City loan window thread (1 Viewer)

AFCCOVENTRY

Discuss all the exciting possibilities of the loan window.

I think Chaplin is still our main target and a loan deal similar to JCH is a possibility.

O'Brien wanted to leave. Once Burge is back and maybe a loan keeper in he may leave.

Quite a lot of U23 players. Some may leave for some league or non league experience.

Esoterica

Need him to get us to Wembley in the Checkatrade !
He can still do that if his loan is to non league I think, sure i read that loans to National League can still represent the parent club in the Checkatrade. Although I do think L2 would be more appropriate for him.

shmmeee

In: CB, ST. Would've liked a GK but can only play three I think.

Out: Anyone aged 19-23 who isn't in direct contention for the first team. Maybe keep the newbies like Williams around until Jan so they benefit from our training.

covfanman

Well, considering we lost Willis, Bayliss, Jones and Burge yesterday, there's some big gaps to fill.
genuinely gave me a small heart attack, then i realised

"Otis would post such a direct and to the point message as this"

Thanks for ruining my breakfast :D

GaryJones

I would get one or two in if possible - a Centre Back plus Chaplin (if its ever going to happen).
I would keep everyone else.

Fergusons_Beard

No idea what the obsession with Chaplin is-we’ve got Strikers who are as good, if not better than the Pompey front man.

Loans? We need a GK (if LOB going) and maybe a speedy winger.

At CB we already have back up galore (in terms of youngsters) and we ain’t going to get an experienced CB on loan.

Mantra for loans should be don’t loan anyone who isn’t better than what we already have. Were any of the loans from last year really any better than our own players? (Definitely not if you looked at how little they played!)

We should send a message to our young bucks that they can make the first team.

Not loans for loans sake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mark82

No idea what the obsession with Chaplin is-we’ve got Strikers who are as good, if not better than the Pompey front man.

At CB we already have back up galore (in terms of youngsters) and we ain’t going to get an experienced CB on loan.

Mantra for loans should be don’t loan anyone who isn’t better than what we already have. Were any of the loans from last year really any better than our own players? (Definitely not if you looked at how little they played!)

Chaplin is a bit different from what we currently have. He's very much in the McNulty mould. Would offer something a bit different, and he has bags of potential. I think if we loan Chaplin it will be with a view to making it permanent. I don't think he's necessarily needed but would give us an added dimension and is better than what we have in the role he plays.

Not sure we need any more wingers at this point, think we'll be ok once Jones is back to fitness. Centre Back I disagree, I think you can get experience in the loan market but it's very difficult (which was why I was upset yesterday). I think if we can improve what we have, whether young or old, it's worth doing.

Completely agree that any loans need to be better than what we have, although my definition would strwtst to if they aren't better than our reserves. In most cases I'd rather give our kids experience than someone else's though.

skybluepm2

Agree with what you’re saying in terms of Chaplin, I think it’s more the ‘like for like’ nature of what Chaplin would bring. Who’s to say that Hiwula won’t be that man, certainly too soon to gauge. Interesting that #10 remains vacant which for me points toward us still looking to do something.

LoB didn’t do too badly last week, not a lot between him and Burge and I still remain of the opinion that we need someone better now we’ve stepped up a league, we should do the same in personnel.

CB wise is a puzzling one for me. Rod didn’t turn into a poor player overnight and he earnt rave reviews for his part in our early season form defensively last season. I think we should’ve held onto him for a little while longer as 3 wasn’t enough last year and surely won’t be this season either. Hyam, Willis, Davies and Rod seemed to end up having a fairly even split of games.

Is young Thompson good enough to step up to the plate? It’s a lot of expectation to do so for someone who didn’t feature in League 2, is extremely raw and was unfortunately part of the reason we conceded our second last Saturday.

I think we are ok winger wise, with Jones and Allassani plus sterling and Hilwala etc should be able to occupy the forward positions as and when required.

Certainly agree with the mantra of not bringing people in for the sake of it nor anyone who isn’t better than what we already have.

I don’t think we are far away of having a very strong squad at this level. Fingers crossed we don’t have the same rotten luck with injuries as we did last season!

Esoterica

Is young Thompson good enough to step up to the plate? It’s a lot of expectation to do so for someone who didn’t feature in League 2, is extremely raw and was unfortunately part of the reason we conceded our second last Saturday.
What did you think he was to blame for with the 2nd goal? For me Mason got caught slightly out of position by the diagonal pass and Sterling ball watched and left his man free. I don't think Thompson could have done much more when the ball was pulled back like that (although I wouldn't have complained too much if a penalty was given for his challenge)

Last edited:

better days

Declan Rice was playing in the Premier League for West Ham at 18 last year.
He made the odd ricket but is now a full International for Ireland and some of the top six clubs would like to buy him
Young players do make more mistakes than guys who've been playing men's football for years
The key is whether they learn from them

Hobo

What did you think he was to blame for with the 2nd goal? For me Mason got caught slightly out of position by the diagonal pass and Sterling ball watched and left his man free. I don't think Thompson could have done much more when the ball was pulled back like that (although I wouldn't have complained too much if a penalty was given for his challenge)

Couldn't agree more and this time last year people were saying Hyam had no experience, but then neither had Bayliss or Shipley.

SkyBlueCRJ

Ryan Inniss would be a good fit on loan. Has previous League On experience and on paper is the type of CB we should be looking at.

shmmeee

Ryan Inniss would be a good fit on loan. Has previous League On experience and on paper is the type of CB we should be looking at.

From his wiki:

Page described him as "the unluckiest player I think I have ever met with injuries"

Sounds perfect for one of our L1 CBs.

SlowerThanPlatt

Chelsea forward Ike Ugbo still hasn’t moved anywhere. He’s had two loan spells previously with limited success at MK Dons and Barnsley

fatso

You are joking right?

Users who are viewing this thread