Cllr Jim O'Boyle about the council / land for stadium (1 Viewer)

MalcSB

both parties should be working together, not creating barriers.
Like the barriers to Ricoh ownership put in the way by the council selling to wasps, despite the then Councillor Thompson telling the CT, when we returned from Northampton, that there was still a route to ownership of the stadium for CCFC. What happened weeks later- wasps. That was some barrier on that route!

The man comes across as an arrogant prick. Two bob councillor, who does he think he is? Vote him out next opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ccfcway

Like the barriers to Ricoh ownership put in the way by the council selling to wasps, despite the then Councillor Thompson telling the CT, when we returned from Northampton, that there was still a route to ownership of the stadium for CCFC. What happened weeks later- wasps. That was some barrier on that route!

Exactly. CCC are still in Coventry, CCFC are not. Arguing with the council won’t help with that. They should be lobbying them to help find a site, asking what more info they need for woodlands site etc. Blaming the council whilst the city continues to vote these people in will get the club nowhere. The council have already made it clear they aren’t that bothered and have not suffered any loss, the club has

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Exactly. CCC are still in Coventry, CCFC are not. Arguing with the council won’t help with that. They should be lobbying them to help find a site, asking what more info they need for woodlands site etc. Blaming the council whilst the city continues to vote these people in will get the club nowhere. The council have already made it clear they aren’t that bothered and have not suffered any loss, the club has
CCFC will not be returning to Coventry if the rumours that are circulating are true we will be groundsharing with Birmingham City but not in Small Heath

covboy1987

You wouldent think that the reason these people are councillors is that we the fans/people vote them in - cannot we find some councillors that will back the fans 100%

Grendel

The club would not last 2 years in that scenario - the only way the club can survive long term is to play back in its home city -period - it would not be viable for the club owners and the next generation of fans would disappear

I don’t see it anyway but Jimmy Hill wanted to do it when he was chairman

BornSlippySkyBlue

Was a 1 when I was told but after heard the blues selling SA from someone else not connected to first source gone up to maybe a 3. Fact is that it would in theory still be in Coventry
Eh? Whereabouts are we talking? NEC isn’t Coventry, the boundary is about where Meriden is on the a45 (which I’m sure you know, hence my confusion).

Grendel

I heard a while ago that brum owners wanted rid of sa but didn't think much of it.

There was years ago talk of building on the wheels site a multi purpose sports venue which came to nothing

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Although I'm sceptical of this NEC idea, even for Birmingham let alone us, I suppose you could be around the M42/A45/A452. Unlikely but they could add in a station stop between Birm Int and Hampton in Arden. And of course the airport for all our jetsetting fans - maybe we'll get Birmingham Coventry Airport like Leeds Bradford?!

Could end up with Solihull there too how they're going lately.

covbromsgrove

Living in Brum they have been talking about building a stadium near the NEC and Blues fans have been saying for years that they near a ground share because it would be too costly to run by themselves. When we knew we wouldn't be playing at the Ricoh I'm sure the Blues board took notice. This could actually be true and work.

covbromsgrove

IF a stadium was built next to the NEC it would possibly be able to have its own parking so they would charge less. Also, the train service is ideal.

Grendel

currently NEC charges £12 for parking for an event - just highway robbery

It wouldn’t be actually at the NEC but where the national stadium was considered

Mcbean

It wouldn’t be actually at the NEC but where the national stadium was considered
Hopefully not a green stadium then as the Ricoh seems severely limited for people to get there - only 3000 or so they say parking places at £10 a shot for football but less for other events

chiefdave

Who owns it ?
The NEC? Was owned by Birmingham council but they had to sell it to cover the cost of paying female staff the same as their male equivalents.

Sold it to Lloyds Bank for £300m in 2015. Lloyds have just sold it for £800m to an investment firm called Blackstone.

There's been some talk of a judicial review to see if price the council sold it at was too low, where have we heard that before? Doesn't seem much more than opposition councillors sounding off though.

chiefdave

Surprised its taken this long for this to pop up on the radar. I guess Brum were hopeful they'd get a new ground out of the Commonwealth Games.

In many ways the NEC is ideal. You won't get a ground with better transport links. Over 16,500 parking spaces, even if its not strictly under the same ownership they'd open those up as its easy money. You've got Resorts World, a similar setup to the place next to Wembley, for pre and post match and they could even open up the Pavillon at the Arena as a fans zone.

Of course as much as there is that is good its not in Cov and also not in Brum and that overrides all the positives. Still other clubs do it and its not like we're spoilt for choice.
according to google maps, it only takes 5 minutes longer to nec from city centre than to the Ricoh.
Less than 5 miles from the city boundary and less than 9 miles from the council house (would they still use that or would it be Friargate now - not that it makes much difference) which was the EFL's requirement, not that they would enforce that if it came to it.
How have Brighton survived?
Last time we played at Brighton the official parking was in a random street miles away from the ground. You then had to get a bus!

Didn't seem to stop their fans turning up.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

No in fact the opposite would be more effective. Have thousands of city fans descending on the council offices to remind them we are the city’s greatest sporting asset that they should be supporting - and then an hours worth of renditions of a certain none too complimentary song about the council, SISU & wasps. Oh and as a bonus as it’s at the council offices then you might even get the trust to turn up to do some hand shakes with their pal George.

You can protest as much as you like, to the council it's water off a ducks back.

Because if they were BOTHERED they WOULDN'T have sold the Ricoh to the Rugby club.

giphy.gif

ccfcway

Went to see lipzig v herta in Berlin last year. Very much felt a similar distance on the train from the central station to the ground than cov station to nec

Users who are viewing this thread