City Take 'Keeper On Trial (1 Viewer)

procdoc

Young keeper on two day trial
Coventry City have taken keeper Mariusz Kisiel on a two day trial.
The seventeen year old who plays for Chasetown is being cast an eye over by Steve Ogrizovic, today and tomorrow.
Chasetown’s Academy Boss Andy Turner told the Wolves Express & Star: “Mario has done fantastically well, he’s gone to Coventry but one or two other Football League clubs that want to have a look him at well.

“He’s looking forward to it, as he should do, and we wouldn’t want to stand in his way if it comes off for him. It’s a testament to what we are trying to do here.”

Perryccfc

I find that a very strange move indeed.

Why? He's obviously not gonna be for first team now, he will be looked at to see whether he has the potential for the future. How on earth is that a strange move? Scouting young talent for the future is strange?

Agreed. He is a 17 year old 'keeper, taken on trial. No harm in having a look and thinking of the future. Just because the signing isn't exciting and doesn't signal the saving of our season, doesn't mean it is a bad move.

CUS Wyken

Agreed. He is a 17 year old 'keeper, taken on trial. No harm in having a look and thinking of the future. Just because the signing isn't exciting and doesn't signal the saving of our season, doesn't mean it is a bad move.

So why get rid of perfectly young keeper last year?

Plus we already have 3?? They should be spending more time looking for outfield players espeically attacking ones.

Last edited:

Plus we already have 3?? They should be spending more time looking for outfield players espeically attacking ones.

I was surprised when they let Quirke go, he looked alright from what I had seen of him. But let's be objective. He played 4 games for Coventry (coming on as a substitute in at least 1, maybe 2). He was released in the summer. Since then he has been without a club. Today, he is rumoured to have been taken on a trial basis by Yeovil Town (admittedly, only on the Football Rumours site, which is often toss). Since his release around 6 months ago, he would have put himself in the shop window at every opportunity, but remained without a club. The powers that be at CCFC (including managers, coaches and, of course, Oggy) did not think he was good enough. They saw him at every training session. They may be wrong (remember Sturridge), they may be right. But we can assume they based the decision on a lot more knowledge of Quirke than we have.

The fact we have three 'keepers is almost completely irrelevant. What if this kid grows up to be the next Schmeichel? People would bemoan us not having a look when we had the chance and probably state something along the lines of 'no, typical City, we kept faith with Lee Burge and what happened to him?!'. At the end of the day, he is a 17 year old 'keeper, not a marquee signing. Keep that in mind and take it for what it is.

Last edited:

WillieStanley

I like the quote "Coventry are looking at him... But others are as well" as if to justify that he actually has done well...

Lloyd

I was surprised when they let Quirke go, he looked alright from what I had seen of him. But let's be objective. He played 4 games for Coventry (coming on as a substitute in at least 1, maybe 2). He was released in the summer. Since then he has been without a club. Today, he is rumoured to have been taken on a trial basis by Yeovil Town (admittedly, only on the Football Rumours site, which is often toss). Since his release around 6 months ago, he would have put himself in the shop window at every opportunity, but remained without a club. The powers that be at CCFC (including managers, coaches and, of course, Oggy) did not think he was good enough. They saw him at every training session. They may be wrong (remember Sturridge), they may be right. But we can assume they based the decision on a lot more knowledge of Quirke than we have.

The fact we have three 'keepers is almost completely irrelevant. What if this kid grows up to be the next Schmeichel? People would bemoan us not having a look when we had the chance and probably state something along the lines of 'no, typical City, we kept faith with Lee Burge and what happened to him?!'. At the end of the day, he is a 17 year old 'keeper, not a marquee signing. Keep that in mind and take it for what it is.

Exactly right sir, hope he is as promising as what we're being led to believe, trust in oggys judgement :)

CCFC123

Quirke was let go because he was a little unproffesional in games and took 'chances'. The club thought he obviously wasn't going to listen.

SkyBlueScottie

I have to laugh at people bemoaning the fact we let Quirke go. We saw him for a few games, even if you watched him in the reserves or youth team you still only saw him for a portion of the time Oggy did.....

Bloodnut1964

I find it strange because I think we should be looking at bringing players into the first team, we can look at youth later on down the line when we are more solid, let's face it we are almost staring admin in the face and if worst comes to the worst we might not even have a club to support soon. So my point is concentrate on the first team at the moment, I am sure people realise the whole of CCFC is in a very delicate position at the moment, so building for the future when we might not even have one is a bit silly.
Having said that, If we sign him I hope he turns out to be brilliant!!

shmmeee

Agree with everything you say, except "remember Sturridge". We didn't release him, he was poached. That's why we got cash for him and for his move to Chelsea.

Tonylinc

This is exactly what Sisu are about. Buy young and hungry and sell at the first offer. The fact that the first team are suffering from a distinct lack of quality NOW is of no consequence!

PVA

Do people really think that taking a 17 year old kid on trial means we're not looking at strengthening the first team? Really? :facepalm:

J

Jack Griffin

This is not a decent story, why is it in the Cioventry Telegraph at all?

Skybluedar

It's a sad state of affairs when people hear a story that we are giving some kid a trial (regardless of what position he plays), and start giving out that we are not trying to get a first team striker in. The reality is that clubs take players on trial all the time and most of the time it doesn't get heard about until after. In this case we are giving a kid an opportunity of potentially joining our academy, which regardless of who is running the club, is going to become the backbone of what the future of the club is built on. Albeit a far darker future if we cannot get SISU out. I hope the lad earns a contract and he may even be in and around the first team before too long if he develops.

