Childhood memories of CCFC (1 Viewer)

AStonesThrow

I’ve been thinking back to my early memories of supporting Cov lately, based on the ‘what made you a CCFC supporter thread’. Early days I didn’t get to see Cov play very often, only when my grandad or uncle couldn’t go I used to use their season ticket. A few memories through the years growing up with CCFC...

Turning up for my Sunday league awards evening to find out that my ‘hero’ (I was young) Gary McSheffrey was handing out the awards

Ian Walker in goal for the opposition (not sure who it would have been), every time he took a goal kick, the fans behind him were shouting ‘You fat b@$tard’ and at one point he took his goal kick, turned round to our fans and patted his belly. No idea why this stuck in my head, but I know I was young and found it hilarious.

I think it was David Bell (could have been McIndoe?) scoring from dead far out and practically on the touch line after beating the opposition keeper (possibly Andy Marshall?) to the ball. I could be getting two memories merging here though in terms of the keeper.

Michael Mifsud being possibly my favourite ever CCFC player, but getting sent off after 2 minutes against West Brom at home after snapping their right back in mid air.

Playing Bristol City in the cup, losing 3-2 I believe. Prominent one in my memory, one of very few games I got to attend with both my uncle and grandad. Walking over the green bridge near the gas works up to the ground, some little lad rushed past my grandad, who then lost his footing in the guttering on the side. Fell over, cracked his head and spent the first 20 minutes with the St Johns lads. Unfortunately, soon after my grandad got bowel cancer, which he beat then ended up being beat by Lymphoma sadly, which meant this was the last game he ever attended I believe.

Blackburn away in the cup. My uncle was going through a phase of taking me to away games and this was one of my first. Result was a draw, I think Gael Givet scored one of theirs, possibly Roque Santa Cruz the other. I remember the atmosphere being amazing all the way through, and me being chuffed as I got Gunnarssons goal captured on video on my phone.
Some of the other away games my uncle took me to during this period were Derby (was very disappointed with a quiet non-atmosphere for such a decent ground), West Brom (was quite a calm one as well from memory), Nottingham Forest and Sheffield Wednesday. The latter still sticks out in my mind as I’d never been ‘up north’ and so when my uncle bought me chips with curry sauce and the server asked if I wanted ‘scraps’, I felt like I’d discovered gold.

Vague memories of a Paul Williams screamer?

Our cup run, resulting in a home tie against Chelsea. Seeing the Ricoh full(ish), Leon Best masks everywhere and Chelsea’s centre backs linking up to score their second goal.

That’s just a few anyway, would be good to hear your memories of CCFC from your childhoods

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
My memories, (and a few others on here) go back 56 years. Saw my first game at Highfield Rd in 1963 (vs Huddersfield) I believe the then Prime Minister, Harold Wilson was at the game, him being a huge Huddersfield fan. Many other memories - far too many to recall - but the obvious one that sticks in my mind was the game against Wolves, which stood as a record crowd. More there unaccounted for, due to at least a couple of hundred that had climbed up on to the floodlight framing! I was sat on the white wall at the Spion Kop end, but due to the massive crowd and safety in mind, all us younger ones were allowed to sit on the actual touchline when the game started!
CCFC vs Wolves.jpg
Cna9V6wXgAA2Ifo.jpg

Last edited:

Kneeza

I was certainly at the Hudds game that Harold Wilson attended, but I thought it was a year or so later. However, I'll take your word for it HH.

Terry_dactyl

My memories, (and a few others on here) go back 56 years. Saw my first game at Highfield Rd in 1963 (vs Huddersfield) I believe the then Prime Minister, Harold Wilson was at the game, him being a huge Huddersfield fan. Many other memories - far too many to recall - but the obvious one that sticks in my mind was the game against Wolves, which stood as a record crowd. More there unaccounted for, due to at least a couple of hundred that had climbed up on to the floodlight framing! I was sat on the white wall at the Spion Kop end, but due to the massive crowd and safety in mind, all us younger ones were allowed to sit on the actual touchline when the game started!
View attachment 14946
View attachment 14947
Love those pics. Can you imagine fans being allowed to do any of the now?!
I’ve got photo blown up and framed from the Portsmouth Evening News, of a Pompey crowd in the early 50s. Bang smack in the middle, as clear anything, are my grandad, great grandad, and great uncle. Most people are wearing suits!
Shame about the Pompey aspect.

