City agree fee for McDonald (1 Viewer)

Gaz

It's aggressive bashing because this CM rumour hasn't even been confirmed yet the usual mob are there straight away to stick the boot in.

In my eyes, that's clearly aggressive bashing.

Gaz

What I would like to know is if he only had to sell turner to raise funds to buy him. Then it looks an appalling misjudgement.

I don't think any of us Cov fans would think Turner was sold just to bring in CM.
Turner was going no matter what.

skybluedan

fact is this is a sky blue forum and everyone has there own views on all shit skyblue ffs

Nick

Administrator
It's aggressive bashing because this CM rumour hasn't even been confirmed yet the usual mob are there straight away to stick the boot in.

Nobody is sticking the boot in and nobody is being aggressive?

Brighton Sky Blue

Why is it that the majority of threads here always end up in a bitching contest? You expect debate on a forum but for flip's sake, this is getting ridiculous-what next, 'If you say Thorn's gone bald you're a traitor'?. What this club needs is unified support-and not to become more of a laughing stock than folk in suits have already made it.

stupot07

Ffs - AT has no say on who get sold, just like the boothroyd and Coleman. These decisions are made at a board level, and we know that because it's the reason Hoffman and Ranson resigned, and they were on the board and still had little influence on the decisions (e.g. Fox, Dann, Thomas loan).

The most likely scenario is that Bournemouth made an approach which was more than we paid for him and thus the board agreed.

Anyway it's fallen through so what is the problem?

Grendel

It's only aggressive if it does not support your argument

Gaz

Nobody is sticking the boot in and nobody is being aggressive?

This thread was started about a rumour of us accepting abid for CM.
It then only took the 5th comment before someone try's to use it to stick the boot in on AT.
Now I'm not sticking up for AT here out of blind faith, I just think it's laughable how so many times a small amount on here seem to use every opertunity to bash our manager.

Grendel

I don't think any of us Cov fans would think Turner was sold just to bring in CM.
Turner was going no matter what.

Is that a fact or just something you have made up

superskyblue

Yeah it's so bloody irritating. As a relatively new member I feel like I'm entering into a private members club and I'm not allowed to speak until I'm spoken to. There's always the same few who turn it into an online shouting match.

Why is it that the majority of threads here always end up in a bitching contest? You expect debate on a forum but for flip's sake, this is getting ridiculous-what next, 'If you say Thorn's gone bald you're a traitor'?. What this club needs is unified support-and not to become more of a laughing stock than folk in suits have already made it.

Otis

For me that's just semantics. If anything I think he was trying to get behind the lad and give him some confidence and support on his first day at a new job.

So why not say every player he brings in is his 'number one target then?' If he did it to give the lad confidence and support does that mean he hasn't wanted to give confidence and support to anyone else who's come here?

I just don't see any problem here at all with the believing that in this instance Thorn may have made a mistake. Not Thorn bashing, just the analysing of the situation based on the info we've been given (AT saying CM was his no.1 target, the lad hardly getting a game and now apparently being up for offer to other teams after just a few months at the club).

Last edited:

PhilWasn'tBabb

So why not say every player he brings in is his 'number one target then?' If he did it to give the lad confidence and support does that mean he hasn't wanted to give confidence and support to anyone else who's come here?

I just don't see any problem here at all with the believing that in this instance Thorn may have made a mistake. Not Thorn bashing, just the analysing of the situation based on the info we've been given (AT saying CM was his no.1 target, the lad hardly getting a game and now apparently being up for offer to other teams after just a few months at the club).

I've not got a problem with AT making a mistake or people saying he has, I think he's made a number over the season. I just feel there is a general rush to get on a new players back, the boo boy culture(not all together directing that you Otis) we have at coventry is very harsh and just counter productive.

If it's true that they have tried to off load McDonald ready I think that is very unfortunate, I just hope we can give the lad more of a chance once he's go over his injury.

Otis

I haven't come to any conclusions as to whether McDonald is crap or not. We simply haven't seen enough of him. There's something wrong here though I think. Can only assume that having worked with him on the training ground that Thorn doesn't rate him as highly as he first thought.

Shame. Looking at vids of his goals in League One and Two, he looked fast and pacy and a natural goalscorer.

Astute

Not trying to bash him, just why has his number 1 target hardly played and being touted for sale?

Could his number one target have been injured?

Touted for sale? His number one striker was touted for sale and then sold. Bad boy AT. Why did he want to sell Juke?

Come on Nick, so you really think AT wants to sell his players when he don't have enough to start with. SISU decides who comes in if they are cheap enough. SISU decides who they sell if they can get enough cash for them. It don't matter how much AT likes or needs the players.

torchomatic

Which won't have been often as he's injured.

Not sure why the whole debate has started really. He hasn't had a chance because he's injured, but if they are getting rid of him then Thorn made a mistake. So what? We all make mistakes. I bought a car once because it looked a good buy, but it was pretty rubbish and I had to sell it. I made a mistake.

