh goal and not long after he was taken off... I think that might have been the last we saw of him (I might be wrong).

And that doesn't take anything away from Platt or Juke. I've been one of the biggest critics of Platt but I haven't a bad word to say at the moment. He's scoring goals and providing that bit of experience we needed.

Nonleagueherewecome

Still no harm in throwing him on for a bit!! Cody scored his first Ricoh goal and not long after he was taken off... I think that might have been the last we saw of him (I might be wrong).

And that doesn't take anything away from Platt or Juke. I've been one of the biggest critics of Platt but I haven't a bad word to say at the moment. He's scoring goals and providing that bit of experience we needed.

He started against Southampton and got pulled wide left fairly early on as we tried to stem the tide. If you didn't notice him, I wouldn't be surprised...that half he was "playing" right in front of where we sit, and all 3 of my mates were unanimous in their disgust at his attitude to tracking back and closing down. OK, he's not a winger, but Juke is a forward and he doesn't have a problem with trying now and again.

I'll repeat what I've been told; Thorn expected him to have lost a lot more weight by now than he has, but he doesn't graft in training, either. Maybe he just can't step up to the level of fitness needed at our level? He's not long been full-time, after all. But the phrase "another Freddy Eastwood" was uttered by one of our best first team players. The same player last week said "I'm still pulling my weight, but I could tell you of half-a-dozen who aren't". See if you can name the full 6, it's fun!

Grendel

I think we have to accept we have signed a dud. NLHWC reference to Lambert off-loading him is a valid one. In the same way I was always sceptical of Eastwood as McCarthy is a shrewd manager and would not let a quality player leave. I think McDonald has been appalling in his attitude. He is clearly unfit (not lacking in match practice just unfit) and that shows volumes towards his attitude and approach. I don't think in all the time of I have been watching the team I have ever seen such a poor approach from a debutant. Nothing to to do with performance but ATTITUDE. I referred to him as a new Ashley Grimes. What I meant by that was that he at the time was introduced pre-season as the only cash signing that season and he was hopeless. This looks like going the same way to me. Kyle was far better, at least he tried.

Grendel

If he is not your definition of lazy I would hate to think who is. He should be sponsored by McDonald's, he clearly likes his fast food (as opposed to being fast).

skybluesteve76

There's certainly something amiss. One minute it was all how great he's been in training and that he just needs to get his sharpness back and the next he's benched and that's all we have to say on the matter thank you very much.

There's got to be more to it than what we can see. Maybe another Whelan/Thornton? As we saw when he signed, a lot of Norwich fans were disappointed to see him go as they thought he'd be great at this level should they get relegated. There's got to be a reason he was loaned out by Lambert and then benched by us. Bad egg maybe? He showed his potential to me, the few glimpses I've had of him...

Whelan was superb for us!

scott1694

seeing as juke and platt are playing well together recently think thorn should use cody as an impact player, bring him on after 60-70 mins when fitness starts coming into it, would of run rings round turner after the battle he'd had with juke/platt

SkyBlue_Bear83

I don't think a partnership of Juke and Cody will work, Juke>Mcdonald so therefore the people with the shirt at the moment are Juke and Platt. Mcdonald at the moment should be used when Juke starts to tire in the second half, I have been surprised to not see him even used as a substitute in the last few games.

Grendel

I don't think a partnership of Juke and Cody will work, Juke>Mcdonald so therefore the people with the shirt at the moment are Juke and Platt. Mcdonald at the moment should be used when Juke starts to tire in the second half, I have been surprised to not see him even used as a substitute in the last few games.

I'm surprised he is even on the bench.

Disorganised1

I'm sorry but I've got to take issue with the statement "McCarthy is a shrewd manager" unless shrewd means paranoid windbag.

Grendel

I'm sorry but I've got to take issue with the statement "McCarthy is a shrewd manager" unless shrewd means paranoid windbag.

