Chris Kirkland anyone? (1 Viewer)

The Philosopher

Chris Kirkland released by SWFC (who have another former keeper of ours)

He's 34 - not too old for a Goalie.

Is he the answer? - probably earned a few quid over his career and through injury and being a back-up at big clubs and so on hasn't played as much as he should.

Perhaps he would take a low wage to play regularly.

Thoughts?

TheUKGryphon

2 or 3 years ago I'd have said yes, let's have him back. Not now. While we're at it, what's Peter Shilton doing these days?

ajsccfc

It's not the age so much as the conditioning that's the concern, he's had a few seasons playing regularly but otherwise seems to be made of porcelain held together with blu-tak.

ajsccfc

Lee Burge will be nr 1 to start this season, Mowbray has already made that clear. Kirkland will never sign a contract as nr 2.....

I'd read that as more Mowbray trying to gee Burge up than a statement of fact, if a better realistic candidate appeared for first choice keeper I don't think he'd pass it up.

kg82

I'd read that as more Mowbray trying to gee Burge up than a statement of fact, if a better realistic candidate appeared for first choice keeper I don't think he'd pass it up.

Exactly how I read it. More to give him confidence.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I think Burge deserves the first dozen games as number 1, if things aren't going well & he does need a break there is more than enough keepers available on loan whether it be for a month or longer.

stupot07

I think Burge deserves the first dozen games as number 1, if things aren't going well & he does need a break there is more than enough keepers available on loan whether it be for a month or longer.

Agreed. Would rather we spent wages elsewhere. Kirkland would command decent wages, would probably come in as top earner, thought he was on trial at Bolton?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Kingokings204

We do need an experienced keeper no doubts even just to back up. Mowbray has said burge is the number one and he wants a very cheap experienced goalie as number 2 when the right one comes along. The reason for this he says he wants his budget kept free for strikers etc and if burge is good enough which lets be fair he does look decent at this's level anyway then why would be pay all that money for a Murphy or Kirkland? Yes they are both good keepers but so is burge. I would rather spend a bit more on 2 quality strikers and 1 winger slash attacker.

stupot07

What's Kirklands injury record like the last couple of seasons?

I don't think it's too bad, didn't play much last season due to being number 2 behind Westwood but I think he played the majority of the previous two seasons.

To be honest, it's immaterial, TM has said Burge is number 1 as he wants to spend the money elsewhere, all this banging on about Kirkland/Murphy/[experienced keeper], I just fuelling the anti-Burge movement. I can see some booing starting if he makes a few early mistake, we love a scapegoat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Nick

Administrator
I don't think it's too bad, didn't play much last season due to being number 2 behind Westwood but I think he played the majority of the previous two seasons.

To be honest, it's immaterial, TM has said Burge is number 1 as he wants to spend the money elsewhere, all this banging on about Kirkland/Murphy/[experienced keeper], I just fuelling the anti-Burge movement. I can see some booing starting if he makes a few early mistake, we love a scapegoat.

I don't boo players, but one of the closest I have been is sitting and watching him kick the ball straight out of play all the time :(

rupert_bear

Bradford are after Joe Murphy.

Would take him back in a flash
Think he would jump at the chance to come back too, but TM has young Burge as number one and fair play to him for that decision, imo the kid deserves his chance in what will be a totally different team

rupert_bear

Think he would jump at the chance to come back too, but TM has young Burge as number one and fair play to him for that decision, imo the kid deserves his chance in what will be a totally different team
Don't think kicking was Murphy's strongest point either. I judge goalkeepers on how they perform in the 6 yard area.

hamil99

Facebook User
Burge will Have much better protection ahead of him with ricketts and (hopefully) Reda. I Think the kid deserves a chance, and as mentioned before we need to spend the £'s wisely. With the additions we have already made, the money needs to be spent upfront!

Nick

Administrator
Don't think kicking was Murphy's strongest point either. I judge goalkeepers on how they perform in the 6 yard area.

I agree, like when they move out of the way of free kicks or don't shout loud enough to defenders and get muddled up :( It is all stuff he may well grow out of and I hope he does, but let him make those mistakes on loan in League 2 for a bit rather than with us.

S

SkyBlue Baker96

Burge played well under Mowbray at the back end of the season, i thought he commanded his box well for crosses/corners etc and made a good few saves which all in all kept us up.

Cobi Jones's Dreads

Kirkland now on trial at Bury, they've also signed Danny Pugh today!

covcity4life

TM obviously thinks burge can do a job so good luck to him

but lets not forget how poor he was vs crewe in last home game, that could have got us relegated.

he is not riding some awesome wave of form.

rupert_bear

TM obviously thinks burge can do a job so good luck to him

but lets not forget how poor he was vs crewe in last home game, that could have got us relegated.

he is not riding some awesome wave of form.
The whole team were hopeless that day but for some reason Burge gets singled out

covcity4life

The whole team were hopeless that day but for some reason Burge gets singled out

because i have saved better shots than their first goal in 5 a side!

and he let a cross loop over him whilst rooted to his line for the 3rd i think it was.

oh wait didnt he cotnribute to all 3 conded goals actually? 1 terrible punch and then he lay on floor whilst crewe carried on and scored. very slow to get back up and he wasnt injured.

oh my now im worried again.

ccfc_Tom

Would have liked kirkland but the improvements burge made from the worcester game onwards were massive. Up to and including that game he was shocking. I have confidence he'll make more progress fast and could be a great keeper for this level. Some of the saves he made last season were westwood standard.

Grendel

Would have liked kirkland but the improvements burge made from the worcester game onwards were massive. Up to and including that game he was shocking. I have confidence he'll make more progress fast and could be a great keeper for this level. Some of the saves he made last season were westwood standard.

Sorry that's really not true.

skybluepm2

Tim Westwood?

Hobo

I think it comes down to how Mowbrey has divided his budget around the needs of the squad. He will give Burge the chance knowing he will be able to get a good standard of keeper on a loan if required.

Users who are viewing this thread