But if we can coach him to a better standard and see something in him then perhaps we can sell on for a profit at some point who knows. Perhaps in the clubs opinion the other young keepers we have or had are and were not good enough, we are not experts nor are we qualified to decide if this is good or bad.

We dont need another keeper but perhaps we need something that may be worth more that we can later sell at a profit?

Perryccfc

I have to disagree with people who say we don't need this player or that player because of irrelevant criteria such as age or position. Granted were not scarily short in the GK but if this lad has potential to improve the squad then in my opinion we need him. Just my opinion. Not having a dig at anybodys elses.

Astute

You make me laugh sometimes. I am almost sure now that you are a WUM. You say AT is a crap manager. You say AT is crap at everything. You say who has he ever scouted. They take a look at a young player. He could be a star in the making for all we know. You only ever go on about negatives, and try your best to find negatives in anything positive. We bring in a 37 year old experienced defender. He is too old. We bring in a 20 year old striker. He is too young. What age should we look at?

CUS Wyken

You make me laugh sometimes. I am almost sure now that you are a WUM. You say AT is a crap manager. You say AT is crap at everything. You say who has he ever scouted. They take a look at a young player. He could be a star in the making for all we know. You only ever go on about negatives, and try your best to find negatives in anything positive. We bring in a 37 year old experienced defender. He is too old. We bring in a 20 year old striker. He is too young. What age should we look at?

I’m a WUM??? Behave eh.... No I am a realist who hates seeing what Thorn and SISU combined are doing to this club.

We are in the worst league position since i was born. It’s the worst football I’ve seen since I’ve been born. Yes SISU have been the main problem but they have only covered the cracks in Thorn’s Management.

I can’t believe you think a player of 37 who has played just 2 games all season is a good signing? It’s bad enough when a player has no pre season in his prime but at 37? It’s going to take him at least 5 games to settle down, we haven’t got the time to give players time to get match fit.

Secondly on the 20 year old, he might be a prospect but prospects are not what we need at present He’s here for just over 3 months to gain experience, is he really going to be bothered about this club if we go down, no.

Now if you know anything about football, you’ll know that players are found by scouts. Now what bothers me, the scout are looking at players which are not needed. Quirke in my eyes was perfectly capable back up as a keeper gets released. Now i’d rather our scout time was spent scouting for players in positions we are in need of. Wingers and creativity in midfield.

Gaz

I think we have to trust Thorn & Oggy, on Quirke as they got to see him on a daily basis, also who is he with now.

Astute

I’m a WUM??? Behave eh.... No I am a realist who hates seeing what Thorn and SISU combined are doing to this club.

We are in the worst league position since i was born. It’s the worst football I’ve seen since I’ve been born. Yes SISU have been the main problem but they have only covered the cracks in Thorn’s Management.

I can’t believe you think a player of 37 who has played just 2 games all season is a good signing? It’s bad enough when a player has no pre season in his prime but at 37? It’s going to take him at least 5 games to settle down, we haven’t got the time to give players time to get match fit.

Secondly on the 20 year old, he might be a prospect but prospects are not what we need at present He’s here for just over 3 months to gain experience, is he really going to be bothered about this club if we go down, no.

Now if you know anything about football, you’ll know that players are found by scouts. Now what bothers me, the scout are looking at players which are not needed. Quirke in my eyes was perfectly capable back up as a keeper gets released. Now i’d rather our scout time was spent scouting for players in positions we are in need of. Wingers and creativity in midfield.

Where is Quirke now, this capable keeper in your eyes? We need a LB. We got an experienced LB. We have no money. So who should AT of got without money?

You need yo get realistic to constraints put on us by SISU. They sell every player that can score goals. But as you say, all the fault of AT. Nothing to do with having the weakest side I can ever remember. Weaker than all the teams that have finished near the bottom of the Championship for us, other than when we signed a player older than the one you say is too old for us now :facepalm:

You still have not said who should manage us that would get more out our skeleton squad without goalscorers without money available for a good managers wages. You need to have a reality check. Yes, we are looking at young players to join our youth squad. Players on next to no money. I suppose this is the fault of AT :thinking about: What is the use of him scouting players we could not sign as they would cost real money to sign and real money for wages? We have been reduced to looking for scraps at the bottom of the barrel. This is the fault of SISU. SISU alone. Not the fault of anyone that people like yourself to have as an easy target.

The Reverend Skyblue

Astute, the majority including CUS believe that SISU take the blame solely for putting this club in the situation, absolutely nothing to do with Thorn.

But a lot beleieve that the tactics and the positions he plays players in are a little bewildering. Plaease don't say i have'nt given an alternative as how i would do it as i've done it some time last week, and i stress its my opinion and as i respect your views you should respect mine, wether you agee or not, but because we are fellow skyblue supporters.

As for who else is out there who would work for the money, and with no prospects of buying anyone, then i believe more capable people are out there who have actually managed a football team,including tactics etc. Someone young , from the lower leagues would i believe jump at the chance of managing us,whatever the conditions are, Robinson at MK Dons, the Cheltenham manager,i can't remember his name, both work with no money at all, but produce exciting attacking football, and please don't tell me they would'nt work for the money Thorn's on,as they must be on a lot less than Thorn is on.
I am not saying sack Thorn, as i believe he is a good scout and should be retained in our set up, but i am replying solely to your post and as a counter argument

The Rev

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread