Cineworld bows to the bigots (1 Viewer)

Alan Dugdales Moustache

clint van damme

I can understand why they've done it but it's shameful they've been coerced into it.
Police and CPS should track down and prosecute anyone making threats but it won't happen.

clint van damme

Yup. It was the same with Life of Brian. Some people wanted it banned before they had even seen it.

And just like the life of Brian protests, (which I'm fairly sure didn't carry a threat of malice or violence), they'll guarantee far more people will watch this film than if there'd been no protests.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Someone outside had a banner with "Cineworld Promotes Hate" . I wonder what he'd have done if the film actually went ahead. The hypocrisy is extraordinary.

fernandopartridge

Is it a kind of nudie film, cleric?

Sure I might wander in...
3b3514dd65c71773b14250530936a266.gif

Alan Dugdales Moustache

It’s not, but I’d like to see some action taken against those that have issued threats.

Then again I’d like to see the same from the Brexit debate and the many others.

Something needs to be done to reverse this trend of people threatening violence because others disagree with them.
I wonder what their God thinks of their anger and intolerance. I wonder if they ever give that some thought. I doubt it, in which case their own personal religious beliefs are extremely convenient only when it suits them.

stay_up_skyblues

It’s not, but I’d like to see some action taken against those that have issued threats.

Then again I’d like to see the same from the Brexit debate and the many others.

Something needs to be done to reverse this trend of people threatening violence because others disagree with them.

Agree. And more importantly kowtowing to it should be avoided. Sets an ugly precedent here. Not that you can blame cinema management worrying for the safety of their staff…. could conceivably result in a Charlie Hebdo situation. Good old religion.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Agree. And more importantly kowtowing to it should be avoided. Sets an ugly precedent here. Not that you can blame cinema management worrying for the safety of their staff…. could conceivably result in a Charlie Hebdo situation. Good old religion.
Yes, I bet their God was really pleased with them. An excellent days work. These people are a threat to democracy. It's as simple as that.

Tommo1993

Pretty sure it’s just another “someone said something online, I’m going to protest”

Misrepresents a historical figure, name me a film based on fact that doesn’t.

shmmeee

James O’Brien made a fair point (I know), which was if you’re a cinema minimally staffed with teenagers on minimum wage, are you going to ask them to hold off 100 angry zealots?

Police/government support is needed, it’s not down to Ryan, Area Manager at Cineworld.

chiefdave

James O’Brien made a fair point (I know), which was if you’re a cinema minimally staffed with teenagers on minimum wage, are you going to ask them to hold off 100 angry zealots?

Police/government support is needed, it’s not down to Ryan, Area Manager at Cineworld.
not a fan of his but he's spot on here. Its not Cineworld taking a decision to ban the film based on what is in it or objections from certain groups. Its them worrying about the safety of their staff, or more likely the potential for damage to the cinemas.

Was this film even on anyone's radar before this? As usual the protesters have given something that would have gone largely unnoticed massive publicity.

Tommo1993

Tbf he did run rings around his caller Billy.

Grendel

I think they’re a lot closer to the latter than the former.

?

The Muslim Council of Britain support the protests and want the film banned don’t they?

As ever a statement was released which attempted to sound concessional but describes the film maker and its viewers as divisive. Divisive about what exactly

SBT

?

The Muslim Council of Britain support the protests and want the film banned don’t they?

As ever a statement was released which attempted to sound concessional but describes the film maker and its viewers as divisive. Divisive about what exactly

Do they? Their statement doesn’t say anything about the protests, or banning the film. What have the MCB told you?

The Muslims I know have either never heard of the film, or couldn’t give a shit.

shmmeee

Aren’t they just a rent-a-mob bunch who protest other stuff like the LGBT curriculum? Don’t think they’re locals or anything.

Grendel

duffer

I agree, although we have to be careful that the law doesn't change to stop a reasonable protest from happening.

To be clear, this is not a reasonable protest.

I think we're actually aligned on this, but I'd say it could be a reasonable protest if done reasonably (i.e. without offering threat to patrons or staff).

However, I don't agree with the purpose of it for a minute. I'm absolutely for freedom of religion, and absolutely against anyone trying to leverage that to tell anyone else what they should or shouldn't watch, say, do, or read (as long as that is also within the law).

Reactions: AOM

Users who are viewing this thread