Chaplin question? (4 Viewers)

jimmy the gonna

Sorry if already been discussed, do we have to take him in January?? I assume if nothing had been signed we still have a choice? Hope so cus if we are paying 500k for him we have had our pants down.

higgs

Sorry if already been discussed, do we have to take him in January?? I assume if nothing had been signed we still have a choice? Hope so cus if we are paying 500k for him we have had our pants down.
People seem to think it's a done deal similar to the jch agreement last January so looks like he's ours for keeps. I would have expected more of a return for 500k I hope he proves us wrong

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Due to the transfer window shutting and the loan window still being open, it was effectively a transfer (a loan with an obligation to buy).

I don’t agree with the pants down part of your post. We signed him on a 4 year deal and he’s 4 months into that, he was always going to be a player that we needed to develop and jel into the team. For a free scoring 21 year old that was ready to go, we would of been paying a hell of a lot more money than 500k.
Football fans are infuriating at times because we all want immediate results. Realism is needed here.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

People seem to think it's a done deal similar to the jch agreement last January so looks like he's ours for keeps. I would have expected more of a return for 500k I hope he proves us wrong

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

People seem to think, because that’s what the club announced when we signed him.

Grendel

When he started in the team him a d clarke Harris played upfront and there were chances. He missed them but we created plenty of chances.

Now - and I can only assume it’s the managers instructions - he is playing wide or deep and nowhere near the other forward.

steve82

Said numerous times play him off a natural target man and you’ll see a much improved player.

We need a few additions to the starting side to bring the best out of him, it’s a building process that few managers are given time to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Said numerous times play him off a natural target man and you’ll see a much improved player.

We need a few additions to the starting side to bring the best out of him, it’s a building process that few managers are given time to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s a shame that Biamou got a long term injury, he would of been the perfect target man for Chaplin to play off.

Grendel

It’s a shame that Biamou got a long term injury, he would of been the perfect target man for Chaplin to play off.

Yeah those 3 assists including one in the first game would come in handy

Mucca Mad Boys

Bakayoko seemed to get injured at an unlucky time, just when Robins was going to experiment with those two upfront.

Chaplin is a long term investment, how many times have Cov fans bemoaned the lack of long term investment? All the time. We sign someone in the early stages of their career and we hound him — he’s got 4 goals which is not that bad at this point. Based on a few conversations I’ve had on here, there’s a significant amount of fans that seem to think 20 goals is a base requirement. About 2 players a season hit 20+ in this league, about 5+ will surpass 15 goals. If that’s your minimum expectation you will be let down. 10+ is a reasonable expectation of Chaplin and JCH. You’d like to think that Hiwula can improve on his 8 league goals from last season.

McNulty’s season last year was a career season for him, signing — so far his replacements have scored 16 goals of the 28 goals he scored last season. It should be higher, but I’m putting that into perspective.

slyblue57

I think Chaplin could score goals for us if he was played with a real target man. Unfortunately we have JCH in that role. He is woeful in that position.
Does anyone think that JCH will score 10 or more goals this season ? His composure infront of goal is non existant. He seems to run with bricks in
his boots, first touch the same. The only attribute I can see, is he very good at falling over. ( Maybe Im a little harsh )
Chaplin makes good runs and yes has missed chances so far but he looks a clever footballer who will score.
I do wish Biamou was fit, his combination with Mcnulty was very good towards the end of the season and I think he and Chaplin would have thrived
as a pairing. Yes I know he s not and will not be for some time so we are stuck with the lumbering JCH. I feel sorry for Chaplin.

Hobo

I have never rated JCH. I wasn't convinced about Chaplin either despite the clamour from our fans to sign him.

Anyway it is still early days at this level, a step up for a lot of our squad. I always thought a 12th - 14th finish this season would be reasonable progress.

SkyblueBri

Due to the transfer window shutting and the loan window still being open, it was effectively a transfer (a loan with an obligation to buy).

I don’t agree with the pants down part of your post. We signed him on a 4 year deal and he’s 4 months into that, he was always going to be a player that we needed to develop and jel into the team. For a free scoring 21 year old that was ready to go, we would of been paying a hell of a lot more money than 500k.
Football fans are infuriating at times because we all want immediate results. Realism is needed here.
We have a young striker called Pontecelli who can score, why waste £500k

Adge

I have never rated JCH. I wasn't convinced about Chaplin either despite the clamour from our fans to sign him.

Anyway it is still early days at this level, a step up for a lot of our squad. I always thought a 12th - 14th finish this season would be reasonable progress.

It was laughable that lots of our fans were sucked in by the razzmatazz surrounding Chaplin when in reality a bit like Vincenti last season, people knew little about him or had even seen him play.

Magwitch

It’s not the player it’s how he’s been asked to play, he’s a striker should play up front alongside the centre forward.

pusbccfc

He'd be better off playing alongside Beavon than JCH.

Chaplin and Clarke-Harris play like they've never once met.

