Transfer Rumour Chris Martin (1 Viewer)

mrtrench

Not keen on this one. I love that we have a young team. Robins knows loads more than me so if it's true it'll be the right thing to do but I'd rather take a chance on someone aged 22 we've never heard of before.

DannyThomas_1981

I haven’t seen him out muscle many defenders have you ? Anyone his own size or bigger he gets “bullied” off the ball easily

I often agree with you cc84 but in this case that's not Godden's game or the system we play. He's not the big lump we launch it forward too to hold the ball up and relieve some pressure.

But Godden is brilliant at running the line on his own, often against 2-3 defenders, making intelligent runs for our midfield playmakers (often making space for others as well) and when he makes space for himself he's a lethal finisher - as he showed in the last 10 games when he was fully fit.

kg82

I often agree with you cc84 but in this case that's not Godden's game or the system we play. He's not the big lump we launch it forward too to hold the ball up and relieve some pressure.

But Godden is brilliant at running the line on his own, often against 2-3 defenders, making intelligent runs for our midfield playmakers (often making space for others as well) and when he makes space for himself he's a lethal finisher - as he showed in the last 10 games when he was fully fit.
Exactly. This argument about Godden getting outmuscled and bullied is quite a strange one.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Isolated was the complaint I heard most about Godden last year. And that’s hardly his fault.

He was just ahead of the curve regarding Coronavirus. If he's going to be isolated I think he needs to be number 19, so he can be Cov ID:19. Although at the moment that's Ponti's number and he's pretty well isolated from everyone.

RingoCCFC

We don't NEED a prolific goal scorer ofcourse it would be ideal, but Chaplin for Barnsley scored more than any Cardiff player. Looks where both teams finished. We need players like Ohare shipley Allen, Hilsner to all contribute and Godden and whoever our other striker we sign to do so also. If we can keep clean sheets then we instantly give ourselves a chance.
We aren't going to afford a proven 20goal championship striker. It will either be someone young, unproven and could surprise or someone who is experienced but who stats wise might not look prolific.
A host of championship clubs will be after Chris Martin I certainly would not turn my nose up at him at all.

I’ve basically said ten times over that I believe the other players are creative and thus can score goals. Never once have I said its the be all end all and I did point out on several comments on this thread that we couldn’t afford a decent one!

Barnsley is hardly a good comparison though no offence intended especially Connor Chaplain? The guys played twice the amount of games but has scored 1 goal more than Brewster? That doesn’t make him a prolific striker in my eyes that makes him a bang average one 0.25 goals a game in 44 appearances with his 11 to 0.50 at Brewsters 10 goals to 20 appearances.

We all know his talent and I’d not rate him over Godden it’s safe to say.

I know we can’t afford one or quality and that it’s not the be all end all but we’ve got so many creative and ‘feeders’ in midfield now and most of them can easily net them as we’ve seen but we were hardly known for being a scoring side being tied second lowest out the top nine. I’m not saying that wins games either otherwise we wouldn’t be where we are today. I just think that extra one goal a game could make it or break it in a competitive league like this. I rate Godden and I feel like with the reinforcements he will be getting played a lot of sitters this season and the other boys will contribute but just to solidify it I’d have liked to ‘dreamingly’ see an addition come through as we’ve all seen from our prior league what one or two good forwards can do... if the league didn’t go to the PPG method it’s safe to was Wycombe wouldn’t be here and the team with the prolific offensive players would.

Again not knocking Godden but I Just personally don’t think Biamou or Baka would be ‘solid’ for this league at this current time. (Not knocking them either love both their character and their contributions up to now)

cooperskyblue

Barnsley is hardly a good comparison though no offence intended especially Connor Chaplain? The guys played twice the amount of games but has scored 1 goal more than Brewster? That doesn’t make him a prolific striker in my eyes that makes him a bang average one 0.25 goals a game in 44 appearances with his 11 to 0.50 at Brewsters 10 goals to 20 appearances.

Not for one minute am I saying Chaplin is or was prolific, my point is that he, for a team that finished 3rd bottom scored more goals than any Cardiff City player who finished 5th, they didn't have a player get more than 10. You can say the same for Jutkiewicz and Birmingham, Reading, Sheff Wed, Hull City, Luton, Millwall, QPR they all had double figure goalscorers. There is the top 2 or 3 strikers with 20+ goals in the league and then a lot around the 13-17 mark. So I think in an ideal world you, me all of us would want a proven goalscorer at this level and as you say we won't be able to afford one, but it isn't unreasonable to think that if we can get our attacking midfielders around 7/8/9 goals each that we can't do as well as if we had 1 guy get 17 or 18. I agree I think Godden can definitely do well but we need 5 or 6 players getting in on the act.

