Cobblers perspective (1 Viewer)

cobblers

I found this article on a net about Coventry from a Cobblers perspective. I agree that this borderline antagonistic thing between the two fans has to stop and we need to start singing from the same hymn sheet. No Cobblers fan asked for Coventry to come here and neither club is doing well out of the ground share. If we go down (seems likely) the ground share will come under more scrutiny. Anyway, take a look, a good read.

http://www.northampton-news-hp.co.u...Coventry-City-at-Sixfields-20140328115431.htm

Covstu

To be fair I totally agree you guys are stuck in the middle of this farce by no choice of your own but due to your owner. Lets face it you have enough to worry about with staying in the league without having this thrown at you. Both fans have been stuck in a political battle between greedy owners that we cannot do anything about.

I suppose from a support element, you guys could push the petition and 'locals' who attend our games as this is not helping both causes either.

Astute

Puts over the Northampton side quite well.

But how can we expect their fans to demonstrate in any way when our own supporters don't demonstrate in any way whilst playing at Northampton?

cobblers

Right now is a sensitive time for us but I can see no reason going into next season that NTFC supporters Trust can't join in with a fix football type protest. In fact I'd like to see what their reaction would be to gauge how "in bed" with the chairman they are.

letsallsingtogether

They will only get slagged off by the minority who do not agree as do our own supporters.

Puts over the Northampton side quite well.

But how can we expect their fans to demonstrate in any way when our own supporters don't demonstrate in any way whilst playing at Northampton?

skybluetony176

No offence cobbler but the threads I've read on the hotel end l am guessing that the considerate poster who says "if we'd known we could have joined in" possibly got shot down in flames by the majority of his fellow fans. I'm happy to be told otherwise but the few posters on the site that show sympathy to us always seem to get mocked. I had to double check it wasn't a Sunderland supporters site ;-)

bigfatronssba

I would like to point out cobblers that any bad feelings towards ntfc from us is aimed at your chairman, not the fans.

Grendel

I would like to point out cobblers that any bad feelings towards ntfc from us is aimed at your chairman, not the fans.

So when we have threads jeering and hoping they get relegated that wouldn't impact the fans?

bigfatronssba

Gary.j

I'm sure many of you are ashamed of cardoza, as many of us would be if the boot was on the other foot, but I wish no ill on NTFC or your supporters.

Spionkop

Interesting the article reads....."Coventry fans can take the lead by setting up a phoenix club, however heart-breaking and letting the SISU owned entity shrivel."

For what it's worth I'd prefer the original CCFC to survive with decent owners. But it is looking increasingly like the above will be the only way out of this mess. Barring a radical turnaround in thinking.
People are kind of pinning their hopes on the JR, gradually getting closer, but it seems that will go to appeal, whichever way it goes. So it seems like a false hope.
The Higgs/Sisu court thing this week will be a pointer. I'm seriously hoping Sisu get battered. But if I were the Higgs Trust I wouldn't bank on ever getting paid.
So you all set for a second season at Sixfields?

Gary.j

Interesting the article reads....."Coventry fans can take the lead by setting up a phoenix club, however heart-breaking and letting the SISU owned entity shrivel."

Amazing how many neutrals/non CCFC supporters make that observation.

Astute

Sometimes it seems the only way out of this mess. Our club is being held to ransom. Fans being threatened with litigation. Fans being accused of colluding with CCC. Our club is being piled high with debt and now the interest is piling up. Three weeks? The whole thing is a joke. And all this is happening to attempt to make money for investors. What will happen next to make them money? And before anyone says that they are not making money we all know that. It is because SISU are so useless at running a football club. We are nothing to them but the shit on their shoe.

I won't give up on my club whilst we have any sort of club to support. But I understand why others are starting to give up.

stupot07

It's much easier thing to say as a neutral when you have absolutely nothing at stake and have no vested interest in the club, just like that Bradford fan who was its biggest supporter on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

cobblers

It's much easier thing to say as a neutral when you have absolutely nothing at stake and have no vested interest in the club, just like that Bradford fan who was its biggest supporter on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Yes that's a fair point but does there not come a point whereby the scenario has dragged on for so long that a phoenix club would be a quicker solution to get you where you wanna be?

