Christmas Quiz Results - And the Winner! (1 Viewer)

Grendel

So all over and we have a winner

Will go through the answers first

Right Back - surprised not everyone who entered got this. It was Brian "Harry" Roberts - I think he was actually called this after the infamous killer;

Left Back - GREG Lake and Sussex DOWNS

Centre Half 1 - Photo of Jimmy the Uncle of Alan Dugdale - (was a clue in the words "clean shaven")

Centre Half 2 - Dave Philpotts (killer refence to Mick Philpott)

Right Midfield - The 2 Dicks were Richard Burton and Richard Harris. The foreign guy was Hardy Kruger. So the clue was Roger Moore. The film was Wild Geese and Roger Moore was Sean Flynn in the film. Also a clue in the "caravan" reference as Flynn owns a caravan park in Cornwall.

Centre Midfield 1 - The picture is the Livingstone Stanley monument in Berundi. Hence the "presume" references (even though they did not meet there). So the player is Gael Bigirimana

Centre Midfield 2 - Reference to "knees" was aimed at Milwall which is the one game Eddie Stanford featured in

Left Midfield - RUNNER Bean and NORMAN soldier

Striker 1 - Steve Livingtone so again referencing the Livingstone Stanley monument

Striker 2 - The pictures are of Wendi Peters and DJ Spoony who appeared on Master Chef with Noel Whelan. "Smashing" was another clue - could have been the sound of breaking glass I guess.

Subs

Goalkeeper - Steve Ogrizovic did take the wicket of Viv Richards in a game when he played for Shropshire

Outfield - Sir Brian Rix essentially dropped his trousers on stage - he was an exponent of British farce and the player was Nick Proschwitz there was a German "Merry Christmas" but the main clue was of course this:

Grendel

Oh yes I forgot one!

Goalkeeper

So the reference of the killer is the guy in may Avatar. The picture of the cup winners was supposed to focus on Grenada and St George is the capital. This is where Alexander Clack committed his murder

Not to be confused with Polish international and Olympic silver medallist Alexander Klak who played in a 10-1 win as a trialist but never was taken on

Grendel

So the winner is RAZZLE DAZZLE DEAN GORDON who got the goalkeeper. I will PM him for choice of charity.

Had a fair few entrants this year and many got 10 or more but he was the only one who managed 2 points for the keeper so he wins

Thanks for taking part and the great donations

As long as I am still here will do a similar one next year!

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

giphy.gif

Great quiz Grendel. I'll ask you to donate to the NSPCC please, hopefully they get the money before the police kick my door in for the various serial killer and spousal murder related searches ive had to do!

steve cooper

Thanks to Grendel for a very entertaining couple of weeks, even if I have torn most of my hair
out that I have left.
Maybe it comes with age, but I must confess to a certain amount of gullibility, I actually thought that we must have at
some point signed a mass murdering right back, and a goalkeeper I had never heard of, who somehow managed
to play international football while serving a life sentence for strangling his wife.
It made Marlon King, Lee Hughes, and Michael McIndoe seem like saints.
I got 10 correct so was worth the effort.
Edit. Very nearly got the goalkeeper, just couldn't make the connection with Alex Clack

wantageskyblue

Great quiz Grendel and congrats to Razzle Dazzle, the only one I didn’t get was the goalkeeper but I don’t feel too bad about that now because how anyone made that connection is beyond me.
I second that. Great quiz again Grendel which helped relieve some of the lockdown boredom. I too was doing lots of searches for wife stranglers, hope Mrs WSB understands.

Congratulations to Razzle Dazzle, great sleuthing to get the GK answer.

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

Thanks to Grendel for a very entertaining couple of weeks, even if I have torn most of my hair
out that I have left.
Maybe it comes with age, but I must confess to a certain amount of gullibility, I actually thought that we must have at
some point signed a mass murdering right back, and a goalkeeper I had never heard of, who somehow managed
to play international football while serving a life sentence for strangling his wife.
It made Marlon King, Lee Hughes, and Michael McIndoe seem like saints.
I got 10 correct so was worth the effort.
Edit. Very nearly got the goalkeeper, just couldn't make the connection with Alex Clack

I only made that once i googled 'murder st george' or similar, got the name i was looking for and happened across a match report of the trial match he played in. I think google was the real winner of the quiz!

Grendel

I only made that once i googled 'murder st george' or similar, got the name i was looking for and happened across a match report of the trial match he played in. I think google was the real winner of the quiz!

I had some vague memory of a polish goalkeeper having a trial at the club and somehow when I googled it both he and the killer came up. I think the Covmad article spelled his name wrong so it worked rather well

Grendel

I am going to get this done a bit earlier this year so hope to to start it at the start of December with a view to completing around the 14th

I have purchased a Tommy Hutchison book from @Irish Sky Blue which (I hope) will be signed to the winner and posted to them at around Christmas

Its a bit different - will involve geography / general knowledge as well I hope if I can get it to work on this new format - I need to get a couple more players to fit the theme

Entry fee and details to follow soon

Irish Sky Blue

I am going to get this done a bit earlier this year so hope to to start it at the start of December with a view to completing around the 14th

I have purchased a Tommy Hutchison book from @Irish Sky Blue which (I hope) will be signed to the winner and posted to them at around Christmas

Its a bit different - will involve geography / general knowledge as well I hope if I can get it to work on this new format - I need to get a couple more players to fit the theme

I have the general signed copies of the book with me now. Tommy is down in Coventry and Warwickshire next month.

On December 7 he is at an evening event at the Nuneaton and Bedworth supporters group at the Bedworth Liberal Club. On December 8 he is the guest at the Diamond Club lunch at the CBS.

On the evening of Dec 8 he is the guest of the Crewe branch of the Man City supporters club. Any Cheshire based fans of the true Sky Blues (that’s us by the way!) can come along to meet him. I will post details of the venue for this in the next few days.

I will be able to get him to sign the book for the winner of the Christmas Quiz. I would doubt that you would have a name by that date?

Despite trying to get the books into the club shop, I haven’t been able to do this yet. Mark Hornby has let me know that the shop is run separately from the club and I should contact them directly. While the manager, Lee is very happy to have them, the supplier for the shop is the guy who needs to give permission and at the moment, I can’t get hold of him.

Therefore if you would like a signed copy of the book the best way to do this and have it delivered to your door is by using the link below.

curly_tom

How does it work? I didn’t quite get my head around the format last year. I might be interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wantageskyblue

Pleased you are doing this again as have really enjoyed it in the last 2 or 3 years. I thought I knew a lot about us (Saw my 1st game in 74/5 )but I found last year’s really challenging - memory not as good as it used to be or perhaps just the massive turnover of players in the last 15 years?

Grendel

Safe to say I’ve been somewhat curtailed in this

I will somehow get this off the ground this week and get done by Christmas

I’ve picked this charity so can people who want to take part please contribute say £2 to it as a minimum

The prize is the Tommy Hutchison book which @Irish Sky Blue can distribute to the winner

Not sure it’s up to my normal standard but it will kick off this week

shmmeee

Adding the direct donation link cos it wasn’t obvious to me:

Also worth noting you have to manually edit the “extra donation” to £0 otherwise you’re giving JustGiving extra cash not the charity.

Have donated £10 cos TBH I’ve enjoyed the previous years but never made a donation:

94D7C96C-7E6E-4C50-9FB4-5288E4F6145C.jpeg

LastGarrison

Out of interest is there any reason it is for Manchester and Cheshire dogs home?

Plenty around here that could do with the support Suki’s Canine Rescue etc.

Although obviously a great cause!

Users who are viewing this thread