Championship Standard Players (1 Viewer)

NorthernWisdom

We might already have that player on loan from Brighton. I think he just needs some regular game time - which he could well get as I think we will have to nurse Godden through the last seven games.
On loan only helps us develop someone else's player, though, and if they're not a big step up from one of our own players, they're wasting a slot and budget.

fernandopartridge

Isn’t that what we did last year though? Shall we just keep him forever in case he magically gets back fit one year?

He wasn’t proven in league 1 4 years ago and he won’t have improved in these last 4 years. If by some miracle, the same Jones as 4 years ago comes back after these injuries, there’s still doubts whether he would be good enough

He was signed as a teenager, looked OK in flashes. Has clearly got talent and what we need (pace and ability to run past players). He won't be on a great deal on money so what have we got to lose really?

shmmeee

What are you on about?

McCallum. Has been poor. As has the entire left side. Poor quality into the box, scared to get forward, regularly done by wingers and balls into the channel, doesn’t stop enough crosses.

Has his moments where it’s obvious he’ll come good once he learns some more, but we aren’t good enough to carry someone learning.

Thought it was quite straightforward TBH.

Marty

Scott Dann's available on a free this year.

Hobo

On loan only helps us develop someone else's player, though, and if they're not a big step up from one of our own players, they're wasting a slot and budget.

Will Brighton want to keep him as much as Ostigaard? There is always churn in football.

PVA

Might be controversial but I'd argue McCallum has been better than Dabo this season.

Obviously he's struggled with injuries but Dabo just hasn't got going this year. He hasn't been bad by any means, but just not as effective offensively as I expected him to be. He was immense last season, just hasn't quite been at it this season.

Northeast sky blue

McCallum. Has been poor. As has the entire left side. Poor quality into the box, scared to get forward, regularly done by wingers and balls into the channel, doesn’t stop enough crosses.

Has his moments where it’s obvious he’ll come good once he learns some more, but we aren’t good enough to carry someone learning.

I don't think it's all down to McCallum, like you say the whole left hand side has been a problem. I think that's why Robins sometimes plays Shipley to try and support McCallum, but he hasn't been much use

fernandopartridge

Carrying him, laughable statement.

shmmeee

Carrying him, laughable statement.

I mean if he’s not always on form that’s literally what you’re doing. I don’t know why this has triggered you, if he was the finished article he wouldn’t be here. On his day he’s a decent championship full back, but the majority of days aren’t his and at that point he’s a 19 yo with little experience who hampers our attacking play and is a liability at the back.

shmmeee

I don't think it's all down to McCallum, like you say the whole left hand side has been a problem. I think that's why Robins sometimes plays Shipley to try and support McCallum, but he hasn't been much use

It’s not at all down to McCallum, Hyam has been awful this season and we’ve chopped and changed the midfield and never come up with a decent left sided option whatever formation we’re playing.

fernandopartridge

I mean if he’s not always on form that’s literally what you’re doing. I don’t know why this has triggered you, if he was the finished article he wouldn’t be here. On his day he’s a decent championship full back, but the majority of days aren’t his and at that point he’s a 19 yo with little experience who hampers our attacking play and is a liability at the back.

Liability? I genuinely don't think you know what you're talking about. I don't recall McCallum being directly culpable for a single goal this season, maybe I missed it. That's a liability.

shmmeee

Liability? I genuinely don't think you know what you're talking about. I don't recall McCallum being directly culpable for a single goal this season, maybe I missed it. That's a liability.

Maybe liability is harsh, it’s mostly his attacking play and his habit for losing the ball in the middle of the park or just killing all momentum out of a move I have issue with. I thought he was very good defensively V Bristol, but that’s the first time I can remember thinking that. What I can remember is the number of teams that have targeted his side with simply balls into the channels that we can’t deal with.

Grendel

A few have a go at him. Defensively he’s been more competent than Dabo Giles and clearly Da Costa

clint van damme

McCallum has the highest number of tackles and highest number of interceptions per game of anyone in the squad.

He beats Dabo for:

Tackles made
Clearances
Aerial duel success
Ground duel success
Interceptions
Blocks
Chances created
Crossing accuracy

But there have been many games where teams have clearly targeted us downtrend left thats to be expected.

larry_david

I thought it was staggering Bristol didn't target Eccles's side at all during the game. What kinda shocking tactics was that. They would have expected Dacosta who is defensively all over the shop at the moment, and even then learning a young CM is playing RWB they still didn't go at him. Bizarre.

