City of Culture Bid (1 Viewer)

Otis

I think it will still be a long time before Wasps are considered a Coventry club.

You have to remember why they came here and that was simply for the stadium. They have no interest in the city of Coventry and it wouldn't have ever been on their radar as a potential new home without the Ricoh Arena.

The fact they were looking a lots of potential options to move just shows they were picking and choosing pretty much based in a ground alone.

Otis

City of Culture......walk around town any day of the week and you are surrounded by homeless people and buskers, is that what our culture consists of?
As I have said loads if times, this is a nationwide problem. Go to any major city and it's the same thing. Maybe best just scrap the City of Culture.

NortonSkyBlue

I don't buy that argument. If you went to any other city in the country and asked random people in the street to name a sports team they associate with Coventry the answer would overwhelmingly be Coventry City.
Wont dispute that Chiefdave! but if you were sell your home you wouldn't highlight your dry rot, damp or subsidence.
This is not a quiz, it's a bid. 15 years ago a bid that would may not have highlighted JLR or diverse ethnic population. Times change and we are not relevant at the moment.

clint van damme

Absolutely. most of the miserable gits spend their whole lives running the place down and the other half are foreign born and have no real affinity with the place. I enjoy a trip to Cov, always have, love some of the old buildings and the history, enjoy the theatre and some of the characterful little pubs. My relatives were all from Cov and almost all of them ran it down too.

In my experience a lot of the foreigners I know who have settled here talk it up more than a many of those born and bred in the City.

Grendel

Grow up. It’s not just the councillors that will benefit from jobs and investment in the City is it?

Do you have a bat phone that alerts you when the council are criticised council boy?

martcov

I was listening to someone from Hull on the radio recently. They have done really well out of their City of Culture status, millions of pounds pumped into the local economy. I hope Coventry is successful as it would be a force for good in the City. I just can't understand, if it is true, a bid which would exclude mention of great sporting tradition in CCFC and CRFC.

I thought city joined the bid recently. Or at least they said they were happy to support the bid.

Greggs

As I have said loads if times, this is a nationwide problem. Go to any major city and it's the same thing. Maybe best just scrap the City of Culture.
Or rather than spends billions a year on war, invest in our own society..??

martcov

So if we rip up the past we're as bad as the Taliban destroying monuments in Syria.
It's what Coventry does time and time again in its recent history, it never takes pride in what it has because it's had it for time, it tries to move ointo the next shiny, bright, transient thing.

And as such it loses an identity.

What have we ripped up? Adding a successful sports club is a plus in a presentation. That it isn’t a fourth division club which loses to teams like Forest Green at home in the presentation should come as no surprise. Wasps don’t pick the team for CCFC or allocate budget. Yes, it as a crying shame, but that is where we are.

martcov

No they don't. They are a franchise and represent an aspect of Coventry as much as a branch of Tesco represents Coventry retailers. They have no real connection with Coventry and the only thing they're really interested in his PR to grow their income.

It'd be good to see Coventry City Council do an impact analysis of Wasps to demonstrate all the jobs and economic growth they were going to bring, it must have materialised by now. I do hope none of them are those horrible zero hours contracts that Labour are (rightly) against.

That would have nothing to do with the present sales pitch which is trying to sell the city. No one looking at the presentation gives a monkey on why and how Wasps are here. They are here at the moment of placing a bid and have no known plans or reasons to leave ( at the moment).

Ian1779

Wont dispute that Chiefdave! but if you were sell your home you wouldn't highlight your dry rot, damp or subsidence.
This is not a quiz, it's a bid. 15 years ago a bid that would may not have highlighted JLR or diverse ethnic population. Times change and we are not relevant at the moment.

So ignoring some of the intrinsic parts of a citys history... isn't that the vey definition of culture?

It would be like Liverpool ignoring the cultural impact of the Beatles because they're nearly all dead.

NortonSkyBlue

So ignoring some of the intrinsic parts of a citys history... isn't that the vey definition of culture?

