Championship thread 23/24 (16 Viewers)

Nuskyblue

Talking with friends at the weekend, maybe with sky blue specs on , but how do you think us and Leicester would do if promoted? Leicesters squad for me needs a lot more additions than ours in my opinion
I think I see where you are coming from in a way but don't necessarily agree.

Leicester basically have a premier league standard first 11. Probably good enough for lower mid table however, if they try and play open expansive football they would be spanked regularly and more likely to be relegation fodder.

If we went up we would be more Luton like, MR would set us up to be difficult to break down. We would keep things tight and play on the break or capitalising on errors which I sort of think we have a squad capable of.

baldy

The gap between the championship and prem is massive. How many players did Forrest sign, yet they have struggled and now find themselves the wrong side of FFP. Burnley last season were almost as far in front as Leicester this season. The only way any of the three last season survive this season if points deduction for Forrest and Everton .

* Forest

HadjiChippo

Hard to judge Maresca on his Parma stint, they spent a decent chunk of money in summer ‘21 hoping to get promoted straight back to Serie A and were hoping a young first time manager would basically piss the league whilst also integrating a first team of new players then sacked him a dozen or so games in. It’d be like us sacking Robins in November after bringing in so many first teamers. I’m not sold that he’ll have enough savvy or experience to keep a team in the Prem though, without significant transfers/style changes. It’s whether Leicester are brave enough to stick with it if they get into a hard relegation fight (they stuck with Rodger’s very late into their relegation season)

Was a strange Parma squad though, 43 year old Buffon, Danilo, Vasquez from Sevilla and quite a few regular internationals.

slowpoke

Hard to judge Maresca on his Parma stint, they spent a decent chunk of money in summer ‘21 hoping to get promoted straight back to Serie A and were hoping a young first time manager would basically piss the league whilst also integrating a first team of new players then sacked him a dozen or so games in. It’d be like us sacking Robins in November after bringing in so many first teamers. I’m not sold that he’ll have enough savvy or experience to keep a team in the Prem though, without significant transfers/style changes. It’s whether Leicester are brave enough to stick with it if they get into a hard relegation fight (they stuck with Rodger’s very late into their relegation season)

Was a strange Parma squad though, 43 year old Buffon, Danilo, Vasquez from Sevilla and quite a few regular internationals.
I reckon a couple more adverse results Leicester gets the bigger the chance they will sack him, promotion is financial essential and although that are still well ahead the nearer the chasing pack get the more squeaky bum their owner will get.

fernandopartridge

I reckon a couple more adverse results Leicester gets the bigger the chance they will sack him, promotion is financial essential and although that are still well ahead the nearer the chasing pack get the more squeaky bum their owner will get.
They are not going to sack him if they don't win a couple of games

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

skybluericoh

They are not going to sack him if they don't win a couple of games

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Agreed. I cannot see them not going up. Would be funny though it it did happen. They get 55% of the ‘basic tv package’ this season say 55mill that drops to 20% next season if they don’t go up. That will hurt regards FFP with their squad.

Terry Gibson's perm

Agreed. I cannot see them not going up. Would be funny though it it did happen. They get 55% of the ‘basic tv package’ this season say 55mill that drops to 20% next season if they don’t go up. That will hurt regards FFP with their squad.

They would get lucky though as even Vardys contract has to end soon and that would sort out a massive part of that.

They will go up though as the ridiculous parachute payments they receive will make sure of that.

Martin180

Leicester we’re dropping off before beat them and Leeds/Southampton are peaking… it could get very interesting.

Imagine a situation where Leicester are ‘supporting’ us to get results against those two again.
I think both Leicester and Ipswich slipped the rest of the league while the others were integrating new players and managers . Like you say , Leeds , Southampton and ourselves are flying now although we are too far back to threaten the top two

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

We'd need more than that in my view to survive. Bidwell isn't a Premier League quality left back for example, and we would also need extra quality in midfield. Even O'Hare if he stayed is not necessarily good enough and we would need extra in that position too. The gulf in quality is massive as the position of all the promoted teams last season shows.

We have a number of players of potential Premier League quality but none who have proved themselves at that level, so it is difficult to judge. Van Ewijk looks like he would be good enough for example, but then again you never know until they play at that level. Same applies to Wright, and maybe Sakamoto. Sheaf has quality but would his lack of pace be too much of a problem? Eccles has the potential, as do Thomas and Kitching but next season might be too soon. So we would need quite a considerable injection of talent if we were to survive at that level.
IMO pretty much our entire squad would struggle at that level, certainly to a decent consistent level.

MvE has a lot of ability, but in a team playing on the backfoot for 3/4 of a game he's going to struggle to show it. The speed and movement in the Pl would cause Kitching and Thomas loads of problems (and I like the pair of them). O'hare might have a chance because he can run all day, mixed with his ability on the ball. Sakamoto I think would get nullified for most of a game and show the odd flash with his skill.

We'd be relying heavily on being a solid unit and working hard.

covcity4life

Ya. That's my only point. I personally will wait to give any verdict on him. Not saying he's next pep. Just not ready to call him btec either

Looking at table and all of a sudden it might start getting squeaky bum time for Leicester if they drop pts again in next 2-3 games.

Good result for us yesterday with Leeds beating Norwich. All about 5th and 6th now

slowpoke

Leeds aren’t playing that well, lucky with a last minute dodgy penalty v Preston and not brilliant last night, Norwich had the lions shade of chances and might have equalised at the death but for a last ditch tackle, they are definitely catchable and I expect us to do so.

Once this transfer window closes squad depth is going to kick in, we have no problem with that, there a number of our subs that get into any of our rivals first team.

As always let’s take one game at a time.

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

Leeds aren’t playing that well, lucky with a last minute dodgy penalty v Preston and not brilliant last night, Norwich had the lions shade of chances and might have equalised at the death but for a last ditch tackle, they are definitely catchable and I expect us to do so.
One game at a time.
They’re relying heavily on their home form which is the best in the division.

harvey098

Once this transfer window closes squad depth is going to kick in, we have no problem with that, there a number of our subs that get into any of our rivals first team.

As always let’s take one game at a time.

Leeds are 14 points clear of us! They’re gone imo.

Id say it’s 5th and 6th available between about 10 teams (down to Cardiff in 14th who are 6 points behind us).

Going to be very exciting, I’m just so glad we’re involved in it. I thought after the first few games it would be a “safe but nothing to play for season” by this point.

Terry_dactyl

Leeds are 14 points clear of us! They’re gone imo.

Id say it’s 5th and 6th available between about 10 teams (down to Cardiff in 14th who are 6 points behind us).

Going to be very exciting, I’m just so glad we’re involved in it. I thought after the first few games it would be a “safe but nothing to play for season” by this point.
I agree. Even if we don’t make it, it feels like next season could be very exciting.

Grendel

Just doing what we did and signing Giles and not playing him. Wonder if there’s something there that means he doesn’t get on in our kind of teams.

Giles played virtually every game he was available on his second spell

Martin180

We are the form team alongside Southampton, will catch Leeds up I have little doubt about that.
We play them at home and their final match is Southampton
All That Magic GIF by Nickelodeon

Users who are viewing this thread