Chelsea (1 Viewer)

Grendel

They don't, they can get the coach instead?

Why should they have to? Its bonkers. Why should they have to take a coach or pay for a flight when they have always had flights paid for them? How is this even a thing? Its actually really bizarre.

Nick

Administrator
Why should they have to? Its bonkers. Why should they have to take a coach or pay for a flight when they have always had flights paid for them? How is this even a thing? Its actually really bizarre.

Because their boss has had his assets frozen for being a dodgy Russian fella.

I agree with the Newcastle point too, hence I'd say the same about them.

I'm sure if they really wanted to they could get a good lawyer to get them out of their contract there to sign for somebody else in the summer?

Grendel

I'm sure if they really wanted to they could get a good lawyer to get them out of their contract there to sign for somebody else in the summer?

Well if we take this to the ultimate conclusion then as the dodgy fella is funding cash flow every month the club will cease to exist by the end of next month. That means everyone other than the players lose their jobs and are thrown on the dole - I assume the same would instantly apply to the womens team as well. So that is well over a hundred people unemployed through no fault of their own

Grendel

Welcome to every day life in the real world.

The club won't cease to exist. It might have to have a big clearout though.

Under the current government licence it will go into liquidation next month

SBT

There’s no way the government is going to drive Chelsea FC out of business, and the terms of its special license are already far more generous than they need to be in terms of allowing the team to continue operations.

Grendel

There’s no way the government is going to drive Chelsea FC out of business, and the terms of its special license are already far more generous than they need to be in terms of allowing the team to continue operations.

Do you think freezing if assets per se without as far as I can see an act of parliament to permit it a good thing?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

And its absurd to make the players take a bus trip. Its ridiculous when I am sure the Newcastle players flew down to London - at least this time they didn't hack a journalist to pieces while murdering him
The players could always cover the plane tickets out of their own pocket if it matters that much to them.

SBT

Do you think freezing if assets per se without as far as I can see an act of parliament to permit it a good thing?

Well I don’t think it’s as straightforward as ‘it’s always a good thing/bad thing’, but I think there’s a clear case to be made for taking some form of action against someone accused of helping to commit war crimes, yes.

I also don’t believe the Treasury is acting outside its remit, but clearly if it had to wait for an act of parliament before it took any kind of enforcement action then it would be completely powerless.

Grendel

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Well if we take this to the ultimate conclusion then as the dodgy fella is funding cash flow every month the club will cease to exist by the end of next month. That means everyone other than the players lose their jobs and are thrown on the dole - I assume the same would instantly apply to the womens team as well. So that is well over a hundred people unemployed through no fault of their own
This kind of shit happens everyday. Businesses go under and often the people least at fault are the ones most affected. Of course, I don't want to see those in the lower paid roles out of work, but I imagine a lot of the coaching/fitness etc. teams would be in demand elsewhere if they're employed by Chelsea.

This sort of potential outcome is exactly what right-wing economics live by. Dog-eat-dog and if someone fails it's just an opportunity for someone else to fill the hole. The fact that you're saying how unfair it is is baffling - it's exactly what you vote for.

Grendel

This kind of shit happens everyday. Businesses go under and often the people least at fault are the ones most affected. Of course, I don't want to see those in the lower paid roles out of work, but I imagine a lot of the coaching/fitness etc. teams would be in demand elsewhere if they're employed by Chelsea.

This sort of potential outcome is exactly what right-wing economics live by. Dog-eat-dog and if someone fails it's just an opportunity for someone else to fill the hole. The fact that you're saying how unfair it is is baffling - it's exactly what you vote for.

It’s not dog eat dog is it? What a strange rant even by your own chip on shoulder standards

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

ooh it’s politics of envy time
Not at all. Fact is they can take a coach paid for by their employers. If they find that unacceptable they can choose to pay for alternative means.

I've had situations in the past where I could have bus fare covered, but if I didn't want to take the bus and got a cab I'd have to pay for it out of my own pocket.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It’s not dog eat dog is it? What a strange rant even by your own chip on shoulder standards
Well it is. The situation has changed not to their advantage and competitors will be looking to step in and make the most of their situation.

Were they complaining when Abramovich turns up with his billions, not caring where it had come from to make them a superpower in European football? Did all those extra staff that are now employed by them because of that care?

Well, how he obtained that wealth is now under question and that funding isn't available again so they'll have to learn to live with it.

If Abramovich had decided to just walk away and pull funding entirely by his own choice, leaving them in exactly the same position, would you be that bothered about all these people who's jobs were now at risk?

SBT

Reports say they’ve now withdrawn the request to play behind closed doors.

I don’t think they realise how lucky they are that the government is even letting the club complete its fixtures. Bizarre behaviour from Chelsea management.

clint van damme

Do you think any sanctions on Newcastle should be done in conjunction with UK arms companies being banned from selling the Saudis the bombs they're killing children in Yemen with or is that OK to carry on?

It's ridiculous that football is being held up to some sort of moral code that doesn't apply the the rest of the country.
Fine, sanction Abramovich, but sanction every other oligarch who has interests in this country at the same time.
Kick the Saudis out of football, but stop our politicians toadying up to them as they have done for the last 70 years.