Brighton Sky Blue

Only midweek PL game I went to was a 1-0 win over Everton, my memories were pretty hazy but I remember saying it was bad for Everton because Liverpool won as well. Very insightful

Houchens Head

I was certainly at the Hudds game that Harold Wilson attended, but I thought it was a year or so later. However, I'll take your word for it HH.
I bow to your memory knowledge, Kneeza! I now think it was '64. I'd been brought up in a Convent in Birmingham since I was 5 years old and came back to Coventry in Dec '63, so yes, you are quite right. 1964 it was! (I've been asleep since then! :emoji_smile: )

Covstu

My cousin got me in to city, mum and dad weren’t interested in football and the rest of my family are Rangers fans. He used to take my older brother but got sick of him asking for everything, he took me once to spurs away and I didn’t ask for a thing all day just amazed at the whole day, the ground and atmosphere. Hooked ever since

Houchens Head

Love those pics. Can you imagine fans being allowed to do any of the now?!
I’ve got photo blown up and framed from the Portsmouth Evening News, of a Pompey crowd in the early 50s. Bang smack in the middle, as clear anything, are my grandad, great grandad, and great uncle. Most people are wearing suits!
Shame about the Pompey aspect.
A similar story Terry D. When I was at Ullathorne in 1964 - 68, in the school library, we had just received a new stock of books, among which was the latest Encyclopedia Britannica volumes. Because dinner time was rained off, we had to spend the time in the library, and after a while there was a commotion and all the lads came over to me with one of the volumes of the E.B. "Your photo's in here!" I was told. Not believing them, I took a look and there under the section "Association Football", was a full page, black and white close up of me at Highfield Rd! I've since traced that edition but the cost ain't worth it just to have my ugly mug in a big book!

Kneeza

I bow to your memory knowledge, Kneeza! I now think it was '64. I'd been brought up in a Convent in Birmingham since I was 5 years old and came back to Coventry in Dec '63, so yes, you are quite right. 1964 it was! (I've been asleep since then! :emoji_smile: )
It kinda sticks in the memory, although I wasn't totally sure of the year. It was one of the first games I attended with my dad though.

Terry_dactyl

A similar story Terry D. When I was at Ullathorne in 1964 - 68, in the school library, we had just received a new stock of books, among which was the latest Encyclopedia Britannica volumes. Because dinner time was rained off, we had to spend the time in the library, and after a while there was a commotion and all the lads came over to me with one of the volumes of the E.B. "Your photo's in here!" I was told. Not believing them, I took a look and there under the section "Association Football", was a full page, black and white close up of me at Highfield Rd! I've since traced that edition but the cost ain't worth it just to have my ugly mug in a big book!
That’s fantastic! I’m also impressed that the EB remained in the school library. As a former Finham Park pupil clearly not all of the rumours we heard about Ullathorne were true!

Houchens Head

That’s fantastic! I’m also impressed that the EB remained in the school library. As a former Finham Park pupil clearly not all of the rumours we heard about Ullathorne were true!
LOL! They probably were true! It was a really heavy and hard school. I was caned just about on a daily basis (no exaggeration!), either for being late, not bothering with homework, smoking, wagging lessons etc. I had a reputation as the school rebel! Not that I wanted that label! I remember one time, the whole school had witnessed a caning from the playground area. The teacher was an evil bastard and was hammering the cane down onto a lad for smoking. We could all see into the classroom as it happened. Anyway, a shout went up "Walkout!" and just about the whole school made their way to the school gates and buggered off! I know it made the Telegraph at the time but I can't recall the year.

Cov kid 55

I remember the game against Huddersfield well, it was in 1965, near Christmas. Harold Wilson was introduced to the crowd before the game. They were top of the league at the time, and beat us 3-0. They then fell away in the second half of the season and failed to achieve promotion, Man City won the league. We all know what happened in the season after this one.....

