Chris Stokes (1 Viewer)

rupert_bear

Have to say what a good player Stokes is turning out to be. Was okay last season but obviously not match fit seems to have sorted that out now and looking an old fashioned barn storming proper full back. Could have scored last night but for a super save from their keeper. Also looks like he will play through knocks and bumps, reminds me a bit like Richard Keogh.

Johnnythespider

Thought he played really well last night and as you say was unlucky not to score

Sky Blue Harry H

Yep

I think he may have the odd struggle against a nippy sort, but he is starting to look a solid player who is making positive strides (literally as well) forward - one of Grendel's better calls ;)

Last edited:

ccfc_Tom

Was quality last night, just shows how far off the fitness levels he was last season really. Him and Jim made a nice partnership and never stopped working (as usual).

Silence_Is_The_Enemy

you can tell he has worked hard to improve his strength and speed in the off season and really looked the part last night seemed to work better with O'brien in left mid then when he had Lameries or Jacobs in front of him

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Pleased how it's working out for him. Said before that he needed a good pre season behind him to allow us to really put him to the test.

Agree he will likely struggle if he comes up against a Lacey winger, but that said, the younger midfield players and Obrien do help him out defensively which helps him a great deal.

Doesn't seem afraid to get stuck in, and go in when it hurts at times

stupot07

How many fullbacks in league one wouldn't struggle against a pacy tricky winger?!

I'm glad for him, seems to have really knuckled down and wants to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

fernandopartridge

How many fullbacks in league one wouldn't struggle against a pacy tricky winger?!

I'm glad for him, seems to have really knuckled down and wants to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Yes, very pleased for him especially after he was written off by many. Said after his debut at Sheff Utd that he didn't look out of place at this level.

Squarks

I really like Stokes and really want him to succeed.

You could always see the difference in effort, attitude and commitment from him. I think spending 5 years in the conference and progressing later shows how committed to being a footballer he is and how much he wants this.

Compare that to say Nouble, Delfouneso, Eccleston - similar ages all spent most of is life thinking he'd made it as a Billy Big Bollocks pro's - no passion or anything really.

Good luck Stokes - live the dream and develop with TM here!

torchomatic

Agree r_b, I liked him from the off and am pleased he's been given a fair crack of the whip by TM. He gets better every game.

Specs WT-R75

I was very impressed with Stokes yesterday. Possibly his best game in the shirt. Always willing to go on the overlap and not afraid to try and pass the ball even though many players would have a shot. Very unlucky not to score - I still don't quite know how the follow-up that hit him on the face didn't go in!

As others have mentioned looks like he is willing to go through the pain barrier for us... there is not alot more you can ask of him.

There was some posts on FB yesterday before the game about how he should be dropped for Haynes... quite amazing really, but the balance of the team is just right with the attacking midfielders + Johnson. Now if there are some injuries and we were forced to play more holding players in midfield then you could make a good argument for Haynes, but right now Stokes has made the position his own.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I'm delighted for him, backed him from the off I usually go for the more wildcard players to succeed & they usually fail on me, but glad he seems to finding his feet & now excelling at this level!

Looks fitter, stronger & confident this is where he should be, good luck to the lad!

skybluetony176

Stokes impressed me last night. When you think where he was this time last year you can't help but admire him. He's taking his opportunity with both hands. Think he started looking tired towards the end of the game compared to everyone else on the pitch but I think that might have had more to do with his work rate compared to everyone else (not that anyone was slacking off) rather than fitness levels.

FRY-CCFC

Pleased how it's working out for him. Said before that he needed a good pre season behind him to allow us to really put him to the test.

Agree he will likely struggle if he comes up against a Lacey winger, but that said, the younger midfield players and Obrien do help him out defensively which helps him a great deal.

Doesn't seem afraid to get stuck in, and go in when it hurts at times

Onyedinma against Millwall?

Sky Blue Pete

Was excellent against Wigan. Think he has gained so much confidence from having mowbrays faith in him. Very few weak links and he's not anywhere near one

Sky Blue Harry H

We've got a bit of a strange balance for the team, in that we've got a fairly big back four with a lot of physical presence but the other 6 outfield players are small and probably weigh less than the back four in total (actually less than Reda !!) Works, though !!!

