Club statement: truth edit (1 Viewer)

withers

The complete club statement which features in today's edition of the Coventry Telegraph: truth edit
We generally try to avoid telling the truth and hadn’t intended to respond to the statement put out by Cllr Lucas, which was not linked to the demonstration by a lone fan outside the council house.

Like many of the statements drafted by ACL’s London-based PR consultants (hey we’re London-based too, so everything’s cool), it contains more truths than we can cope with. However, Les Res has asked us to issue a response.

In particular, he asked us to cut through the spin and focus on specifics.

Most sensible people agree that a football club, any football club, needs to own its stadium in order to be financially viable on a long-term basis, though sensible people do not think this should be done at all costs to the club.

There can be no greedy profitable return on a landlord-tenant relationship with ACL. We are a bit crap at business planning so we didn’t forsee that we could make any return for our shareholders at the rent, service charges and lack of matchday revenues agreed to with ACL. We blame ACL for not pointing this out to us when we signed the agreements in 2007.

We have repeatedly asked the council to discuss the donation free of charge of the Ricoh Arena to the club. The senior council officers who also serve as directors of ACL have told us that they have no authority to give away the stadium.

So it is a very simple question for Cllr Lucas: is she prepared to discuss giving us the Ricoh for free or for a few quid?

If so, we will sit down and talk. If not, we will continue with our game of pretending to be building a new stadium miles from Coventry. Our shareholders are getting nervous and so we can’t wait around much longer and are therefore pushing ahead with our efforts.

Joy Seppala will be writing privately to Cllr Lucas shortly in order to issue inflexible demands.

Cllr Lucas has not so far confirmed that she will discuss giving us the Ricoh and does not appear to have commissioned an independent valuation (by Paul Appleton) to get the ball rolling.

We are of course disappointed with this stance, as it was clear that the Council were prepared to sell the Ricoh (albeit in return for money) to other parties, just not to the club’s owners.

We believe that Cllr Lucas’ predecessor as leader, Cllr John Mutton (just back from an expenses paid trip to the Bahamas), met with her very recently to confirm that he had been prepared to discuss stadium ownership with other parties and urged her to negotiate with us.

We are also disappointed that Cllr Lucas is using the Judicial Review application (our vehicle to destroy ACL and the Council hahaha) as an excuse not to answer questions. The application relates to a very specific area of the law, which is of no relevance to us except if might snare ACL in a legal loophole. It need not prevent the council from answering many of the perfectly bonkers questions which absolutely no fans (except Les Reid) are asking.

During the initial stages of this process, the council, ACL and Walker Morris continued to make media statements and appearances. There is never any legal bar on the truth.

We cannot believe that the council’s lawyers would ever advise Cllr Lucas that speaking the truth could prejudice any legal process.

And we’d still like to know the real reason why Cllr Lucas authorised ACL’s rejection of our stitched up administration which meant that our failure to pay our bills cost the club 10 pts.

covcity4life

no it isn't, stop being so immature.

you seem more passionate about anti sisu than for the actual club playing football.

RFC

Nonsense tread IMHO & won't help to get all parties at least talking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nick

Administrator
When the council made a statement everybody was creaming over it saying "where are you now SISU" and now SISU have made a statement the pitch forks come out!

torchomatic

Spot on. I've read some odd things over the last few days.

When the council made a statement everybody was creaming over it saying "where are you now SISU" and now SISU have made a statement the pitch forks come out!

skybluelee

Nonsense tread IMHO & won't help to get all parties at least talking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You going to Shitfield is nonsense IMHO and won't help get the club back to Coventry, but hey (can't bring myself to add 21 exclamation marks).

Nick

Administrator
It does to me.

The suggestion is that you appear more anti-SISU than pro-CCFC.

Exactly, some people would be happy to get one over on SISU and don't really care about the consequences on "ccfc". The amount of people saying how they want us to go bust and start again to get rid of SISU or are happy to just support another team.

I very much doubt anybody backs SISU (apart from the odd WUM) like some people back the council / ACL. They just support the team.

withers

Exactly, some people would be happy to get one over on SISU and don't really care about the consequences on "ccfc". The amount of people saying how they want us to go bust and start again to get rid of SISU or are happy to just support another team.