Houchens Head

I remember the game against Huddersfield well, it was in 1965, near Christmas. Harold Wilson was introduced to the crowd before the game. They were top of the league at the time, and beat us 3-0. They then fell away in the second half of the season and failed to achieve promotion, Man City won the league. We all know what happened in the season after this one.....
That may well have happened, but the game I'm talking about was played on Oct 3rd 1964. Darlin' Harold was there. Huddersfield won 3 - 2. I know this was the game, because I had been recently transferred from a Birmingham convent to a Kid's home called The Grange in Keresley. Mr Langley, the home manager was a City nut and took us kids in a mini-bus to the game. I was only at the Grange until June 1965 and didn't go up the City until the following year. Yes, I agree Huddersfield won again, 3 - 0, on December 11th 1965, but the game I'm on about was the 1964 one. Our two goals came from Ron Farmer and a George Curtis penalty.

ajsccfc

In the summer holidays in the mid 90s they'd leave a lot of doors open at Highfield Road I assume to let people buying season tickets in to pick their seats, so plenty of times we got to just walk in and hang about in the stands, the only time we got told off was when one kid went onto the pitch and threw himself about in the six yard box as the surface wasn't the best there.

fernandopartridge

In the summer holidays in the mid 90s they'd leave a lot of doors open at Highfield Road I assume to let people buying season tickets in to pick their seats, so plenty of times we got to just walk in and hang about in the stands, the only time we got told off was when one kid went onto the pitch and threw himself about in the six yard box as the surface wasn't the best there.

Yeah, quite often went to the pre season open days up there as well. I remember going to one the season the East Stand opened and got to have a look around the executive boxes etc

Nick

Administrator
I remember going to Gillingham away in the cup with my parents and brother as a family treat / birthday present. It was fucking freezing.

Earliest is strangely in a pub in Gosford street by the army place having a panda pop, no idea what match it was though!

ajsccfc

I don't know if it was always the case or I just saw it a few times and it became true, but the corner of Thackhall Street and Swan Lane on the side the Mercers would have been always seemed to be the designated toilet for the police horses. Big mounds of horse shit right by the kerb, lovely.

Voice_of_Reason

As a 10 year old in 1952 catching the bus from Balsall Common and walking to Highfield Road from Pool Meadow. In those days there were men selling Rosettes and button badges with the players photo. Seeing my first game, I think it was v Southend. Peter Taylor was in goal that day. Standing up against the wall on Spion Cop... the players seemed like giants to this 10 years old ! Some of my favourites in those days were Noel Simpson, Martin McDonnell, Gordon Nutt, Eddy Brown and loads more too numerous to mention. I loved the kit, broad blue and white stripes... those were the days.

Houchens Head

I remember going to Gillingham away in the cup with my parents and brother as a family treat / birthday present. It was fucking freezing.

Earliest is strangely in a pub in Gosford street by the army place having a panda pop, no idea what match it was though!
@Nick, was the Gillingham away game on a Tuesday night? I remember going down there after work one Tuesday and it was a League Cup game. 1996. My mate had asked another two of his mates to join us, so there was four of us, beefy blokes, in a bloody Fiat Cinquecento! Two doors and I was sat in the back. All the way to Gillingham. With my knees into my chest. Worst journey ever. My mate got lost somewhere around the M25, but we made it in time. Only drew 2 - 2 and the beat us 1 - 0 in the replay at HR. :emoji_rage:
But I still love the City!

oscillatewildly

My first three games were end of season 1974/75, 1975/76 and 1976/77. Things started picking up a little 1977/78 and full on 1978/79 onwards.
Those first three games were balmy spring afternoons/evening. It was intoxicating - the sheer excitement of a rare visit to the match - I took everything in and didn't want it to end.
Me and my younger brothers amusement as Dad chose the route back to the car after the game - "We won't go that way, cos that's where the trouble will be". We would turn a corner and be met with a ruck of flailing flares and scarves!

SkyBlueSoul

My first general memory of CCFC is probably a mix of many times, sat on a booster seat in the back of the car (about 3 years old) bored out of my mind while my Dad and brother listened to the radio commentary. Used to absolutely hate it! Got into football a couple of years after that and it started to make sense. First game was v Middlesbrough at HR in 1996 as a 5 year old, won 3-0 but I barely remember a thing. Just the general feeling of being there and sitting in the north stand.

