Clarke-Salter (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Pretty sure we can’t offer him anything, just foreign clubs
I think he just can't officially sign anything. But he can make a gentleman's agreement.

I'd love him to choose us, but I'm prepared for the fact he may well choose another option, which would mean quite a CB recruitment drive over the summer.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Whether it's true or untrue the notion that we'd actually wait until the final month of his contract to make contact and propose an informal offer is a bit naive.

Last edited:

slowpoke

Would be disappointing if we didn’t get him, I hope we are on the front foot with him I’m sure there will be other interest doubtful from prem. clubs if we see ourselves now as a leading championship club we should get him.

Skybluebeliever

Well yeah obviously. But I think it's pretty likely that Robins and Clarke-Salter have had preliminary conversations about the latter's plans once his contract ends at Chelsea.
Yes nothing agreed but as previous loans for example Liam Walsh and Matty James the club would be looking to sign if terms are agreeable , these two were offered terms but declined

slowpoke

Think the Matty James issue was down to length of contract Bristol offered longer, Liam Walsh a mystery to me did we really seriously pursue him or fancy Hamer more ?

Liquid Gold

Would be a fantastic signing and have that LCB role sorted for a good few years.

With the out of contract thing he can speak to people out of his association (The FA) 6 months prior to his deal expiring and 1 month within the association. That means that he could have offers on the table from abroad but we all know how the game works and there will be contract outlines for him from English clubs that would be official in May.

I hope he does look at Liam Walsh and Matty James and realise that money isn't everything. He also has the experience of being in Brum for a coupe of years and not enjoying his football or having the fans on side.

Skybluebeliever

Think the Matty James issue was down to length of contract Bristol offered longer, Liam Walsh a mystery to me did we really seriously pursue him or fancy Hamer more ?
Bristol offered better facilities and how they looked after players also which james felt was important , Walsh was never going to turn down Bristol city as they offered 15k a week
The point is we have nearly always offered decent loan players who have impressed opportunities to sign so JCS would be the same

David O'Day

Without looking I'd imagine the rules are the pre contractual agreements cannot be made, not that pre contractual discussions cannot take place

Yeah you can talk to players in the last 6 months of a contract but you can't officially sign them until the last month. It's to stop the issue you get in Scotland where players end up playing against teams they have officially signed for.

vow

Hope it's true but it does sound a bit like his agent is touting him out already!?

KenilworthSkyBlue

Without looking I'd imagine the rules are the pre contractual agreements cannot be made, not that pre contractual discussions cannot take place

Depends on the context of the conversion and the situation I guess. It's one of those that's a bit of a grey area as it borders on the line of tapping up.

Wouldn't matter to a club like Chelsea who will have little interest what happens to Clarke-Salter once his contract expires, but if he played for another Championship club and they wished to offer him an extension, then it might be frowned upon.

Not that anything really would be done about it regardless.

Terry_dactyl

I think he just can't officially sign anything. But he can make a gentleman's agreement.

I'd love him to choose us, but I'm prepared for the fact he may well choose another option, which would mean quite a CB recruitment drive over the summer.
Is that a suggestion that we definitely won’t be offering mcfadzean a new deal?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Is that a suggestion that we definitely won’t be offering mcfadzean a new deal?
No. I've no idea what they'll do there. They have been playing Rose ahead of him recently so maybe it's a consideration to look for someone younger, but he's played well for much of this season so could be asked to stay. It is that risk that he might just start to find it a struggle all of a sudden due to age.

Users who are viewing this thread