Christie back in training (1 Viewer)

Diehard Si

Cyrus Christie just has his 1st full training session. Is good news as I'd thought he was out till xmas.

"@cyruschristie: 1st full training session complete felt good to be back #Road2Recovery nearly complete"

dongonzalos

As long as he gets himself fit before being thrown into the team. Can't go another season where we hear te excuse 'he didnt have a pre season like the rest of the lads.......'

Would rather focus on the positive news that someone is on their way back.
Than a manager's explanation for why a completely different player last season, was picking up knocks and niggles.

Nathccfc

I'd have Clarke at RB and try push Christie into the RM role, can run at people then. Which is what we lack in out squad, they seem to be afraid to try and take people on.

The option of Clarke or Christie at right back - I would guess - is a huge positive in League 1. Both on form, I would start with Clarke. However, in a long and attritional season, I am sure both will get game time at right back (not sure I see either filling in anywhere else - perhaps Clarke at left back if the very worse comes to the very worst).

@richh87

I think it's very different being a full-back who can run at people to actually playing on the wing.

At full-back you naturally get the space to receive the ball and go down the line. In midfield it's much more about clever movement and inter-play with team-mates. Are Hussey and Christie good enough to adapt? Doubt it personally.

PVA

I think it's very different being a full-back who can run at people to actually playing on the wing.

At full-back you naturally get the space to receive the ball and go down the line. In midfield it's much more about clever movement and inter-play with team-mates. Are Hussey and Christie good enough to adapt? Doubt it personally.

I agree.

I think Hussey could do a job at left midfield, as he has decent technique - although he is a little slow. Christie is the opposite, very quick, but I don't think he has the technique to play right midfield. Like you say, when he's got space in front of him that a full back often has, he can just knock it ahead of him and use his pace. But I'm not sure he has the ability or composure to play a neat 1-2, or beat a man with a stepover etc

dongonzalos

Good point, could be a another option for us to consider though. The decisions that come with having the luxury of something that resembles a squad :)

Nathccfc

I'm sure Christie used to actually play further forward as a youngster, don't hold me to that but I'm sure the question was asked to him on twitter once :| if he can be adapted then great stuff :)

Si80

I'm sure Christie used to actually play further forward as a youngster, don't hold me to that but I'm sure the question was asked to him on twitter once :| if he can be adapted then great stuff :)

Used to play CF for Woodlands iirc.

ccfc_Tom

Do our current right mids do that though? baker and bell - not that i've seen (often)

Used to play CF for Woodlands iirc.

No, he was centre midfield for Woodlands. Played centre of defence for Coventry's academy. My mate bangs on about how he converted him to RB at Woodlands and the academy followed suit whenever anyone mentions his name in his presence (and I am duty bound to regurgitate it on here every so often)!

@richh87

Do our current right mids do that though? baker and bell - not that i've seen (often)

We're likely to play the diamond anyway so probably don't need to convert people to wingers, although i'd say Baker and McSheffrey would do a lot of damage at this level.

I see Bell as more suited to a 5 man midfield in the middle. He's got a great range of passing and quality on the ball - but seriously needs to man up defensively if he's going to be trusted anywhere but the tip of the diamond (which he isn't direct enough to play anyway).

torchomatic

Good news indeed. *Great player.

*This means that in my (that's just mine, no one else's) opinion (also just my opinion) think he is a great player - not necessarily the best right-back who has ever played for Coventry City. I reserve the right to continue to use the word "great" as stated in the reason above. I cannot be held responsible for any misinterpretation of my use of the word "great" by other forum members. Thank you.

Last edited:

*This means that I (that's just me) in my opinion (that's just mine) think he is a great player - not necessarily the best right-back who has ever played for Coventry City. I reserve the right to continue to use the word "great" as stated in the reason above. I cannot be held responsible for any misinterpretation of my use of the word "great". Thank you.

What, better than Nilsson? Borrows? I can't believe you think he is City's "best ever player".

@richh87

*This means that in my (that's just mine, no one else's) opinion (that's just mine) think he is a great player - not necessarily the best right-back who has ever played for Coventry City. I reserve the right to continue to use the word "great" as stated in the reason above. I cannot be held responsible for any misinterpretation of my use of the word "great". Thank you.

I think you're a great poster; in that your posts are great. I'm not suggesting you deserve to be in some sort of hall of fame for posters - but that your posts are great. You're a great little poster.

:)

torchomatic

Others will interpret that as me being the best EVER EVER EVER POSTER EVER. Cool.

A "like" coming your way, sunshine.

I think you're a great poster; in that your posts are great. I'm not suggesting you deserve to be in some sort of hall of fame for posters - but that your posts are great. You're a great little poster.

:)

evilc

Great Poster ?, Posts in Pre-season are just about getting the mind fit and gelling with the rest of the forum, I will be reserving my judgement until after 10 post into the new season

skybluejack10

i can't believe everyone prefers clarke to christie!
i though for the majority of last season christie was class!
quicker than clarke, a better tackler than clarke, better in the air than clarke, better on the attack than clarke, more two footed than clarke, less clumsy than clarke. Just an all round better player IMO

torchomatic

I agree, JAck. I've always preferred Christie to Clarke.

Sutty

quicker than clarke, a better tackler than clarke, better in the air than clarke, better on the attack than clarke, more two footed than clarke, less clumsy than clarke. Just an all round better player IMO

Clarke's positional sense is far, far better at this stage. His delivery into the box is better, and he's turned into possibly the best one on one defender at the club.

Eventually I think Christie will be moved back into the centre of defence. Good to have both as options though.

I think Clarke is amongst the best 2 or 3 right backs in the division. Rate him very highly.

@richh87

Clarke really impressed me towards the end of last season. Until then I preferred Christie. At least if one gets sold we've got the other.

glamour76

I have to say, apart from the first month or two, Christie was awful. He was found out of position so many times. Clarke is twice the player. Just my opinion

PVA

The point I've bolded is the only one thats correct IMO, and even that one is debatable.

Christie is poor defensively i think. I have no doubt he will improve, but right now Clarke is much the better option.

skyblueelephant

Christie was good going forward last year but struggles with his positioning at times and his head goes down far too quickly when something goes wrong. Clarke was excellent when he came back from injury last year and is a more complete player than Christie.

At least we have two good options for that position now and hopefully some competition between them will keep them on their toes.

Nonleagueherewecome

all that anyone did was slate clarke last season!
And i would say one of christies strongest points is his crossing!

A few influential or vocal posters on here did (hiya Nick!) : many of us retorted that Clarke was the better player. Honestly, I thought that it was pretty much accepted that Clarke was superior by the end of last season..

Sutty

clarke is useless with his left foot though and you've got to admitt he can't head the ball to save his life!!??

The attributes I want from a full-back are positional sense, the ability to defend one-on-one and the knack of knowing when to go forward and when to stay back. Heading ability is not that important IMO. Also as Christie is naturally a centre back his heading is likely to be much better anyway.

Most young players just coming into the team enjoy a purple patch right at the start of their career, before fading after 10 or so games. We saw this effect with Bigi and Christie last year. Doesn't mean they're bad players, just they need time to develop.

Users who are viewing this thread