Chess (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

A mate of mine loves Chess but to be honest it looks too difficult for me, plus you need loads of patience which I haven't got. Can anybody tell me why this game/sport is so popular ?

derbyskyblue

brilliant game when you get into it, and it will teach you patience young man, look on you tube for tips on how to play, opening moves and so on, can be very addtictive. I play on line against anyone in the world. Try it.

bringbackrattles

brilliant game when you get into it, and it will teach you patience young man, look on you tube for tips on how to play, opening moves and so on, can be very addtictive. I play on line against anyone in the world. Try it.
My mate told me that it has been used to calm down delinquents abroad and they found it worked.
There's also chess/boxing that's popular where you spar for one round then play a few minutes of chess,that's more for me then !

shmmeee

[video=youtube;43Wcbd0dJpQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43Wcbd0dJpQ[/video]
Awesome!

Never had the patience for chess. I like games I can play "in the moment" not thinking several moves ahead.

SlowerThanPlatt

Great game. Unfortunately, haven't played in ages. Must make amends. I used to share a house with a mate who taught chess. And, you thought football was competitive! Really long marathon games were the order of the day. Great stuff.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
You really should learn it! Brilliant game! Also Othello. I was bloody good at that! I shared a flat about 25 years ago with the Othello world champion! He taught me how to play. I never beat him though!

Sky Blue Pete

Taught my 6 year old lad and he loves it. He has done a few tournaments and his face when he wins games is great. It's great as his logic kicks in and he improves his understanding naturally

Last edited:

bringbackrattles

Lennox Lewis the ex boxing champion is a top chess player and he said the two sports are similar.
So if your losing at chess just chin your opponent,I like the sound of that !

TheRoyalScam

Chess - the ultimate strategy game - attack, defence, tactics, sacrifices, tension, gambits - personally I prefer a Nimzowitsch defence and a war of attrition:)

LastGarrison

I play every day on a site called Gameknot.com.

If anyone fancies a game, PM me and I'll give you my user name! Please note that I sometimes play when drunk which is not a good idea.......

J

Jack Griffin

I play every day on a site called Gameknot.com.

If anyone fancies a game, PM me and I'll give you my user name! Please note that I sometimes play when drunk which is not a good idea.......

It is for anyone who wants to play you.

bringbackrattles

A bloke in the pub on Saturday said Draughts is a skillful game but everyone laughed and said it's a simple game.
I always had it down as a poor mans chess ?

Covstu

Love playing chess, really tactical game. Its easy to pick up in my opinion but you develop your knowledge and tactics as you play more and more. I brought a great set from Hong Kong years ago but with two small kids its not easy to keep out!

Games can take a while but having said that so does Monopoly!! Also played shot chess with my old house mate when we were at uni, we both ended up passed out on the floor near the end of the game!!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I played as a kid at school but can't even remember how to play now :(

It'll come back to you Nick. It's a great game. I'm not really very good (don't play often enough!) but I still love a game now and again. My missus is brilliant at it. She plays against the computer and rarely loses!

Johnnythespider

I went to chess club at school once, one of my mates who fancied himself as a bit of a kasparov challenged me to a game. To cut a short story shorter I beat him in 3 moves. The look on his face was priceless, never did tell him it was a complete fluke, never played him again either, despite him begging, I wonder if he still remembers it, I do hope so.

Users who are viewing this thread