Clingan (1 Viewer)

ccfcway

despite being captain last time out, he has been left out of the NI squad for their game v finland next week

:whistle::whistle::whistle:

torchomatic

[video=youtube;ZEbZqnC2oN4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEbZqnC2oN4[/video]

dojer

He's been overly criticised by fans, like McSheffrey has been. This is part of the reason why we got relegated, if a player isn't running around like a headless chicken then he gets booed. There's absolutely no patience when we try and play out of defence, 3 passes and people get annoyed that the ball isn't going anywhere. Players are told to shoot from from 30 yards out. Thorn's passing game often struggled to get going because the crowd got too impatient so we ended up rushing around in possession rather than trying to keep the ball.

I'm not saying that Clingan is blameless in our relegation but the fans were far too quick to get on his back, and I think it's quite idiotic a lot of the criticism he gets. He's almost certain not to find a Championship club now which means he's not going to get the pay raise that he wanted. If he wanted to come back then he would still be our best midfielder, but I doubt he'd want to because of a few morons in the crowd.

Sutty

He's been overly criticised by fans, like McSheffrey has been. This is part of the reason why we got relegated, if a player isn't running around like a headless chicken then he gets booed. There's absolutely no patience when we try and play out of defence, 3 passes and people get annoyed that the ball isn't going anywhere. Players are told to shoot from from 30 yards out. Thorn's passing game often struggled to get going because the crowd got too impatient so we ended up rushing around in possession rather than trying to keep the ball.

I'm not saying that Clingan is blameless in our relegation but the fans were far too quick to get on his back, and I think it's quite idiotic a lot of the criticism he gets. He's almost certain not to find a Championship club now which means he's not going to get the pay raise that he wanted. If he wanted to come back then he would still be our best midfielder, but I doubt he'd want to because of a few morons in the crowd.

Think that's a bit harsh. The fans worshipped him in his first season.

Mucca Mad Boys

Clingan in his first season would be hands down our best midfield but unfortunatley, he wasn't himself for whatever reasons (Boothroyd largely) and last season looked disinterested (imo).

But with a midfield with Barton, Fleck, Thomas and potentially Jennings, I personally wouldn't have him in our midfield.

His decline is shown in the lack of interest from clubs, let alone a club who are better than us + can pay him what he wants, shame on you Sammy!

ccfcway

the reason we were crap was beacuse of the crowd

any excuse for only winning one away game then ?

Martin180

Clingan , like Cranie played most of last season like they wanted away .He got his wish , now some would have him back? :confused:

brinner

after the stories i heard about him last season he can fuck right off.

wouldnt touch him with a barge pole........................well maybe to twat him round his ugly face with it.

WillieStanley

The fans response is reasonable. This time last year we were petrified that he'd go. Absolutely elated that he was picked as captain. He let a lot of people down last season through his lack of leadership and general lethargy. That's why fans got on his back, not because we were frustrated with the teams build up play.

Possibly the worst captain we've had in my lifetime when I for one expected him to be amongst the best.

Martin180

The fans response is reasonable. This time last year we were petrified that he'd go. Absolutely elated that he was picked as captain. He let a lot of people down last season through his lack of leadership and general lethargy. That's why fans got on his back, not because we were frustrated with the teams build up play.

Possibly the worst captain we've had in my lifetime when I for one expected him to be amongst the best.
Like i have said on another thread i think we have signed 3 better players to replace him - Jennings who i think will be player of the season ,Fleck who could be very creative and Barton who has the energy and mobility to stretch defences

SkyBlue_Bear83

I'm surprised he isn't training with a club, would any one have him back?
No I wouldn't, we are short on midfield and he would be good in this league but he thought he was too good for us and as many have though the grass was greener on the other side.

The only way I would take him back is on less than half of his original wage and as a squad player. Not the untouchable squad status he seemingly had last year

WillieStanley

Like i have said on another thread i think we have signed 3 better players to replace him - Jennings who i think will be player of the season ,Fleck who could be very creative and Barton who has the energy and mobility to stretch defences

I agree, but this time last year I really wouldn't have.