I very much doubt anybody backs SISU (apart from the odd WUM) like some people back the council / ACL. They just support the team.

A ridiculous statement - yes, like I've supported Coventry for 35 years but this was just a gateway for my real passion - hatred for a hedge-fund company. I wouldn't give a fuck about SISU except for the fact they've destroyed the club

AJB1983

As humorous as it is it is probably as close to the truth as you will ever get from the cretins running the club.
An excellent thread!!

Nick

Administrator
A ridiculous statement - yes, like I've supported Coventry for 35 years but this was just a gateway for my real passion - hatred for a hedge-fund company. I wouldn't give a fuck about SISU except for the fact they've destroyed the club

Why is it? "Some" people now don't even know when the team are playing but know when the next train to SISU's london office is...

chiefdave

compare the tone and content of the two statements and it should be pretty obvious why people were happy with the statement CCC made and unhappy with this statement today from SISU.

Nick

Administrator
compare the tone and content of the two statements and it should be pretty obvious why people were happy with the statement CCC made and unhappy with this statement today from SISU.

I think some people don't need to read past who the statement is from to decide their reaction.

withers

Why is it? "Some" people now don't even know when the team are playing but know when the next train to SISU's london office is...

I think such thoughts are purely in your imagination. I follow Pressley's boys as closely as ever - I just so happen to believe that the club has to lose SISU's stewardship to move forward - I think most fans agree with me

Nick

Administrator
I think such thoughts are purely in your imagination. I follow Pressley's boys as closely as ever - I just so happen to believe that the club has to lose SISU's stewardship to move forward - I think most fans agree with me

I totally agree, if there was a rich arab waiting and saying "Sell to me SISU" I'd be banging on the office door with you.. Nothing is as simple as that though is it?

I think some people don't need to read past who the statement is from to decide their reaction.

Nick, You have to agree that the tone was confrontational. I read it first on the CCFC web site as I try to avoid the CT. For various reasons and as I have stated before I am anti SISU. But I do believe we may need to cut them some slack. But they have to earn respect, something they seem to completely miss for some reason.

I hope that for the short term the Council do not sell the Freehold to SISU, I don't believe they can be trusted. After much thought, selling part or all of ACL may be the best thing to do (At reasonable price) If after 10 years its all going well, then sell the freehold. JS TF and SISU have to demonstrate good faith. an action they have failed frequently to do.

chiefdave

sure you're right for some people. personally I would love SISU to issue a statement that gave the answers to the questions that are repeatedly posed. At the moment I wouldn't be in favour of SISU being allowed to take ownership of the Ricoh but that doesn't mean I won't look at any evidence SISU can provide to illustrate why I'm wrong and if the evidence supports it I would be happy to change my opinion. not saying everyone would be the same as some appear to be determined to ignore any information that is released if it doesn't fit in with their stance but I'm sure many would.

withers

I totally agree, if there was a rich arab waiting and saying "Sell to me SISU" I'd be banging on the office door with you.. Nothing is as simple as that though is it?

Well that assumes we are a passive force and we should simply hope that events go in our favour.

I think, as thousands of fans, we have the potential to be a more (pro)active influence in all this - call me idealistic - but I think we can strive to determine the outcomes we want - rather than hoping SISU does this, ACL does that, buyer steps in...etc

Buster

Good OP Withers, the funniest satire is often very close to the truth and you know you have touched a nerve when the usual suspects rally against you.

Evo1883

Love or hate sisu,you have to admit the general point they are putting accross is correct, we need the revenue , simples

bigfatronssba

Love or hate sisu,you have to admit the general point they are putting accross is correct, we need the revenue , simples

The freehold won't give any revenues until 2050.

What good is that to the club?

chiefdave

If they own the stadium ?

If they own the stadium (freehold) they get zero revenue for decades. The people who get the revenue are ACL who own the lease (which would still be valid should SISU but the freehold) but that's not what SISU are saying they want to buy. There is no benifit whatsoever of ownership of the freehold. The best option for CCFC would be the purchase of ACL, giving access to all revenues, and once the repayments on the loan are made switch the lease to a rolling lease at a peppercorn rent. That way CCFC get all the benefit but CCC retain security against the stadium being used as security on debt.

Users who are viewing this thread