Checkatrade Draw Thread (1 Viewer)

covcity4life

I like the sentiment, but for me calling Swansea under 21's 'big boys' is clutching at straws a little.

swansea are in the premier league. and their manager has coached some of biggest clubs in europe.

but we can beat them

Otis

U23 side. We SHOULD beat them. Forget about all this Premier League stuff.

If all these Premier teams were any good how come they have all been knocked out of the competition, bar one?

Otis

I just wish Clarke was available. Would be a lot happier and more confident if he was. Possibly Foley too, though I haven't seen him play.

Great_Expectations

What a shit draw from a fans perspective. I was really looking forward to the next round, but instead we draw a team who shouldn't even be in the competition and it entails a six hour round trip.

Oh well, I hope we have more fans than they do and we absolutely trash them, hammering home the point that including them was a ridiculous experiment and everyone in any sort of position of authority within English football is absolutely clueless.

no_loyalty

CET playing for on the fact it's a six hour round trip. Not exactly Yeovil to Newcastle is it?!?

Hoping I can get the time off, ready for the long trek ;)

Hoping that the tickets are £10, will definitely be booking the afternoon off work for this provided the brother-in-law can get time off, otherwise might be sending out a plea for help

Astute

CET playing on the fact it's a six hour round trip. Not exactly Yeovil to Newcastle is it?!?

Hoping I can get the time off, ready for the long trek ;)
Long trek :smuggrin: Just over 150 miles IIRC. Have family nearby.

Will be joining you all if I can. Not at work but have a hospital appointment on the 24th. 6 hours each way so I hope that they let us know the date of the game ASAP. Might be able to get an earlier appointment. Bloody hope so at least.

Otis

There's going to be at least two League Two clubs in the semi-final for this, could even be three, so this is a fantastic opportunity we have in front of us.

To be quite honest though I would rather we did play someone like Bradford or Oxford in the final.

Might sound an odd thing to say, but if we were to play say Yeovil or Mansfield, the expectation would be so high for us to win. Clear favourites and that might take the edge off things somewhat.

I think the excitement for a City v Bradford, or City v Oxford final would be so much greater and a win then, just that little bit more satisfying.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

There's going to be at least two League Two clubs in the semi-final for this, could even be three, so this is a fantastic opportunity we have in front of us.

To be quite honest though I would rather we did play someone like Bradford or Oxford in the final.

Might sound an odd thing to say, but if we were to play say Yeovil or Mansfield, the expectation would be so high for us to win. Clear favourites and that might take the edge off things somewhat.

I think the excitement for a City v Bradford, or City v Oxford final would be so much greater and a win then, just that little bit more satisfying.

Completley agree.

Also, if we played Bradford for example, we could pretend that it's the playoff final.

robbiekeane

It is, but I want to go Wembley
I don't understand this at all mate.

What is it about Wembley itself? To me it's nothing special. Wembley itself (area) is a shithole and the stadium is impressive yes, but no more than Twickenham or somewhere.

It's surely being at Wembley because the occasion justifies it that's attractive. At least to me. A tin pot trophy where we've been forced to field full strength teams in a relegation threatened season, to play premier league and championship youth teams just so they can get even better and increase the gulf at our expense, is not particularly a competition i've been on the edge of my seat about. If we start getting some good crowds then will i go? Yeh. Will I go to Wembley if I can, yeh.

But this whole "omg it's wembley" thing is hard for me to get, unless it's the FA Cup/League cup.

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

What is it about Wembley itself? To me it's nothing special. Wembley itself (area) is a shithole and the stadium is impressive yes, but no more than Twickenham or somewhere.

It's surely being at Wembley because the occasion justifies it that's attractive. At least to me. A tin pot trophy where we've been forced to field full strength teams in a relegation threatened season, to play premier league and championship youth teams just so they can get even better and increase the gulf at our expense, is not particularly a competition i've been on the edge of my seat about. If we start getting some good crowds then will i go? Yeh. Will I go to Wembley if I can, yeh.

But this whole "omg it's wembley" thing is hard for me to get, unless it's the FA Cup/League cup.

I think what's more appealing to some fans is the chance to see 30k+ Cov fans in unison backing the team with the prospect of some silverware as a reward. The club has been starved of success for far too long and every Cov fan deserves to be a part of it.

Yes it's a shitty trophy, with a shitty format instigated by some clueless tossers at the top - but if we beat Swansea the excitement will begin to build for the majority. I guess there's a certain glamour that comes with playing at Wembley, but I'd be just as excited if the final was at Old Trafford, Emirates etc.

Otis

It's the history of the place surely, the prestige of the place, known throughout the world as the home of football and it's a game that will be televised to the nation too and as it's a final, watched by quite a few neutrals.

Yeah, the format this year is an abomination, but I do think we have delusions of grandeur. Do you think any League Two club is saying it's a tinpot cup?

Doesn't matter now that we were a big club, or had 34 years in the top league. We are now a League One club and this competition was devised for the clubs of the bottom two divisions. We are a club in the bottom two divisions.

We can't say it is beneath us. It may be 'tinpot' but for League One and Two clubs this is the ONLY cup competition trophy they can possibly win.

hutch1972

A win is always something in terms of confidence but I see no teams that Swansea have beaten that would be of a similar level to us. Norwich and Wolves fielded their U-21 sides as well so the only League teams they've faced were AFC Wimbledon, Newport County and Plymouth Argyle (lost to the Dons, won the other 2). We've got every chance of winning this unless it turns into that proverbial banana skin.

But I go along with all the comments about U-21 teams in the competition. Reading on the FL site, it only mentions 16/17 as the season undertaking this experiment. Did someone say that it has been extended to next season too ?

Because robbie , Wembley is the home of football.
The ground holds huge significance within the sports history , not just here but worldwide.

Otis

Also, whether the Wembley area is a dump or not, do we say we aren't bothered at all about playing at Old Trafford because many parts of Manchester are a dump too?

I don't get your don't get. ;)

st john

There is £150,000 prize money to be had if we can win this competition, plus the £40,000 prize money for Tuesday's win, which would not have been included in this year's budget. There is also the possibility of a big semi final gate receipt.
While the transfer window is open CCFC now have an opportunity to demonstrate a bit of on-field commitment by taking a punt and spending some money to bring in one or two players who are not cup tied, to try and win it.

covcity4life

are you sure you like football?

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Completley agree.

Also, if we played Bradford for example, we could pretend that it's the playoff final.

Reckon this will be he fixture the authorities will be hoping for as its likely to attract the biggest of crowds.

Like it or not, if we got to Wembley, we will sell tickets. Everyone will have supported us through thick and thin wanting a ticket :)

And Bradford always have a good following

better days

I watched last year's final on Sky
A great game where Barnsley came from behind to beat Oxford 3 2
There was a big crowd and it looked as though all concerned had a great day out
Same as Play Off finals.
The team's fans winning the division don't have the day out
I wouldn't mind some of that

skybluesam66

Reckon this will be he fixture the authorities will be hoping for as its likely to attract the biggest of crowds.

Like it or not, if we got to Wembley, we will sell tickets. Everyone will have supported us through thick and thin wanting a ticket :)

And Bradford always have a good following
Luton took 40000 the last time they were in the final
I think us v luton would be a sell out
record for a final so far is 80000 wolves burnley

Users who are viewing this thread