Martin180

I agree, but this time last year I really wouldn't have.
Nor would i but time changes and so does players attitudes ,Clingan last year and Cranie didnt want to be here .Is it really that surprising he hasnt found new employment yet ? I dont think he did himself a lot of favours last season ,other managers and players would have noticed his attitude too

Eightyseven

Most people on this thread are rating 3 midfielders that they have never seen play (other than pre-season friendlies) as better than Clingan... Bit odd!! Clingans attitude last season was shocking but you can't question his ability.

Martin180

Most people on this thread are rating 3 midfielders that they have never seen play (other than pre-season friendlies) as better than Clingan... Bit odd!! Clingans attitude last season was shocking but you can't question his ability.
Jennings was the cornerstone of Motherwells push into the Champions league last season ,Clingan was the cornerstone of our apathy and our descent into L1 yet some wont admonish him or others attitude last season

Eightyseven

Jennings was the cornerstone of Motherwells push into the Champions league last season ,Clingan was the cornerstone of our apathy and our descent into L1 yet some wont admonish him or others attitude last season
<br />
<br />

Steady on!! Motherwell... Champions League?! They qualified through a place that has now been taken away from the SPL based on how sh*te the league is and went out after 180 minutes of football. I'll reserve judgement on Jennings until I see him play but let's not expect to much hey?! It is te SPL after all (equivelent to about L1). And as I mentioned in my previous post, just in case you missed it, Clingans attitude last season was shocking, knowing we are going to be relegated and being in the last year of your contract is not ideal... But he's stlill a decent player!

brinner

we havent even signed Jennings yet!!

lets hope we do before sisu have to fork out the rent or it may not happen.

Martin180

<br />
<br />

Steady on!! Motherwell... Champions League?! They qualified through a place that has now been taken away from the SPL based on how sh*te the league is and went out after 180 minutes of football. I'll reserve judgement on Jennings until I see him play but let's not expect to much hey?! It is te SPL after all (equivelent to about L1). And as I mentioned in my previous post, just in case you missed it, Clingans attitude last season was shocking, knowing we are going to be relegated and being in the last year of your contract is not ideal... But he's stlill a decent player!
It wasnt a post to compare ability ,i was trying to point out the two players attitudes .The Scottish Pub League isnt great but Jennings was much admired up there and Motherwell fans are gutted hes left .

Two years ago i was chuffed we had signed Clingan as i thought he would give us something extra and move us up the table .Two years on i am glad he has gone and am glad we have signed a player who has the potential to take us back up to the Championship

Eightyseven

I really hope we do sign him , i think he will be a fans favourite
<br />
<br />

I hope we sign him too... Don't get me wrong. Apparently he's a midfield grafter with some bite and we've been crying out for that for years!! Let's face it... Last season we had Gary 'Pitbull' Deegan who was about as hard as mist and believed his own hype!! Pitbull my backside... More like Poodle!! I never saw the bloke make a tackle!!

Martin180

<br />
<br />

I hope we sign him too... Don't get me wrong. Apparently he's a midfield grafter with some bite and we've been crying out for that for years!! Let's face it... Last season we had Gary 'Pitbull' Deegan who was about as hard as mist and believed his own hype!! Pitbull my backside... More like Poodle!! I never saw the bloke make a tackle!!
Also i think Kilbane will be a great signing ,Carsley in the Championship was fantastic or us and i think Kilbane in L1 will have a similar influence .He is supposed to be a model professional on and off the field so will be a great role model for the younger players in the squad

Martin180

Conor Thomas has tho :mad::mad:
In a strange way i think Thomas` injury will work in his favour , a lot of fans have been expecting a lot of him and i think would have been expecting more of him at the start of the season .If we start well he will be able to integrate himself back into the side without too much expectation

brinner

am off down to bristol tomw, am looking forward to seeing Jennings in action.

hopefully see if the hungarian is any good aswell.

Users who are viewing this thread