Club aims to raise £35m from bond (2 Viewers)

Grendel

No, the former. And to be honest it no more biased that any of Simon's articles of Wasps, which are...well...incredibly biased.

Yes if this was sisu imagine the CET story - "cash strapped Mayfair hedge fund asking its own fans to pay for signings" - under a headline Would you Gamble your money?" Oh and a picture of Tim with a begging bowl.

stupot07

And some fans think that wasps would want to buy and fund our football club......

They haven't got a pot to.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Ashdown

And some fans think that wasps would want to buy and fund our football club......

They haven't got a pot to.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Tis true and the way all hedge funds operate...........with someone else's money !

Nick

Administrator
Worth £6m with just CCFC now worth £48m with WASPS and a professional management team. CCFC are not big time anymore get over it.

giphy.gif

torchomatic

Remember all the "don't sell to SISU as they will borrow against it" scare stories? I wonder if those same posters will feel a little uncomfortable this morning?

torchomatic

Is that one of the comments, Nick?

shy_tall_knight

Its all about perception the WASPS PR machine has been excellent. SISU have given us Joy who only recently agreed to give interviews, Igne, Ken Diddleydoo, Brody a whole catalogue of jokers. There may be financial chaos behinds the scene but doesn't seem to effect the on field product. 7 and a bit years of SISU and we are a shambles.

Nick

Administrator
Its all about perception the WASPS PR machine has been excellent. SISU have given us Joy who only recently agreed to give interviews, Igne, Ken Diddleydoo, Brody a whole catalogue of jokers. There may be financial chaos behinds the scene but doesn't seem to effect the on field product. 7 and a bit years of SISU and we are a shambles.

But at the end of the day if they are both dodgy as fuck behind the scenes does it make it ok if they are bullshitting to the press every 5 minutes?

duffer

Thats not standard process at all, the lease is an asset of acl (their primary asset) and would be sold if acl go bust. We own multiple flats long leasehold, if we went bankrupt they would be sold to repay the mortgages, they certainly wouldn't return to the freeholder, the freehold for the property our flats are in is worth about 10 grand, the flats are worth a couple of mill (not suggesting I have millions in flats if thats how it reads, thats the total value of the flats in the building)

I haven't actually said it's a poor deal, I'm not equipped to properly evaluate something like this, nore have I bothered to read the prospectus to even be fully informed.

These are commercial leases, not residential ones. Different rules apply - you can't sell a commercial lease to another third party in the way that you sell a flat. Typically, if the company holding the lease becomes insolvent, the lease reverts to the freeholder.

In other words, if you're a company in difficulties, then you can't sell the lease to release capital (or to escape from the liability) in the same way as if you are a householder. This is key Noggin - as such the lease doesn't hold much value as security.

torchomatic

I'm afraid to him and many others it does. It's almost as if the PR excuses them from any scrutiny.

But at the end of the day if they are both dodgy as fuck behind the scenes does it make it ok if they are bullshitting to the press every 5 minutes?

Nick

Administrator
I'm afraid to him and many others it does. It's almost as if the PR excuses them from any scrutiny.

Its like two blokes, one promises he is going to marry her, have kids, treat her like a princess, spoil her, flowers every day and another that says "im just going to get my end away then go". She falls for the first one but he gets his end away and goes anyway.

duffer

you are trying to have an argument where none is needed, I had already said how lending to wasps is a massively higher risk than lending to the government, I was trying to explain his misconception that wasps were going to need a profit of 5mill a year in order to pay back these bonds which certainly won't be the plan, even if they did make that profit it's extremely unlikely they would just run up a bank account up to 35mill to pay people back. They will invest the money, build the business and then borrow again in 7 years at a lower rate if things go well and higher if they don't or they will go bust.

In fairness, I can see that you've accepted that you don't think it's a great investment. However Wasps are committed to paying 6.5% interest a year on the bonds - £2.3m every year if the whole offering is taken, just to service the debt. Given they haven't turned a profit yet and have relied entirely on one person to keep going, I think that's a lot of extra money to find each season.

