Cheer up! - September 18th 2010 (1 Viewer)

Mexico70

Southampton found themselves 22nd in League One following a 0-0 draw at home to Colchester. Their record was P7, W1 D2 L4 Pts 5

The same week they appointed a new manager

At the end of the season they finished Runners up, five points clear of third place.
10 of the 14 players that featured in the final game of the season also played in that Colchester game.

All is not lost!

ccfc92

Southampton found themselves 22nd in League One following a 0-0 draw at home to Colchester. Their record was P7, W1 D2 L4 Pts 5

At the end of the season they finished Runners up, five points clear of third place.
10 of the 14 players that featured in the final game of the season also played in that Colchester game.

All is not lost!

Its just a shame that good stories like that never happens to us :(

Mexico70

For me, the Southampton example demonstrates how critical this next managerial appointment is to the club. Nigel Adkins achieved success primarily with the players he inherited so if, as many believe, we have a group of players that are seriously under-performing and capable of much more - there is no reason why, with the right appointment we can start to go in the right direction. Forget the bonus issues, egos, lack of leadership and time to gel bollox - other clubs and managers will have experienced exactly the same issues but rather than use it as something to hide behind, they face into the challenge and do something positive about it.

Black6Osprey

All is not lost!

Yes and last season we were also P7 W1 D2 L4 and we got err... relegated.

Shall we go with yours?

wolfie

Southampton found themselves 22nd in League One following a 0-0 draw at home to Colchester. Their record was P7, W1 D2 L4 Pts 5<br />
<br />
The same week they appointed a new manager<br />
<br />
At the end of the season they finished Runners up, five points clear of third place.<br />
10 of the 14 players that featured in the final game of the season also played in that Colchester game. <br />
<br />
All is not lost!
<br />
<br />
Good post. But I'm still looking at our next few matches behind a cushion

coundonskyblue

Assuming the new managers first game is Carlisle next week it is absolutly critical that we win that.

I know its only one game but the season has to be turned around with immediate effect. A poor start to the season is so difficult to break out of, as was seen last year, and remember we have had a worse start this year than last!

Win and we might just start to believe that the change of manager has worked.

Lose or draw and the negativity and lack of belief will go through the roof.

Nonleagueherewecome

So who is our Ricky Lambert who we are going to sign, then? Where's that money coming from?

Nonleagueherewecome

I thought about Cody, but bonuses rule him out. Next candidate? Jeffers? Good goal in the U21's in August...

Daz

Mcgoldrick is the only one that seems up for it:claping hands::claping hands::claping hands::claping hands: Shame he is only on loan:facepalm::facepalm:

coundonskyblue

Think I remember reading that Saints won 15 of their last 17 fixtures that season.

I don't think I'll live long enough to ever see City get that sort of form!

Paxman II

Why ever not? New manager and a squad that we are told should be in the promotion hunt? What more imputus can you give a club?

mexico88

All is not lost!

True Mexico, you've got to remember, some of these players are French, so on paper they have to be great.

Also,

The players just need time to gel.
The new manager will need time too, next season, he'll need to get his own players in too.
Then, I think they will need a little time.
After that, I really think we can be a top 6 team.

All this, and Tim Fisher and Waggot come across really well, so I reckon they will be able to loads more good business like they have and sell some more good but overpaid players and bring in like for like replacements at half the cost.

I really think we're going in the right direction and I think we could be having exciting times ahead.

Ha, who'd have thought that we'd hate out owners so much last year and yet they would still invest so much into our club to get us back up.

PUSB!

Nonleagueherewecome

How many Mexican's? :confused:

All is not lost!

but u forget the part that they were then bought by billionaire owners and were buying £1 million players in league one , kind of helps a little bit

BurbageSkyBlues

There was a positivity about their club, because of the investment available from the wealthy owner.

We won't have the right mentality on the pitch until everyone connected with the club feels we are going in the right direction, and we are stable, financially.

Big difference.

Mexico70

I also forgot to mention Southampton play in red and white

The point I was making was around the influence of a manager on a group of players that had previously been under-achieving. - which included big-money signings. Lambert played in six of the first seven games, Fonte played in all seven - most of the big-money signings in that season were already in place, made by Pardew prior to Adkins arrival.

cloughie

True Mexico, you've got to remember, some of these players are French, so on paper they have to be great.

Also,

The players just need time to gel.
The new manager will need time too, next season, he'll need to get his own players in too.
Then, I think they will need a little time.
After that, I really think we can be a top 6 team.

All this, and Tim Fisher and Waggot come across really well, so I reckon they will be able to loads more good business like they have and sell some more good but overpaid players and bring in like for like replacements at half the cost.

I really think we're going in the right direction and I think we could be having exciting times ahead.

Ha, who'd have thought that we'd hate out owners so much last year and yet they would still invest so much into our club to get us back up.

PUSB!

I hope you are being sarcastic

Nonleagueherewecome

No I think that's positivity

"..some of these players are French, so on paper they have to be great..." "All this, and Tim Fisher and Waggot come across really well, so I reckon they will be able to loads more good business like they have and sell some more good but overpaid players and bring in like for like replacements at half the cost.."

Nah, he's being sarcastic!

Users who are viewing this thread