No it means "get promotion from the Championship" or it could mean "let's flog Eastwood for even more than we paid for him even though he's scored one goal for us" or perhaps just the fact he is more of a manager than Coleman, Boothroyd and Thorn put together - take your pick - Ferguson is paranoid - so what?

shmmeee

Erm, why? Is what you say goes, nobody else can be patient and give him a little bit more time? I'll save my judgement before outcasting him thanks

I wouldn't worry I've seen all the following described as duds at this point in their City career:

Dann
Best
Juke
Turner

Our fans aren't exactly known for their patience.

kg82

I wouldn't worry I've seen all the following described as duds at this point in their City career:

Dann
Best
Juke
Turner

Our fans aren't exactly known for their patience.

Surprising isn't it considering how long we've gone without anything to really shout about! Surely we should be the most patient fans in the world!

ICHAN

Some fans think there managers and know a players capabilities after a couple of games.
Your list is proberly short by quite a lot I should imagine shmmeee, as unless they come out of the racing blocks full steam ahead, there crap and should not be playing for us, luckely more go on to prove those who show some patients with players and reserve there judgements longer than a couple of games that they were right and this out weighs those who do just fail to step upto the mark.
Terrace players always think they can play better.

ron obvious

Norwich View

Hi all. Norwich fan here.

It's all very puzzling. At ours he became a really popular guy; amiable, adaptable (played as emergency goalie once) hardworking & unselfish (remember him crossing for a Holt tap-in when he could probably have scored himself). Personally thought he should have been loaned out to a Champ. club - but I'd never argue with Lambert's judgement!

First thing he did for us was come on as sub. & score a great goal against Cardiff. He didn't score a huge number of goals but always seemed to make things happen when he came on. Chased lost causes & showed flashes of skill when on the ball. An exciting prospect who you felt would make it.

Anyway, watched your game against Ipswich (online) with interest. First half he looked lethargic & lost - didn't seem to link up at all, often just getting in the way. Second half was much better, & I thought he was unlucky not to score. Unfortunately haven't seen any other games.

I can only say that if he really is fat, unfit & uninterested then he's undergone a major character change - unless that happened when he went on loan to Gillingham, which would explain why Lambert wanted him gone. I got the feeling there may have been a bit of a clash there (pure speculation by me).

If he really has gone down the tubes it's a crying shame. He's whippet quick, stronger than he looks, a bit raw but skillful & with a great spring & heading ability. At least that's how he was.

Good luck. I hope he gets back to his old self.

PS how's Sammy doing? He was one of the few decent players we had at the time.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Sammy is club captain and one of the better players in the team, out of contract in the summer so looks like we will be losing him.

As for Mcdonald as he was the only outfield player signed in the last 12 months or so apart from the young lad we got on loan yesterday, some people had stupid expectations and put too much pressure on him. Since he was the only summer signing his every movement is being analysed by our fans, he hasn't hit the unrealistic expectations set by some fans so therefore comes in for stick.
On top of that I don't think our style of play has been playing to his strengths when he has played.

'His attitude on the pitch is every bit as bad as Eastwood, incredibly lazy and lackadaisical, and he doesn't have his technical ability or touch'

You say you watched him like a hawk, but sound a little like you have an axe to grind. Or maybe that level of reflection meaned you picked up on anything and everything (maybe more so the errors, since they conformed with the opinions you were starting to form? - every fan has favourite players and ones he is more inclined to see the negatives in). He is a striker who likes to play on the centre backs shoulders and make a nuisance of himself. Juke is a runner who will work the channels and holds the ball up exceptionally well (like Best did). They are different players. I think you are within your rights to question the quality we have seen so far, but not necessarily the player (I don't think it is anywhere near too simplistic to categorically state that it is too early to say in a Coventry shirt). I also don't think describing him as 'incredibly lazy' is anywhere near the mark. Julian Gray was incredibly lazy; Eastwood can appear to be lazy on the field of play; no one knows whether McDonald will become incredibly lazy, but it has not yet been evidenced.

Users who are viewing this thread