It would be like Liverpool ignoring the cultural impact of the Beatles because they're nearly all dead.
Really Ian1779? You think that Coventry City have a great story to tell? You equate our impact with that of the Beatles?
Blinkers off and as much as I love my club and indeed the city of my upbringing I can't say that it is a big selling point for such a bid.

martcov

City showed little interest in getting involved at the beginning. I had contacts with them and pointed out that Wasps were going to grab the lim

Irish Sky Blue

They are here, and they have every legal right to be. You don't have to be happy about that, but that's reality nonetheless. Your post implies that we all ought to agree with you - obviously what's happened is far from being to CCFC's advantage, but let's face it, the real responsibility for what has happened lies principally with CCFC owners past and present.
I agree with you. The fact Wasps are here I think is down to Sisu and the games that they played. I am sure there are lots of views on Wasps. My own view is that they were a south east based team. That's where their roots were, that's where their fans were. I hate the idea of franchise sports teams. Legally a club might not belong to it's fans and it's community but morally and spiritually I think it does. Wimbledon had no connection to MK and was ripped away from it's fans and it's community. Wasps move may have caused less bother but essentially the same thing happened. They were moved on the whim of a businessman. I wonder how many of the 5k who used to watch them at Adams Park are able to watch them at the Ricoh? As far as I am concerned they are not a Coventry team. Once Sisu have gone, I hope that they fail and return to their roots leaving the Ricoh to the club it was built for.

Ian1779

Really Ian1779? You think that Coventry City have a great story to tell? You equate our impact with that of the Beatles?
Blinkers off and as much as I love my club and indeed the city of my upbringing I can't say that it is a big selling point for such a bid.

They have more of a story to tell about Coventry than some parasites from 80 miles away..

Irish Sky Blue

I think you are misjudging the impact of the fall we have had. To most football fans we are a fairly big club fallen on hard times. The stick I took today at work in Chelmsley Wood for the fact we were beaten by FGR proves the point. They know how far down the pan we have gone, but their amusement at the result shows that they recognise are status. Having travelled to Barnet and Accrington, the reaction of the home fans was telling. They fact that their team had got a result against a club as big as CCFC delighted them.
We haven't disappeared. We are still here and so is that glorious history. I would think that the largest ever gathering in Coventry City Centre ( the Pope beat us at Bagington) was the 250k who turned out to welcome the cup winners back. Wasps will never do that or anything like. We may be the past, but one day we will be back. Our club is the premier sporting club in the City and deserves to be recognised as such.

CovFan

The promotional booklet that was given away with the Cov Telegraph a couple weeks ago had a whole paragraph on sport at the Ricoh.

It mentioned Wasps, Wasps netball and that it hosted Olympic football. Doesn't mention anything else.

letsallsingtogether

Do you have a bat phone that alerts you when the council are criticised council boy?
What a phone like yours?
Anyone who says anything good about our City and your over it like a rash.
Why do you even live here?

pastythegreat

I think it will still be a long time before Wasps are considered a Coventry club.

You have to remember why they came here and that was simply for the stadium. They have no interest in the city of Coventry and it wouldn't have ever been on their radar as a potential new home without the Ricoh Arena.

The fact they were looking a lots of potential options to move just shows they were picking and choosing pretty much based in a ground alone.
In my eyes they'll never be considered a Coventry club. The fact that they changed their name from London wasps to just wasps says all I need to know. No connection with Coventry. So when they move on they don't have to change it again. Just keep it simple. A lot of brummies I work with go and watch wasps. Would they go if they were affiliated with (not just playing in) Coventry? Probably not.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Ashdown

I agree with you. The fact Wasps are here I think is down to Sisu and the games that they played. I am sure there are lots of views on Wasps. My own view is that they were a south east based team. That's where their roots were, that's where their fans were. I hate the idea of franchise sports teams. Legally a club might not belong to it's fans and it's community but morally and spiritually I think it does. Wimbledon had no connection to MK and was ripped away from it's fans and it's community. Wasps move may have caused less bother but essentially the same thing happened. They were moved on the whim of a businessman. I wonder how many of the 5k who used to watch them at Adams Park are able to watch them at the Ricoh? As far as I am concerned they are not a Coventry team. Once Sisu have gone, I hope that they fail and return to their roots leaving the Ricoh to the club it was built for.
Here here !