Gary.j

Or maybe it's easier to see things from a different perspective when there is no emotional attachment.

stupot07

Yes that's a fair point but does there not come a point whereby the scenario has dragged on for so long that a phoenix club would be a quicker solution to get you where you wanna be?

Yeah, when ccfc ceases to exist or permanently relocates from Coventry.

stupot07

Or maybe it's easier to see things from a different perspective when there is no emotional attachment.

True, but that doesn't make then right.

chiefdave

Right now is a sensitive time for us but I can see no reason going into next season that NTFC supporters Trust can't join in with a fix football type protest. In fact I'd like to see what their reaction would be to gauge how "in bed" with the chairman they are.

For me, and I think the same is probably true of others, the point at which feelings towards NTFC took a turn for the worse was when your trust released a very weak statement.

NTFC Supporters Trust said:
While we welcome additional revenue opportunities for NTFC, we do not support any club being moved out of their community if there is a viable option within their local area.

This was followed by Northampton Council welcoming the move and the general impression we got from looking at forums and social media was that as far as your fans were concerned the overriding feeling was so long as NTFC made a few quid it didn't matter what happened to us. That was a very different response than other clubs we had been rumoured to be groundsharing with whose fans made it very clear they were against us being moved away from Coventry.

That said it doesn't bother me if Northampton stay up or go down any more than it does if it was any other club. Would just be nice to have a bit more resistance to SISU from your supporters.

J

Jack Griffin

I found this article on a net about Coventry from a Cobblers perspective. I agree that this borderline antagonistic thing between the two fans has to stop and we need to start singing from the same hymn sheet. No Cobblers fan asked for Coventry to come here and neither club is doing well out of the ground share. If we go down (seems likely) the ground share will come under more scrutiny. Anyway, take a look, a good read.

http://www.northampton-news-hp.co.u...Coventry-City-at-Sixfields-20140328115431.htm

Slight communication breakdown there as the article references the gov petition site, but fails to mention that fixfootball.co.uk takes you there directly..

Spionkop

Can't think why anyone would think I've given up on my club. Having supported them with a passion since the mid 1950s and having missed 5 home games in all those years. And travelled to more away games than most posters on here have had hot dinners, I don't think I could be any more 'emotionally connected' to the club than I am. I even went to all reserve games at Highfield Road for decades. If that isn't 'emotional' connection I don't know what is.
The idea of a 'phoenix club' call it what you will is a way out of this nightmare. As I've consistently stressed, it is a possible strategy, a plan. A RECLAIMING of our club from those monsters Sisu. IT WOULD BE CCFC. (with a subtle name change for legal reasons)
I can't see any other plan on the board. Something like an AFC would really scupper Sisu.
Of course there are the mischief makers on here who wilfully pervert my words. The cut and paste merchants.
I want the existing CCFC to be free of Sisu, back in Coventry, just like everybody else. Preferably at the Ricoh.
Without all the debt that they are piling on faster than the Glazers.
But can anyone on here see that happening anytime soon?
Do nothing and nothing will happen.

Last edited:
J

Jack Griffin

A large part of the reason I want SISU out is that they come attached to huge debts, debts that will keep the club in the lower divisions for many years to come.

Brighton Sky Blue

Agree there Stu, until the club ceases to exist or is irreversibly relocated I can't support a Phoenix club. Chiefly because if the 'old' club then returned and prospered the Phoenix would soon be forgotten.

ccfc92

If we were like Portsmouth, then fair enough, liquidate the club, no real argument to be had.

But CCFC is being used as a pawn in SISU's game, and it could very easily cease to exist. Without going into the figures too much, we are now relatively stable (if we were at the ricoh) whereas Portsmouth were still playing 30k a week wages in the championship!

I just can't see CCFC returning to Coventry as the original club, I imagine it will be liquidated and an AFC is formed :(

Users who are viewing this thread