Clive Eakin [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] (3 Viewers)

Esoterica

I totally agree. I think Clive is great fun and actually does a really good job, when you watch the match as I have been doing this season you see how hard it is to describe the action for a radio audience. Watching the matches and listening is a very different experience. He makes a lot of mistakes which are often hilarious. The McCallum one referenced here was bewildering but marvellous. Oggy has a very good tactical understanding of the game and an incredible knowledge of every opposition, it doesn’t seem like he just does his homework on Wiki, he seems to have an in-depth knowledge. Great stuff I reckon.
What I think is evident, is that he's very used to being a radio commentator not a tv commentator. He describes twice as much as a regular TV commentator would and there's very little 'dead air' (I mean silence, not what comes out of his arse). I think that is part of the reason he makes mistakes on players names as well as years of being able to get away with the odd mistake when it's just CWR radio coverage.

Sky Blue Pete

What I think is evident, is that he's very used to being a radio commentator not a tv commentator. He describes twice as much as a regular TV commentator would and there's very little 'dead air' (I mean silence, not what comes out of his arse). I think that is part of the reason he makes mistakes on players names as well as years of being able to get away with the odd mistake when it's just CWR radio coverage.
The odd mistake?
Made me smile. I do like his commentary and Oggys comments

jordan210

What hasn't helped poor Clive is the sync with ifollow. As you can now see him constantly call players the wrong names. Hamer and COH for example is one he constantly gets wrong.

Im not sure how every game he calls the opponents the wrong team name mind you.

rhino1002

what i have noticed watching i follow and listening to the commentary is how he makes a situation seem far more dangerous than it is inreality
if you were just listening then you'd think at times we were on the edge of a precipice when the reality is far from that

Bumberclart

Have a listen to some other clubs iFollow commentators and you'll appreciate how good Clive is. The Norwich guy the other week was appalling, he barely knew any of the Norwich players, never mind Cov.
I suspect Clive will be one of those people who we only appreciate when he's gone.

AOM

Yeah I think Clive and Oggy make a really good duo, even with the odd mistake of players names or who we're playing that week.

Felt sorry for Oggy when he was first left to fend for himself against some of the mental callers as Clive always knows when to cut them off.
Do like that he still knows the set up of the club and actually has an insight into some of the players still in the squad

DannyThomas_1981

Lets be honest he’s a bloody awful commentator.

On the radio you think City are about to score the way he always gets more excited when the opposition are on the attack!!! This is compounded when you’re watching his commentary and you realise this over excitement for opposition attacks are unfounded. Then you realise he is blind and/or has dementia when he can’t tell who is kicking the ball or who is playing. Flipping shambles.

He should do the right thing and let someone else do it. Let’s get Rob Gurney back.

I actually really like Clive but you are right - his excitement/mostly unfounded panic when the oppo attacks is off the scale - if I didn't have the tv pictures I'd be reaching for the valium after 90 minutes of Clive needlessly going mental every time the oppo crosses the half way line.

lifeskyblue

I like him. His mistaken identities (both team and individual) are strangely comforting and amusing. I think it shows just how hard the job is to keep going accurately when the game is in play...and it also demonstrates just how good the top commentators are. I know I always get confused and mix up certain players (I used to get Kelly and Doyle mixed up all the time). But yes the confusion about which way mccallum was kicking after half time v Luton had me shouting at the screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

It wouldn't be the same without Clive and Oggy.

As much as I love to take the piss when they get a team name or player slightly wrong, they actually do a really good job and they are both clued up. Clive always loves to lambast opposition managers as well. That's entertaining.

Need to watch that speeding in the company van though Clive! Yes, I've seen you on the motorway after a game. Graham Torrington on in the background and tailgating some poor old woman in a Fiat Panda.

curly_tom

Have any of you noticed his obsession with corner-count for both teams, the minutes for injury time and in the last match he couldn't stop talking about the yellow card count for the season and number of games before suspension?

Nick

Administrator
Have any of you noticed his obsession with corner-count for both teams, the minutes for injury time and in the last match he couldn't stop talking about the yellow card count for the season and number of games before suspension?
Not as bad as trying to figure out where fans would sit

Esoterica

With Clive's old English sheepdog hair, I always imagine Oggy riding him to games like Sir Didymus and Ambrosius in the movie Labyrinth.

1607607506958.png

Johhny Blue

Not as bad as trying to figure out where fans would sit
He once said that if fans were here we would be kicking left to right or right to left if you were sitting on the other side.

If you watch a replay if the McCallum call a Luton defender says something to Sam and smiles. I’m sure he was talking about Clive.

It would have been the call to end all calls if the cross had come in and Walker smashed it into the net.

Hertsccfc

He seems a pleasant guy but you would think they could find someone less error prone and better at recognising our players and remembering who we are playing against. I am sure there was one time when he he said a long ball from Ostigard was headed back by Ostigard and he was about to say that it was picked up by Ostigard, but stopped himself and said a Coventry player instead.

There is also the issue that he seems even more panicky than me when they get anywhere near our goal. But at least he is not irritating like Robbie Savage or Steve McManaman.

Oggy is great though.

Frostie

I just feel for those that only listen to the radio & form opinions & judgements based on it.

It's no wonder most people think Hyam is our best centre back when every time one of our defenders or midfielders do something decent Clive assumes it's Hyam. There was a few occasions where Kelly, McFadz & Østigård made tackles/clearances on Tuesday & Clive accredited all of them to Hyam.
Conversely, Hyam made a howler earlier in the season & Clive said it was Sheaf... You can imagine how that went down with the CWR frothers.

Greggs

We should have a Clive bingo to add to the match thread one:

'Aaaaaaaand it's scrambled away.'
'Stops and checks, now.'
'Let's get your reaction to the action.'

Incorporate a drinking game into it and you'll need an ambulance by half time.
as it stands.....

AOM

We should have a Clive bingo to add to the match thread one:

'Aaaaaaaand it's scrambled away.'
'Stops and checks, now.'
'Let's get your reaction to the action.'

Incorporate a drinking game into it and you'll need an ambulance by half time.

Whenever we concede: "Ohhh, and it's gone in...."

Also "and we have Nick from Birmingham on the line"

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Whenever we concede: "Ohhh, and it's gone in...."

Also "and we have Nick from Birmingham on the line"

When I hear that second one, I almost want to call up and put him in his place. I'm pretty sure that you book a slot now before the game, so it is the same idiots each week.

Feel sorry for them having to deal with that, but why is that prick constantly being given air time when he doesn't watch the games. I might as well phone up Alloa Athletic and have a granny chat.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

After reading this thread I both want a Clive bingo, and also want someone to try and do their own live commentary so we can see how good it is. Anyone up for SBT alternative commentary?

If we did it, it would be an absolute disaster.

Think of the schizophrenic match thread and that game of bingo that goes on there.

90 minutes of pure meltdown. It might be good entertainment though!

Brighton Sky Blue

After reading this thread I both want a Clive bingo, and also want someone to try and do their own live commentary so we can see how good it is. Anyone up for SBT alternative commentary?

Hahaha I'd be willing to do it if someone provided the tech know-how

shmmeee

Hahaha I'd be willing to do it if someone provided the tech know-how

🤔 What would you have to do? Simplest would be a YouTube/Twitch whatever stream of the commentary and people pause the iFollow to catch up, mute the TV and play the stream audio. 🧐

As long as you don’t stream the match I can’t see how you can be done for copyright.

Users who are viewing this thread