First actual memory of a game was the 3-2 v Arsenal in 1999. I remember snippets, but mostly asking my Dad why people around us were clapping when Suker scored late on and him having to explain it was in appreciation of how good a goal it was (I still didn't understand).

Edit: Vividly remember us beating Watford 4-0 at home, just had a look and that was a couple of months before the Arsenal game

Last edited:

DannyThomas_1981

My memories are a little different.

Started going with my Grandad in the early 80s; vivid recollections of leaving the game '10 minutes early to avoid the traffic.' Obviously looking back the only intention was to avoid the full on violence outside the ground.

Never worked. It seemed that most of the hooligans of that era had the same idea to leave 10 minutes early; as we invariably walked into full scale battles and charging police horses.

The weird thing was that I was too young to be even scared by it all kicking off; it was just the thing that happened every week as we were walking away from the football. Mass fights and charging horses - all part of the early 80s HR experience!

tisza

Started mid 70s.
Strongest memories are the night games.
You could see the floodlights on, you could smell the boiled onions from the hotdog barrows from seemingly miles away and there's always that special hum from the crowd as you got closer that seems more pronounced for night games.

fernandopartridge

Blokes shouting things like "pillock" at players

The smell of cigarettes, cigars or pipes

The inaudible mumble of Jim Twynham if we conceded a late goal at home

The programme seller shouting out "Programmes!"

Tartan Specials

View attachment 14946
View attachment 14947

Tartan Specials

Was getting a lift over for kids ever a thing in England? In Scotland up until the 80's most youngsters were lifted over the turnstiles by an adult to avoid paying in. If it happened at the Wolves promotion game it makes you wonder what the real attendance actually was?

Grendel

Blokes shouting things like "pillock" at players

The smell of cigarettes, cigars or pipes

The inaudible mumble of Jim Twynham if we conceded a late goal at home

The programme seller shouting out "Programmes!"

I can’t remember Jim Twynhams name on here

Johhny Blue

My first general memory of CCFC is probably a mix of many times, sat on a booster seat in the back of the car (about 3 years old) bored out of my mind while my Dad and brother listened to the radio commentary. Used to absolutely hate it! Got into football a couple of years after that and it started to make sense. First game was v Middlesbrough at HR in 1996 as a 5 year old, won 3-0 but I barely remember a thing. Just the general feeling of being there and sitting in the north stand.

First actual memory of a game was the 3-2 v Arsenal in 1999. I remember snippets, but mostly asking my Dad why people around us were clapping when Suker scored late on and him having to explain it was in appreciation of how good a goal it was (I still didn't understand).

Edit: Vividly remember us beating Watford 4-0 at home, just had a look and that was a couple of months before the Arsenal game
I arrived from Canada the day of that game and arrived at H.R. at half time. Had to bribe a gateman to let me jump the turnstile. Huckerby scored (With his head) just before H.T. and the third was a penalty

Johhny Blue

That may well have happened, but the game I'm talking about was played on Oct 3rd 1964. Darlin' Harold was there. Huddersfield won 3 - 2. I know this was the game, because I had been recently transferred from a Birmingham convent to a Kid's home called The Grange in Keresley. Mr Langley, the home manager was a City nut and took us kids in a mini-bus to the game. I was only at the Grange until June 1965 and didn't go up the City until the following year. Yes, I agree Huddersfield won again, 3 - 0, on December 11th 1965, but the game I'm on about was the 1964 one. Our two goals came from Ron Farmer and a George Curtis penalty.
Anyone know why Farmer didn't take the pen?

Johhny Blue

LOL! They probably were true! It was a really heavy and hard school. I was caned just about on a daily basis (no exaggeration!), either for being late, not bothering with homework, smoking, wagging lessons etc. I had a reputation as the school rebel! Not that I wanted that label! I remember one time, the whole school had witnessed a caning from the playground area. The teacher was an evil bastard and was hammering the cane down onto a lad for smoking. We could all see into the classroom as it happened. Anyway, a shout went up "Walkout!" and just about the whole school made their way to the school gates and buggered off! I know it made the Telegraph at the time but I can't recall the year.
There was a walkout at Ullathorne a little later than that 69? 70? That made it onto the T.V. news

Grendel

Users who are viewing this thread