Championship will have five subs from end of November... (2 Viewers)

ccfctommy

...according to the Daily Telegraph.

I take it you would name up to nine?

Skyblueweeman

Disagree Dave. The gulf between clubs and squad depth will always be there.

This will allow clubs to use players more sparingly...granted, not by a great deal, but it gives clubs greater flexibility in managing player 'workload' which should have a positive impact in player injury numbers.

For a club like ours (who seem to always have a busy treatment room), this could help.

shepardo01

Disagree Dave. The gulf between clubs and squad depth will always be there.

This will allow clubs to use players more sparingly...granted, not by a great deal, but it gives clubs greater flexibility in managing player 'workload' which should have a positive impact in player injury numbers.

For a club like ours (who seem to always have a busy treatment room), this could help.
Do we have the squad depth (in terms of championship quality) to be able to use this effectively? In my opinion, no, so in order to try to maintain a result or see out a game, we will not make subs just because we have the ability to use two more.
Other clubs with deeper squads will have a distinct advantage in terms of being able to reduce fatigue levels on players whilst still having quality all over the pitch.

Skyblueweeman

Do we have the squad depth (in terms of championship quality) to be able to use this effectively? In my opinion, no, so in order to try to maintain a result or see out a game, we will not make subs just because we have the ability to use two more.
Other clubs with deeper squads will have a distinct advantage in terms of being able to reduce fatigue levels on players whilst still having quality all over the pitch.

Like I said, the gulf in squad depths will always be there.

We still need to name 7 subs now, the same as we've always done. Just means we can use more if needs be.

I can see how it looks with the bigger teams benefitting but Bournemouth have a better squad than us anyway (as an example).

shmmeee

Like I said, the gulf in squad depths will always be there.

We still need to name 7 subs now, the same as we've always done. Just means we can use more if needs be.

I can see how it looks with the bigger teams benefitting but Bournemouth have a better squad than us anyway (as an example).

Just means they get to swap players out more though while we will be doing what we’ve been doing and not making subs because it’s a significant drop in quality on the pitch.

So they get fewer injuries and we don’t. So now it’s not just the quality level but fitness levels we lose out on.

There’s no way this is good news for us.

Skyblueweeman

Just means they get to swap players out more though while we will be doing what we’ve been doing and not making subs because it’s a significant drop in quality on the pitch.

So they get fewer injuries and we don’t. So now it’s not just the quality level but fitness levels we lose out on.

There’s no way this is good news for us.

You think Robins isn't making subs because what we have on the bench is a significant drop in quality? Jesus wept....

Our benches in the last 5 games:

* vs Watford - McFadz, Kelly, Allen, Wilson, Baka, Dacosta, Bapaga
* vs Forest - Kelly, Allen, Wilson, Walker, Da Costa, Bapaga, Thompson
* vs Reading - McFadz, Kelly, Allen, O'Hare, Wilson, Walker McCallum
* vs Boro - Kelly, Biamou, O'Hare, Wilson, Walker, Dabo, Thompson
* vs Blackburn - Ostigard, Biamou, Wilson, Pask, Baka, Kastaneer, Bapaga

In 4 of those 5 games, there's more than 3 players who could realistically start in our 1st team every game, maybe the Blackburn bench being the exception.

I'll say it again - our squad quality is still different to that of a Bournemouth. But their 15th best player is still their 15th best player , the same as our 15th best player is our 15th best player. Their 1st best player is still better than our 1st best player.

Our bench depth is better than last season and regardless of whether MR uses his subs (that's another argument), the '4th best player' on each of those benches above could still come on and do a decent job for us. Potentially the 5th as well.

ccfc1234

Not for it on many levels most simple one being I can't be bothered to watch even slow walks off the pitch

87 n all that

This 5 subs business is ridiculous. Benefits only the top clubs in whatever league they are in. It’s replacing half a team. Keep it at 3 subs and a 4th if the game goes to extra time.