RingoCCFC

Not for one minute am I saying Chaplin is or was prolific, my point is that he, for a team that finished 3rd bottom scored more goals than any Cardiff City player who finished 5th, they didn't have a player get more than 10. You can say the same for Jutkiewicz and Birmingham, Reading, Sheff Wed, Hull City, Luton, Millwall, QPR they all had double figure goalscorers. There is the top 2 or 3 strikers with 20+ goals in the league and then a lot around the 13-17 mark. So I think in an ideal world you, me all of us would want a proven goalscorer at this level and as you say we won't be able to afford one, but it isn't unreasonable to think that if we can get our attacking midfielders around 7/8/9 goals each that we can't do as well as if we had 1 guy get 17 or 18. I agree I think Godden can definitely do well but we need 5 or 6 players getting in on the act.

I think the key difference is though that we’ve got actual talented players, Blues looked dismal in all the games I seen them play and I watched a few as my mate fave me his player login info as I can’t bare watching MLS shite in Canada haha! Even they all said they’ve been dire, that’s where I think we can flourish in the scoring department and I totally agree we want everyone to play a part in that and Godden did do good last season but I’m just worried for if he gets injured etc I can’t see Baka and Biamou filling that void consistently enough at current with the quality in this league. Like I said though I think they’ve both got potential and I could be truthfully wrong as look at Biamou and some of the goals him and Baka have put in... just feel as you know that step up for us is like a Villa going into the Champions league almost.

Nonleagueherewecome

Has he signed yet ?

nobody said it would be easy, but no one thought it would be this hard....
Probably just his agent stirring things up. A spider's web and we're caught in the middle...

covcity4life

Isolated was the complaint I heard most about Godden last year. And that’s hardly his fault.
Let's not absolve him of all fault

Some of it is tactics. Some of it is him not showing for ball or lack of hold up play. Not asking him to be lukaku but he can improve his game. Championship will require that!

SeaSeeEffCee

Godden does definitely need to get involved in play a bit more next season, just having a brief flick through WhoScored to see his stats and while they unfortunately don't have an 'Average Touches' stat I took a quick look at his pass stats compared to the strikers from some similar teams.

Matt Godden - AvgPass per 90: 13.4
Ivan Toney - AvgPass per 90: 21.4
James Collins - AvgPass per 90: 20
Conor Chaplin - AvgPass per 90: 22.1
Lukas Jutkiewicz - AvgPass per 90: 21.8
Karlan Grant - AvgPass per 90: 24

They only strikers from the lower end of the Championship I could find with lower or similar to Godden were Middlesbrough and Stoke, who both play quite attritional stuff. Seeing as we're more of a possession based team we really should be looking for our striker to be getting a bit more involved in the build up play.

Oh yeah, for reference Chris Martin is at 20.7.

skyblueelephant76

Godden does definitely need to get involved in play a bit more next season, just having a brief flick through WhoScored to see his stats and while they unfortunately don't have an 'Average Touches' stat I took a quick look at his pass stats compared to the strikers from some similar teams.

Matt Godden - AvgPass per 90: 13.4
Ivan Toney - AvgPass per 90: 21.4
James Collins - AvgPass per 90: 20
Conor Chaplin - AvgPass per 90: 22.1
Lukas Jutkiewicz - AvgPass per 90: 21.8
Karlan Grant - AvgPass per 90: 24

They only strikers from the lower end of the Championship I could find with lower or similar to Godden were Middlesbrough and Stoke, who both play quite attritional stuff. Seeing as we're more of a possession based team we really should be looking for our striker to be getting a bit more involved in the build up play.

Oh yeah, for reference Chris Martin is at 20.7.
When you play with one upfront and four central midfield players the last thing you want is your forward dropping deep to get involved in the build up play. His job is making space for others and finding it himself, something he did brilliantly last season.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

When you play with one upfront and four central midfield players the last thing you want is your forward dropping deep to get involved in the build up play. His job is making space for others and finding it himself, something he did brilliantly last season.

We're quite rare in that we play two ACM's who do that job. If Godden is dropping deep there's no-one getting further forward to get into goalscoring positions. Like the old little and large combo up front. Big guy would go short and compete, little guy would run on for flick ons etc

Maybe we need to work a bit on those front three maybe being a bit more interchangeable, so Godden etc can come deep while one of the ACM's breaks beyond him - Shipley then O'Hare would be the most likely candidates in that respect although maybe Allen could too. Just vary it up so opposition defences can't be certain where the attacking threat is coming from.

Users who are viewing this thread