Club Badge. (1 Viewer)

Grendel

Of course it is. I mean, even the lefties on here don't care. It's a non story for a slow news day, that allows a spot of hollow raging for no real purpose.

It was a left wing journalist that started the debate

I’ve looked at the Vine show and SBT (sorry Benjamin butterworth) whose definitely left of centre said the clubs perhaps should compensate by supporting under privileged black children as a form of reparations. The other panellist - a rather loud Geordie - said black players shouldn’t be made to play for teams that have a slavery badge on the shirt

This is only a discussion as the Guardian published it. It’s bound to get a reaction.

Grendel

So what? It's only a 'debate' because of a minority of morons.

Its only a debate as the Guardian considered it a worthy enough opinion to publish it. It’s the guardian that thinks it’s a worthwhile subject to discuss

Grendel

No, it's only a 'debate' because a minority of morons choose to 'debate' it.

You keep saying this but it’s the left wing press that clearly want the debate is it not?

Grendel

No, it's a minority of morons from associated political backgrounds.

Anyway,you'd be in the woke brigade given your liking for animal charities!

It’s nothing about being “woke” - it’s about challenging a journalist - whose a frequent contributor to the guardian - for an embarrassing opinion - it’s nonsense and deserves challenge

NorthernWisdom

It’s nothing about being “woke” - it’s about challenging a journalist - whose a frequent contributor to the guardian - for an embarrassing opinion - it’s nonsense and deserves challenge
It's ludicrous to consider the earth being flat, but it's also ludicrous to politicise such a thing and give it undue attention when only a minority of nutters care either way.

Grendel

It's ludicrous to consider the earth being flat, but it's also ludicrous to politicise such a thing and give it undue attention when only a minority of nutters care either way.

The guardian thought it a worthy discussion and clearly a relevant one

Grendel

Again, so what! The BBC thought David icke being the son of God was a worthy discussion, but we don't spend our time chatting its relevance and whether Wilson's going to become a fundamentalist Catholic missionary off the back of his goal.

But many debate shows are discussing it. I don’t get the daily mail GB News references as it’s the so called superior Guardian that wants this debated

SkyBlueCharlie9

Wonder if Gammon-arti lot on GB News, Daily Mail and channel 5 happy with clubs with owls, swans, thrushes, robins, swifts, shrimps, hornet's, bees, forests/trees, roses, moons and stars on badges. Its all very lefty and close to the eco warrior/stop the oil. Don't get em started on Forest Green Rovers..... bloody eco-club trying to save the planet. Dam it.. may have just given an idea for Dickie Tinycock's next article/rant.
Far right yet again showing their ultra sensitive outrage at articles simply debating a relevant issue in a genuine mature and intellectual way. Journalist is a Man. City fan and article is written intelligently questioning symobolism of boats on the badges and how in 1800-1850s ships were used to celebrate success of cottonopolis which directly benefitted from the slave trade. If I was a fan of either club I would be able to cope with asking question whether the use of the ships is appropriate and would be grown up enough to have a debate.
What sort of headcase would want to categorically defend a club badge with imagery symobilising slavery without at least looking at implications a bit?

Grendel

Wonder if Gammon-arti lot on GB News, Daily Mail and channel 5 happy with clubs with owls, swans, thrushes, robins, swifts, shrimps, hornet's, bees, forests/trees, roses, moons and stars on badges. Its all very lefty and close to the eco warrior/stop the oil. Don't get em started on Forest Green Rovers..... bloody eco-club trying to save the planet. Dam it.. may have just given an idea for Dickie Tinycock's next article/rant.
Far right yet again showing their ultra sensitive outrage at articles simply debating a relevant issue in a genuine mature and intellectual way. Journalist is a Man. City fan and article is written intelligently questioning symobolism of boats on the badges and how in 1800-1850s ships were used to celebrate success of cottonopolis which directly benefitted from the slave trade. If I was a fan of either club I would question the use of the ships and would be grown up enough to have a debate.
What sort of headcase would want to categorically defend a club badge with imagery that symobilised that such things without at least looking at implications a bit?

Yes Charles your commentary shows how grown up you truly are

Nuskyblue

Far right yet again showing their ultra sensitive outrage at articles simply debating a relevant issue in a genuine mature and intellectual way. Journalist is a Man. City fan and article is written intelligently questioning symobolism of boats on the badges and how in 1800-1850s ships were used to celebrate success of cottonopolis which directly benefitted from the slave trade. If I was a fan of either club I would be able to cope with asking question whether the use of the ships is appropriate and would be grown up enough to have a debate.
What sort of headcase would want to categorically defend a club badge with imagery symobilising slavery without at least looking at implications a bit?
Jesus wept. Anyone worrying about the connotations of a boat or boats on a badge has too much time on their hands

NorthernWisdom

Far right yet again showing their ultra sensitive outrage at articles simply debating a relevant issue in a genuine mature and intellectual way. Journalist is a Man. City fan and article is written intelligently questioning symobolism of boats on the badges and how in 1800-1850s ships were used to celebrate success of cottonopolis which directly benefitted from the slave trade. If I was a fan of either club I would question the use of the ships and would be grown up enough to have a debate.
What sort of headcase would want to categorically defend a club badge with imagery that symobilised that such things without at least looking at implications a bit?
What?

ccfcchris

Says the poster who is furiously posting all through the thread on the subject.

baldy

Ermmmm they’re just boats….end of

Grendel

I think Charles has been put away for the evening for his own safety

Twitch Rebel GIF by HewFoE

tommydazzle

I first became aware of it on yesterday’s BBC lunchtime Politics Live programme where it was debated by the panel and a professor (the bar must be pretty low for professorships these days) - the prof suggested the ships could be seen as a celebration of slavery. I noticed Essex county has three cutlasses on its badge so maybe this is a celebration of violence? The panel were unanimous in thinking the whole thing a non-issue with more important things to discuss.

clint van damme

The Woke Brigade?
There can be no other word in recent times that has been so misused that it is now pretty much unusable in its original meaning.

It's a great phrase, absolutely nailed on that anyone using it is a grade A arsepiece and someone to be avoided when they try and corner you to spout their bollocks. Saves a lot of time.

theferret

It's a great phrase, absolutely nailed on that anyone using it is a grade A arsepiece and someone to be avoided when they try and corner you to spout their bollocks. Saves a lot of time.

Fair. Same applies to those mouth-breathers that scream nazi at anyone who doesn't buy into their weird gender or climate cults.

A sea of c-units on both sides of a tiresome culture war.

Users who are viewing this thread