Clingan (1 Viewer)

brinner

tell a lie, i may miss Scunthorpe at home as hopefully going to Las Vegas to watch Manny Paquiao if he fights.

Last edited:

Astute

Most people on this thread are rating 3 midfielders that they have never seen play (other than pre-season friendlies) as better than Clingan... Bit odd!! Clingans attitude last season was shocking but you can't question his ability.

Are you new to football?

Ability means nothing if the attitude is wrong. I would prefer a player of lower ability that always gives 100% whilst in training and whilst playing over a player that has ability but the wrong attitude. i prefer a player of lower ability that does his best for our club over a player of higher ability that just does enough.

Are you old enough to remember us winning the cup in 87? We didn't have any brilliant players. We had decent players. We were underdogs in nearly every game. What we did have though was a squad that gave their all every game. Effort and attitude means everything. I want players that will run back and defend when needed. Players that will keep up the spirit when things are going wrong. Players that want to be at our club and take us places. Not players that have ability but don't use it to their full potential.

How good is your memory? Can you remember the last few seasons? We had a player with a lot of ability. He couldn't even be bothered to train properly although he knew we desperately needed him. Does the name Eastwood ring a bell? We never saw a fraction of his ability. Not saying Clingan was anywhere near as bad as him, but it shows the difference between ability and application. I want players that want to be with us. Players that want what is best for us. Players we can idolise.

Am I asking for too much? :thinking about:

skybluejack10

it would be hypocrytical of him if he did return! Can't believe he still doesnt have a club! i though at least 1 team would be chasing after him!

Brighton Sky Blue

This 'decent passing game' is a load of nonsense. Knocking it between the back 4 and Clingan before hoofing up to Platt will never constitute that, and it's all we ever did.

wingy

This 'decent passing game' is a load of nonsense. Knocking it between the back 4 and Clingan before hoofing up to Platt will never constitute that, and it's all we ever did.

Not so sure on that BSB ,certain games the system worked ,where we played with energy and tempo.might be selective in my memory but I recall around the first international break the two home results, again around Christmas ,The Blackpool ,Reading home games,,Leeds /Cardiff away,We only really went that way post Juke Sale .I will get accused of Sammy Bashing but he was missing for some of these games ,but the real question is where was that intensity and Tempo for all those other games ,Leeds/Cardiff particularly Gungho?

Astute

it would be hypocrytical of him if he did return! Can't believe he still doesnt have a club! i though at least 1 team would be chasing after him!

There will be a fair amount of players without a club this season. Clubs are costcutting. For all we know he could be thinking clubs need him more than they do and pricing himself out of finding a club.

dojer

I accept that with my comments earlier were slightly strong but the crowd does have play an integral part of a football match was my point. Maybe Clingan didn't care what happened to the club, maybe he's a mercenary and couldn't wait to leave Coventry. In my opinion, and you're free to your own remember, a decent passing game does involve passing it around the back instead of a constant blood and thunder kick and chase that is easily dealt with, hence Boothroyd's second half of season. All I'm saying is it doesn't help if you shout to the team to get rid, tell them to shoot from 30 yards (ironically or not) if they are trying to play out from the back, the ball isn't always on. We can criticise the team's movement all we want, but if the fans try to rush the team then you get rushed football. Patience is going to be key for the team this season, we can't get frustrated and start booing when we're 1-0 down at home to Bury at half-time because it sends the team down a negative spiral, we've seen it before.

Clingan didn't perform last season because the team from the players to the owners didn't perform. It's easy to see a team struggling to score and blame the strikers, when the team is at fault. Clingan got little help and tonnes of pressure last season, he's not in a good position in terms of finding a club but he can be top quality championship player under the right circumstances.

All i'm saying is that is doesn't help when you endlessly criticise players and put pressure on your own team. However, if you are just reserving that for the internet then that's far far better than letting it out in the stadium.

fernandopartridge

I accept that with my comments earlier were slightly strong but the crowd does have play an integral part of a football match was my point. Maybe Clingan didn't care what happened to the club, maybe he's a mercenary and couldn't wait to leave Coventry. In my opinion, and you're free to your own remember, a decent passing game does involve passing it around the back instead of a constant blood and thunder kick and chase that is easily dealt with, hence Boothroyd's second half of season. All I'm saying is it doesn't help if you shout to the team to get rid, tell them to shoot from 30 yards (ironically or not) if they are trying to play out from the back, the ball isn't always on. We can criticise the team's movement all we want, but if the fans try to rush the team then you get rushed football. Patience is going to be key for the team this season, we can't get frustrated and start booing when we're 1-0 down at home to Bury at half-time because it sends the team down a negative spiral, we've seen it before.

Clingan didn't perform last season because the team from the players to the owners didn't perform. It's easy to see a team struggling to score and blame the strikers, when the team is at fault. Clingan got little help and tonnes of pressure last season, he's not in a good position in terms of finding a club but he can be top quality championship player under the right circumstances.

All i'm saying is that is doesn't help when you endlessly criticise players and put pressure on your own team. However, if you are just reserving that for the internet then that's far far better than letting it out in the stadium.

You can write as many words as you like but Clingan will still be a mediocre football who was found wanting when he was most needed. The fact he's now without a club speaks volumes.

cloughie

I'd have him back right now. On his day the best passer of a ball we've had for many years. Could tear this league apart!

The man thinks he is better than he is

wouldn't want him where was HIS passion No heart

as they say you couldn't give him away

That is prooving to be true

Brighton Sky Blue

Not so sure on that BSB ,certain games the system worked ,where we played with energy and tempo.might be selective in my memory but I recall around the first international break the two home results, again around Christmas ,The Blackpool ,Reading home games,,Leeds /Cardiff away,We only really went that way post Juke Sale .I will get accused of Sammy Bashing but he was missing for some of these games ,but the real question is where was that intensity and Tempo for all those other games ,Leeds/Cardiff particularly Gungho?

Except high energy and tempo resulted in more direct and attacking football which was a shift from what I alluded to. When we abandoned the Keogh-Clingan pit pat we presented much more of a threat.

Users who are viewing this thread