Sky Blue Harry H

If MR is talking about wheeling dealing in January, could someone like Hiwula (who hasn't looked like doing anything) be off (assuming someone will take him). He clearly seems to think we need more up front (as do we all). I'd like to see a big target man - but will anybody decent be available in January - might have to be an U23 from a bigger club on loan. Trouble is we may end up with an Agyei or Andre Wright?! Big decisions to make.

steve82

We have a young striker called Pontecelli who can score, why waste £500k

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, tho I doubt Ponticelli would of done much different with all the same opportunities as Chaplin’s had.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

steve82

If MR is talking about wheeling dealing in January, could someone like Hiwula (who hasn't looked like doing anything) be off (assuming someone will take him). He clearly seems to think we need more up front (as do we all). I'd like to see a big target man - but will anybody decent be available in January - might have to be an U23 from a bigger club on loan. Trouble is we may end up with an Agyei or Andre Wright?! Big decisions to make.

If I was Hiwula I’d want to be off too, kids a striker and he’s not had a chance to be one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pastythegreat

It was laughable that lots of our fans were sucked in by the razzmatazz surrounding Chaplin when in reality a bit like Vincenti last season, people knew little about him or had even seen him play.
The same people that wrote off Hiwula and Bakayoko before ever seeing them kick a ball too!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Sick Boy

Yeah those 3 assists including one in the first game would come in handy

He has had far more impact than JCH at the club, he deserves plaudits for his form in the second half of last season, and especially Notts C away.

SAJ

It’s not the player it’s how he’s been asked to play, he’s a striker should play up front alongside the centre forward.
Got to
He'd be better off playing alongside Beavon than JCH.

Chaplin and Clarke-Harris play like they've never once met.
Have to disagree with this you only have to look at our past results in September/October when JCH and Chaplin were playing far more as a two up front. We created loads of chances and with the exception of Portsmouth scored in every game. Since Accrington we have continually played one up front and hardly surprisingly we have struggled to score.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Chaplin is a long term investment, how many times have Cov fans bemoaned the lack of long term investment?

Of course it's great to see long term thinking and investment, but like investing it's a risk-reward strategy. We can get younger players to develop at a lower cost but the risk they won't develop is there. We had a similar strategy when we brought in Bellamy and despite him proving to be a decent player over the course of his career he just didn't work here and we ended up getting relegated which has played a part in our fall since. Of course, signing Bellamy was due to the short term decision (allegedly under orders from elsewhere) to sell Keane. When SISU took over their first signings were really good - ready for first team but also young enough to develop and sell on, but again those players were moved on far too quickly for what proved a minimal profit and ended up costing us far more on the pitch.

The fact is we've signed three W-I-P strikers along with a slightly older head whose never really looked like being any more than average in the lower leagues at best. At the moment none of them look like being the answer (or any more of an answer than our own youngster) and at some point you have to have one eye on the here and now.

As well as these strikers we've mainly spent our summer bringing in a number of development squad players and the first team acquisitions we made in Brown and Ogogo have been underwhelming. In terms of long term planning I'm hopeful that the academy squads coming through over the next 5 years are as good as some people believe they are.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

For Chaplin, I think there's a better player than we've seen so far in there and we're not fully utilising his strengths, but he was brought in to stick the ball in the net and he doesn't seem to be a natural at that. In that respect I think Ponticelli is far better.

SAJ

I think Chaplin could score goals for us if he was played with a real target man. Unfortunately we have JCH in that role. He is woeful in that position.
Does anyone think that JCH will score 10 or more goals this season ? His composure infront of goal is non existant. He seems to run with bricks in
his boots, first touch the same. The only attribute I can see, is he very good at falling over. ( Maybe Im a little harsh )
Chaplin makes good runs and yes has missed chances so far but he looks a clever footballer who will score.
I do wish Biamou was fit, his combination with Mcnulty was very good towards the end of the season and I think he and Chaplin would have thrived
as a pairing. Yes I know he s not and will not be for some time so we are stuck with the lumbering JCH. I feel sorry for Chaplin.
I think come the end of the season both Chaplin and JCH will have scored 10. Chaplin has scored 4 in 16 JCH 5 in 20, both averaging a goal roughly every 300 minutes they play at the moment.

cc84cov

Sat next to Carl Baker yesterday he told me he was with him at Pompey for a year said he was the same as he is there nothing special defo not a 20 goal a season man...

4 year contract with us apparently when the deal went through.

Grendel

He has had far more impact than JCH at the club, he deserves plaudits for his form in the second half of last season, and especially Notts C away.

He hasn’t and you can’t erode 35 games and pretend they never happened - he scored 5 goals in the second half of the season in the league and only two gained us points.

If clarke Harris scores one more league goal he’d equal Biamou across the season in a higher league

Sick Boy

He hasn’t and you can’t erode 35 games and pretend they never happened - he scored 5 goals in the second half of the season in the league and only two gained us points.

If clarke Harris scores one more league goal he’d equal Biamou across the season in a higher league

He has stepped up from non league and contributed more overall than JCH, a player who has been in the professional setup far longer and whose career has gone in the opposite direction.

Warwickhunt

JCH needs converting into a Centre Back cos he wins the ball every time we have a corner against us which always does my head in when he does not do it in the opposition box?

Grendel

He has stepped up from non league and contributed more overall than JCH, a player who has been in the professional setup far longer and whose career has gone in the opposite direction.

He contributed in one game. He looked hopelessly out of his depth in 90% of the games that he played

Users who are viewing this thread