87 n all that

Another 5-10 years and it will be the whole team can be subbed if necessary. The over spending big clubs will win probably destroy the game and get their Euro Superleague.

87 n all that

For a club like us, that relies on developing yougsters, having more options to throw on for experience when we're 3 goals up or (more likely!) down, could be useful.
True, but apart from Bapaga at the moment which of our young players could make an impact. The Wilson’s, Maddison’s and Bayliss’s won’t get as much of a chance in the Champ. The gap between the leagues now is massive.

Sky Blue Harry H

Not saying it would happen, but if you are allowed 5 subs, and you are coming up against a side with let's say 2 or 3 key players. You could get some of your players to kick the crap out of the key players - let them pick up yellows, then replace those who have been yellow carded. If you used up 3 players doing that, you would still have 2 unused subs to cover for injury. Like I say - probably won't happen - but a Warnock type might be tempted?!

87 n all that

Not saying it would happen, but if you are allowed 5 subs, and you are coming up against a side with let's say 2 or 3 key players. You could get some of your players to kick the crap out of the key players - let them pick up yellows, then replace those who have been yellow carded. If you used up 3 players doing that, you would still have 2 unused subs to cover for injury. Like I say - probably won't happen - but a Warnock type might be tempted?!
He’ll make sure they’re all hard bastards who know their role. Dislike the fucker but can’t fault the fact at this level he knows exactly what to do. He always has our number as well.

stay_up_skyblues

Danny Murphy made a good point on this the other day. Take Liverpool, Klopp knows his best 11. Whether it’s three or five subs, he wants his best 11 out there. Realistically the only time he is likely to make five subs is when they are 4/5 goals up and want to give the fringe players a run around. If they are chasing a game they might bring on their back up striker, or one defensive player to hold onto a lead, but none of the bigger teams are likely to make five changes and put their squad players on to get the win.

shepardo01

....you could also see teams making 3/4 subs in the 90th min +, one at a time, killing all possible momentum for a team chasing the game.

87 n all that

Danny Murphy made a good point on this the other day. Take Liverpool, Klopp knows his best 11. Whether it’s three or five subs, he wants his best 11 out there. Realistically the only time he is likely to make five subs is when they are 4/5 goals up and want to give the fringe players a run around. If they are chasing a game they might bring on their back up striker, or one defensive player to hold onto a lead, but none of the bigger teams are likely to make five changes and put their squad players on to get the win.
Exactly and we are nowhere near that level in the champ. We have lots of u23s that might have been able to do that in l1 or L2 but right now with our injury issues we’ll struggle to put an 18 man squad out that Robins would really want to be on the pitch if he had to put them on unless it’s injuries. It will only benefit the teams with dosh.

doubt we’ll ever be 4 or 5 up against anyone though.

stay_up_skyblues

....you could also see teams making 3/4 subs in the 90th min +, one at a time, killing all possible momentum for a team chasing the game.

I haven’t read up on it but isn’t there a rule to stop that? Something along the lines of making the subs at certain times in the game all together ?!

shepardo01

I haven’t read up on it but isn’t there a rule to stop that? Something along the lines of making the subs at certain times in the game all together ?!
....haven't read it either.... you'd hope that the footballing rule makers may have taken this into account....

87 n all that

Bringing on a penalty saving keeper in a cup game in the 90th is what I’m expecting to see next. I’m sure it’s happened before.

SBT

If it works the same way it does in other leagues with five subs, you're only allowed to stop the game three times for subs. So basically you have to make a few changes at once if you want to use all five.

shepardo01

If it works the same way it does in other leagues with five subs, you're only allowed to stop the game three times for subs. So basically you have to make a few changes at once if you want to use all five.
Cheers SBT.... thought I was pretty clued up laws of the game wise.... but didn't know that..... although can't say I could name a league/have watched a league allowing 5 subs to have seen/known....

Brighton Sky Blue

To be honest you can do without having a GK on the bench, we've needed it perhaps a handful of times in 20 years

Users who are viewing this thread