It's absolute nonsense, and ill thought out nonsense. I bet the FA are praying Boro win because if they don't this is going to turn into arightshit show.

SBT

It's ridiculous that football is being held up to some sort of moral code that doesn't apply the the rest of the country.
Fine, sanction Abramovich, but sanction every other oligarch who has interests in this country at the same time.

Football is hardly getting a raw deal. The government is bending over backwards to allow Chelsea to keep operating and eventually change hands, purely because it’s a well-known football club. It wouldn’t give the same treatment to any other industry.

Grendel

Football is hardly getting a raw deal. The government is bending over backwards to allow Chelsea to keep operating and eventually change hands, purely because it’s a well-known football club. It wouldn’t give the same treatment to any other industry.

You honestly think if JLR was owned by a Russian hedge fund the government would freeze its assets?

clint van damme

Chelsea are being punished because they're high profile not being treated with leniency.

And I say this as someone who hates them.

Why is football always expected to take to be some moral standard bearer?

Same with the cocainne issue, countries awash with the stuff but it's football that's got the problem.

Grendel

Chelsea are being punished because they're high profile not being treated with leniency.

And I say this as someone who hates them.

Why is football always expected to take to be some moral standard bearer?

Same with the cocainne issue, countries awash with the stuff but it's football that's got the problem.

its just an easy can to kick down the road

SBT

You honestly think if JLR was owned by a Russian hedge fund the government would freeze its assets?

No idea, it’s a pure hypothetical, although you’re right, it would be a painful move for the government and probably not worth the cost.

But my point remains - the government isn’t going to force a high-profile, extremely popular company out of business. The sanctions will generate a lot of headlines and piss off Abramovich and his mates (as they’re designed to do), but they’ll hardly hurt Chelsea FC at all, because it’s politically toxic to try and cripple a football club. Hence why you’ve got all these hilariously precise carve outs that are letting the club compete pretty much as normal. Most other businesses would just end up putting the shutters up, while football clubs get special treatment.

Grendel

No idea, it’s a pure hypothetical, although you’re right, it would be a painful move for the government and probably not worth the cost.

But my point remains - the government isn’t going to force a high-profile, extremely popular company out of business. The sanctions will generate a lot of headlines and piss off Abramovich and his mates (as they’re designed to do), but they’ll hardly hurt Chelsea FC at all, because it’s politically toxic to try and cripple a football club. Hence why you’ve got all these hilariously precise carve outs that are letting the club compete pretty much as normal. Most other businesses would just end up putting the shutters up, while football clubs get special treatment.

well despite your pontificating the answer is no as it’s no with the eu making a “tough call” on cancelling the energy contracts with Russia

SBT

well despite your pontificating the answer is no as it’s no with the eu making a “tough call” on cancelling the energy contracts with Russia

As I say, you’re probably right! So with that in mind, do you think the government is trying to force Chelsea to the wall? I’m willing to bet they’ll miraculously find a way to soldier on - I don’t think we’ll need to make any Je Suis Roman t-shirts or anything.

Skyblueweeman

I don't know why they don't get the train. I had one club go from London up to Hartlepool (the stayed in Middlesbrough) on a train instead of the club. They can hire carraiges on trains, it's about the same price as coach hire and takes half the time. Plus there's more space for them to move around.

These team coaches are swanky as well. Having been on a couple, they're plush so it's not exactly slumming it but 10 hrs would be a lot, even with stops.

That said, there's no way it would take 10 hrs to get the Middlesbrough from Cobham on the coach. 7 hrs tops (with stops which the drivers are obliged to take).

shepardo01

This coach story is a bit sensationalist.
Firstly, their coach will be pretty high spec and comfy, more so than a regular plane. They'll be able to get up and walk around and they'll probably stop for a pre match (if travelling on the day) meal and possibly even a stretch/loosened at a decent facility on the way up.

The only thing different will be a couple of hours on the way back (plane quicker but then factor in getting to/from plane, back to transport to training ground/home etc)

shepardo01

I don't know why they don't get the train. I had one club go from London up to Hartlepool (the stayed in Middlesbrough) on a train instead of the club. They can hire carraiges on trains, it's about the same price as coach hire and takes half the time. Plus there's more space for them to move around.

These team coaches are swanky as well. Having been on a couple, they're plush so it's not exactly slumming it but 10 hrs would be a lot, even with stops.

That said, there's no way it would take 10 hrs to get the Middlesbrough from Cobham on the coach. 7 hrs tops (with stops which the drivers are obliged to take).
10 hour round trip....

Sky Blue Pete

Do you think any sanctions on Newcastle should be done in conjunction with UK arms companies being banned from selling the Saudis the bombs they're killing children in Yemen with or is that OK to carry on?

Kick the Saudis out of football, but stop our politicians toadying up to them as they have done for the last 70 years.

It's absolute nonsense, and ill thought out nonsense. I bet the FA are praying Boro win because if they don't this is going to turn into arightshit show.
How do you sanction him without it affecting the club

Users who are viewing this thread