NortonSkyBlue

I think you are misjudging the impact of the fall we have had. To most football fans we are a fairly big club fallen on hard times. The stick I took today at work in Chelmsley Wood for the fact we were beaten by FGR proves the point. They know how far down the pan we have gone, but their amusement at the result shows that they recognise are status. Having travelled to Barnet and Accrington, the reaction of the home fans was telling. They fact that their team had got a result against a club as big as CCFC delighted them.
We haven't disappeared. We are still here and so is that glorious history. I would think that the largest ever gathering in Coventry City Centre ( the Pope beat us at Bagington) was the 250k who turned out to welcome the cup winners back. Wasps will never do that or anything like. We may be the past, but one day we will be back. Our club is the premier sporting club in the City and deserves to be recognised as such.
All your points are valid. None change the optics that our club is irrelevant in the context of this bid.
By the way even here in KSA the piss is taken when we lose to these clubs but as I point out to them we are now one of those clubs.

pastythegreat

No but you'd highlight the fact that it used to be one of the best homes in the city that is now just a little bit dilapidated. With a bit of love and a lick of paint it's the beating heart of the community the bid represents.
You know, 47k people came to look at my house a few months back. How many turned up at your house for the 150th anniversary?

NortonSkyBlue

No but you'd highlight the fact that it used to be one of the best homes in the city that is now just a little bit dilapidated. With a bit of love and a lick of paint it's the beating heart of the community the bid represents.
You know, 47k people came to look at my house a few months back. How many turned up at your house for the 150th anniversary?

I understand what you are saying and believe me I wish things were different but I can also get why you would exclude us from such a bid.
If you were to read this thread and were on the awarding panel you would steer clear of this city.
That is our what our fellow coventrians think of the city, the beating heart of the community the bid represents.

clint van damme

I understand what you are saying and believe me I wish things were different but I can also get why you would exclude us from such a bid.
If you were to read this thread and were on the awarding panel you would steer clear of this city.
That is our what our fellow coventrians think of the city, the beating heart of the community the bid represents.

it's a Coventry City message board and we've been excluded from the bids promotional material, if they're reading this board do you thing they'd expect to find any other reaction?

Nick

Administrator

Did you see the community back in March / April time when 40,000+ plus were gearing up to go to Wembley? Did you then see the community when Wasps played in their big game and lost the league?

Compare the 2.

NortonSkyBlue

Did you see the community back in March / April time when 40,000+ plus were gearing up to go to Wembley? Did you then see the community when Wasps played in their big game and lost the league?

Compare the 2.
Nick, you are preaching to the converted. The BID is the point and Coventry City are not sexy in terms of the bid-fact.

NortonSkyBlue

it's a Coventry City message board and we've been excluded from the bids promotional material, if they're reading this board do you thing they'd expect to find any other reaction?
You missed my point, its the posters stating that Coventry is a shit place and doesn't deserve the award.

clint van damme

You missed my point, its the posters stating that Coventry is a shit place and doesn't deserve the award.

but perhaps they're pissed off because City have been airbrushed out of the bid, perhaps not.
I think you'll find people from the other contenders who run their own town down as well, it's not unique to Cov.
I personally big the place up a lot myself and always will do.

chiefdave

Did you see the community back in March / April time when 40,000+ plus were gearing up to go to Wembley?
And that's the bit you include surely? It would only be a few seconds of footage so footage of the cup final or Jimmy's statue would do it.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
no point to make but are CCFC actively involved in the City of Culture bid? If so in what way?

I do find it surprising that CCFC are not mentioned

Users who are viewing this thread