Gaz71

Totally agree with all the positive posts made above, Mowbray must have seen something in him to make Stokes a priority signing after what he saw last season.
TM just needs to get the right hand side sorted with Willis looking a bit suspect for both there goals last night coming from there left side

stay_up_skyblues

Last time I checked on here RE Chris Stokes we were scraping the barell signing Forest Green reserves. Glad he's making his mark, was obviously a decent player for a league 1 club to take a punt and his reserve status was not down to ability.

Alkhen

Watched him a lot for my local team Forest Green . Really happy he seems to be handling the move up the divisions . Did really well at FGR , won the player of the year there. Goes to prove there are gems to be unearthed, just need insight into the man as well as the player.

kg82

Onyedinma against Millwall?

Who to be fair, was Millwall's best player, but Stokes dealt with him!
Thought he's been solid since he came here. Last night he showed enterprise and ended up being the furthest forward a couple of times! So unlucky not to score as well.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I was very impressed with Stokes yesterday. Possibly his best game in the shirt. Always willing to go on the overlap and not afraid to try and pass the ball even though many players would have a shot. Very unlucky not to score - I still don't quite know how the follow-up that hit him on the face didn't go in!

As others have mentioned looks like he is willing to go through the pain barrier for us... there is not alot more you can ask of him.

There was some posts on FB yesterday before the game about how he should be dropped for Haynes... quite amazing really, but the balance of the team is just right with the attacking midfielders + Johnson. Now if there are some injuries and we were forced to play more holding players in midfield then you could make a good argument for Haynes, but right now Stokes has made the position his own.

People saying that were probably 'friends' with Haynes on FB :D

Houdi

Really pleased to see such a positive reaction to Stokes, I have always felt he could prove a decent player for us. He has without doubt shown a gradual and growing improvement,and now looks a very accomplished full back. From day 1 always liked his desire to get forward and provide an outlet, and fully expect him to bag a goal soon. Indeed his form has maybe highlighted ,perhaps harshly Willis lack of forward threat.

skybluegod

My fave player now, not because Of ability but because you can see what type of guy he is. Thought he was excellent towards end of last season, and has defo been one of our better players so far this season. Best left back we have had in league one imo. And I really hope he continues to improve and impress you can see how long he spends on the training ground, working on his flaws. He deserves every piece of success he gets.

ccfcmustang

Stokes has really impressed me, has made LB position his, without a shadow of a doubt. I would say that our current weak point is Willis at RB. With all the improvement this year, this is where I can see us shipping the most goals from.

rupert_bear

What this proves and why i started this thread is some fans are too quick to judge, a lot on here had him down as u/s and why sign a Forest Green reserve some called him. Well he has shoved that criticism where the sun don't shine and i expect young Willis to do the same. He'll be okay given a bit of time because a full backs main job is to defend and he can do that the rest will come with the type of manager and coaches we now have here, there will be the odd clanger along the way, bit of a one Tuesday night.
Same goes for Ryan Haynes when he gets his chance i expect him to deliver because if Mowbray doesn't think he can do it he won't pick him.

skybluegod

What this proves and why i started this thread is some fans are too quick to judge, a lot on here had him down as u/s and why sign a Forest Green reserve some called him. Well he has shoved that criticism where the sun don't shine and i expect young Willis to do the same. He'll be okay given a bit of time because a full backs main job is to defend and he can do that the rest will come with the type of manager and coaches we now have here, there will be the odd clanger along the way, bit of a one Tuesday night.
Same goes for Ryan Haynes when he gets his chance i expect him to deliver because if Mowbray doesn't think he can do it he won't pick him.

Tbd I think most that slagged him and Mowbray off for his signing, and All the other players which got stick (fleck, JOB, Tudgay) have now stopped posting. Some on here just have to moan. I think most of the people that have replied saw that stokes was decent last season and expected to see him do Well this season, and he has probably done better than expected. And the ones which were wrong have admitted it.
Ofc players will make mistakes, but at the end of the day, that's football. I fully expect us to go on a bad run at some point, but you can see that these players care and that given confidence we are unplayable.

Nick

Administrator

Agreed, there was too much "but he is a forest green reject" stuff going on.

I doubt they had seen him play and the fact he did have a bit of potential but just not the fitness.

Users who are viewing this thread