Again, to me, this highlights how much of a risk Wasps are as a company - and at the moment the council still hold £14m of debt against them.

shy_tall_knight

PR doesn't excuse scrutiny but WASPS have done it well compared to us, its about winning hearts and minds not about being morally right or wrong. WASPS are seen as being well run with a good on pitch product matched by a clear financial policy. Cov are seen as a shambles. Look no further than the in stadium merchandising - a table with virtually no products for sale.

chiefdave

However Wasps are committed to paying 6.5% interest a year on the bonds - £2.3m every year if the whole offering is taken, just to service the debt. Given they haven't turned a profit yet and have relied entirely on one person to keep going, I think that's a lot of extra money to find each season.

Part of this loan is being used to pay the interest!

chiefdave

PR doesn't excuse scrutiny but WASPS have done it well compared to us, its about winning hearts and minds not about being morally right or wrong. WASPS are seen as being well run with a good on pitch product matched by a clear financial policy. Cov are seen as a shambles. Look no further than the in stadium merchandising - a table with virtually no products for sale.

That's fair enough for the man on the street but journalists should be digging deeper and not just printing what they are told to print by Wasps. Lets give them the benefit of the doubt, this news raises a lot of questions to be asked of CCC, Higgs and Wasps, lets see if over the coming days those questions do get asked.

NorthernWisdom

PR doesn't excuse scrutiny but WASPS have done it well compared to us, its about winning hearts and minds not about being morally right or wrong.

But the latter is what should be scrutinised.

Sure, we don't do PR well... but when the clock was ticking, we were debt free, and being run with good buisiness sense, our owners were still the same dubious chancers they are now.

In a way I'd rather have the shambles of our club, as at least it's obvious it's a shambles! At least then I hand my cash over secure that I'm a mentalist prepared to lose it, I'm not being taken in by the smoke and mirrors...

Nick

Administrator
In fairness to Simon, I think he is on his honeymoon rather than hiding before anybody says anything!

duffer

And of course why the rate is high.

I'll stick with my Cov Building Society ISA ;)

6.5% with no security against a company who have very nearly gone to the wall once, and are currently reliant on the whim of an individual owner to survive, isn't high enough for me.

I note the original page is down at the moment - http://www.wasps.co.uk/the-club/bonds - insert own conspiracy theory here, but if I was from the council I wouldn't have been overly happy with the initial claim on that page that the bond was secured against the Ricoh Arena. That's not really true.

Edit: They've moved the page now - http://www.wasps.co.uk/bonds/secured-bonds - not sure if the wording has changed, it still implies the Ricoh Arena is being used as security to me though. A bit naughty, imho, but the detail is in the small print elsewhere no doubt.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator

I thought it was all about morals and strong spines etc? How has it changed?

NorthernWisdom

6.5% with no security against a company who have very nearly gone to the wall once, and are currently reliant on the whim of an individual owner to survive, isn't high enough for me.

Nor me. But then it's the balance that make it stupidly high, and people *really* start asking questions.

What happens if they don't raise the cash, anyway?

duffer

Nor me. But then it's the balance that make it stupidly high, and people *really* start asking questions.

What happens if they don't raise the cash, anyway?

They plod on, I guess. Just with some serious questions about how good their business model really is. It raises the sort of questions the council should've asked before getting into bed with them, perhaps.

skybluejelly

What is worrying is people who suddenly have access to there pension pots see headline rates of 6.5% which is more than double high street rates .. And put there money in not realising they could loose it all .. They are not covered like high street banks .. Does anyone know of any upcoming stadium concerts .. As they make a big thing about the venue being used

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
What is worrying is people who suddenly have access to there pension pots see headline rates of 6.5% which is more than double high street rates .. And put there money in not realising they could loose it all .. They are not covered like high street banks .. Does anyone know of any upcoming stadium concerts .. As they make a big thing about the venue being used

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Especially when you have the press making out it may be a good deal etc etc.

shy_tall_knight

I thought it was all about morals and strong spines etc? How has it changed?

I am talking about the public perception, their PR aligned with lack of detailed / critical investigation by the press - unfortunately Les Reid & the Coventry Observer are an irrelevance to most, our own shambles, neither side of the political divide in CCC challenging the ACL sale, SISU's public perception - allows this to be a good news progressive story and unbfortunately disgruntled Coventry fans are now also becoming an irrelevance.

Whats also clear to to me but not to many others in Cov that I talk to WASPS aren't buying CCFC, so don't justify your support for the Ricoh sale based on the fact that we will all be one club soon aint going to happen pot & pi$$ come to mind.

Users who are viewing this thread