Luckliy for me people weren't analying every word and purchase I made and discussing it on message boards. Otherwise they would have heard me tell my wife "I'm so pleased I got the car, it was a bargain". That would have been thrown back in my face, wouldn't it?

ICan only assume that having worked with him on the training ground that Thorn doesn't rate him as highly as he first thought.

Shame. Looking at vids of his goals in League One and Two, he looked fast and pacy and a natural goalscorer.

Last edited:

kingharvest

I love the fact that all if a sudden everyone thinks Thorn has a say about who is sold, after spending all season slagging off SISU for asset stripping.

Maybe CM is just another player SISU can find a buyer for? Maybe thorn doesn't want him to go?

A lot of you seem to have forgotten the game here...

Otis

But it's not a question of him having a say in who's sold. If McDonald had been playing and then we were looking to sell him then I'd point to Sisu, but the fact is even though he was injured for a while he was back in training some time ago and Thorn has hardly played the lad. That kind of points to him being surplus to Thorn's requirements.

If not for AT saying that McDonald was his number one target, I would again have been pointing the finger in Sisu's direction.

Otis

Which won't have been often as he's injured.

Not sure why the whole debate has started really. He hasn't had a chance because he's injured, but if they are getting rid of him then Thorn made a mistake. So what? We all make mistakes. I bought a car once because it looked a good buy, but it was pretty rubbish and I had to sell it. I made a mistake.

Luckliy for me people weren't analying every word and purchase I made and discussing it on message boards. Otherwise they would have heard me tell my wife "I'm so pleased I got the car, it was a bargain". That would have been thrown back in my face, wouldn't it?

So if you bought this car and something went wrong with it you wouldn't talk to any of your friends and colleagues about it then?

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Everyone who mocks Thorn's claim that CM was his number one transfer target, surely by hidden insinuation is mocking that the transfer hasn't been a success; and that players such as Le Fondre was a better option.

Surely it's too early to make that call? CM may turn out to be a revelation, and thus Thorn's words warranted?

ICHAN

I agree JT and have always stated that he needs time and game time before he can be judged but some are/have been unwilling to give him the time.

I was just trying to state that some are to quick to deny AT of any blame for anything (gaz's quote was just used as I couldn't be arsed to carry on reading all the thread)

Otis

I don't see how anyone can judge him. As i've said before, he's hardly kicked a ball in anger.

Not sure what's gone wrong. When he first came he was kept out of the first team for some time, apparently unfit.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

I agree JT and have always stated that he needs time and game time before he can be judged but some are/have been unwilling to give him the time.

I was just trying to state that some are to quick to deny AT of any blame for anything (gaz's quote was just used as I couldn't be arsed to carry on reading all the thread)

I think there's an element of this having two sides. Within a matter of a few posts of this thread starting, McDonald's potential departure - or initial signing - is cited as another Thorn 'cock up'. Which isn't fair. So, those with leanings and sympathy towards Thorn become equally blind in their defence of the man; and the whole debate becomes too binary for any balanced discussion to continue

ICHAN

Cov fans though otis a player always get's judged to early.

Their either shit or not after a couple of games.

Players should be given a chance and not be judged on a hand full of games.

Gaz

If CM turns out to be a bad player then I'll be one of the first to say Thorn got it wrong.
Until he has played a run of games after his injuries, we won't know if that's the case or not.

It's not laughable how some stick up for Thorn.
It's laughable how some are so quick to make an issue of a manager who may or may not have brought a poor player.

Gaz

This is so true. :)

I think there's an element of this having two sides. Within a matter of a few posts of this thread starting, McDonald's potential departure - or initial signing - is cited as another Thorn 'cock up'. Which isn't fair. So, those with leanings and sympathy towards Thorn become equally blind in their defence of the man; and the whole debate becomes too binary for any balanced discussion to continue

skybluebeduff

I'm sure league rules states that you cannot be brought twice in one season, go out on loan yes but not a permanent transfer!!

ICHAN

All managers make poor signings, no matter who they are.

CM should be given a chance to try and prove himself, if he's a failure then so be it, thats just one of them things that happen, let's just hope he doesn't get booed when he does play again, and is given a fair chance.

Last edited:

CJparker

From AT's comments last night, I doubt that Cody will be leaving.

skybluealways

AT was most likely saying CM was his number one target after ALF chose Reading over us as SISU refused to offer the same deal as them.
AT was never going to come out and say oh i had to settle for second best, it gives the player confidence when he joins to believe he was the managers number one target and was after him for a while as it istantly makes them feel wanted and energises them to do well.

CM will be fine, i would hang on to him. He is a natural finisher and if the unthinkable happens, in league one it is not much different to league two so he could be fine in that league if it comes to it.
His positioning at Ipswich was class and he was not even no where near fit. Would you all be on his back had his header that was cleared off the line just before the interval gone flying in and potentially changed the course of the game??? NO!!

Users who are viewing this thread