For what it's worth Mccallum has been up and down this season, as has every single player in our squad. When he's been good he's been excellent and when he's been poor he's been naf. But he's going to be a very solid player for someone someday, it just won't be us.

Dabo hasn't been great. In fact tbh i can't think of a single game he's stood out but that is 100% down to the injury in pre season and the stop start effect. We won't see the best of Dabo until next season and i'm sure the same case will apply to Rose.

As other others, there's some players in our squad who are now best plying their trade elsewhere. Allen, Jobello, Kasta, Baka, Mason, Hilsner. Shipley i'm unsure of. Shipley of last season was a classy act. Shipley of this season looks like a player who's come back out of retirement just to get the match fee.

Yorkshire SB

He's not a liability, total nonsense.

In my view he's the only player in the current squad that I could see playing PL football at some point in his career. Strong, athletic, good technical ability, and looked more than adept in his first season in the Champ.

fernandopartridge

He's not a liability, total nonsense.

In my view he's the only player in the current squad that I could see playing PL football at some point in his career. Strong, athletic, good technical ability, and looked more than adept in his first season in the Champ.

Yep. I think people forget he’s only 20 with less than 100 first team games to his name. He’s slotted in very well in that context. With Norwich going up we might yet get him again for another season, unless they want him to play a role other than LWB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hertsccfc

I thought it was staggering Bristol didn't target Eccles's side at all during the game. What kinda shocking tactics was that. They would have expected Dacosta who is defensively all over the shop at the moment, and even then learning a young CM is playing RWB they still didn't go at him. Bizarre.

For what it's worth Mccallum has been up and down this season, as has every single player in our squad. When he's been good he's been excellent and when he's been poor he's been naf. But he's going to be a very solid player for someone someday, it just won't be us.

Dabo hasn't been great. In fact tbh i can't think of a single game he's stood out but that is 100% down to the injury in pre season and the stop start effect. We won't see the best of Dabo until next season and i'm sure the same case will apply to Rose.

As other others, there's some players in our squad who are now best plying their trade elsewhere. Allen, Jobello, Kasta, Baka, Mason, Hilsner. Shipley i'm unsure of. Shipley of last season was a classy act. Shipley of this season looks like a player who's come back out of retirement just to get the match fee.
I agree it was strange they didn't target Eccles. I suspect it was because their best player was on their right, but surely they could have moved him over. I think Eccles looks a great player as a midfielder but many overrated his performance on Monday. I think we got away with playing him there but he us not the answer there I suspect.

Brighton Sky Blue

I agree it was strange they didn't target Eccles. I suspect it was because their best player was on their right, but surely they could have moved him over. I think Eccles looks a great player as a midfielder but many overrated his performance on Monday. I think we got away with playing him there but he us not the answer there I suspect.

Hamer there on Saturday could be worth a go.

PVA

I don't think Robins sees him as the answer there either. He said he wanted to give Dacosta a rest and with Rose & Hyam missing Pask had to go CB.

Brighton Sky Blue

I’d agree with this, Eccles looked tidy but I don’t remember him having to make a tackle, danjuma on Saturday could tear him apart

The times I’ve seen Hamer rush back to that part of the pitch and do defensive work it’s been decent. He harries players and knows to stay on his feet at least. I’d start him there to be honest

South West Sky Blue

I'd take him, at the right price, as always. Maybe the cunning plan of him looking a bit shoddy at times is so he ends up cheap ;)
Osti has been arguably the 2nd best player this season (after CoH). Hamer still has time to do something about that, he's just a bit off the boil for the last couple months - by his high standards.
I'd have a hard on if we got Osti back next year. I think the chances are minimal at best (of Osti coming back!). Reading his interviews and seeing his character - he's very ambitious and confident in his ability. There was a good interview posted on this forum a few months ago. I expect him to think (understandably) he'll be better off with a more established team. I'm sure he'll want first team action at Brighton. When that doesn't happen, I expect he'll want better than us.

Sky Blue Harry H

Agree with all of that - we have suffered (including with Godden) with the need to get key players back, but then risking them breaking down due to not having the quality within the squad to ease them back more gradually.

ccfcricoh

I find the criticism of McCallum really difficult to understand.

I would say only O'Hare and Hamer have been better than him this season. Considering he has been on loan his commitment and attitude has been first class.
Not a Mccallum basher by any stretch, but Kelly/Fadz/Osti/James all been better more consistently than Sam this season.

A lot of teams have targeted him and a lot of goals have come from his side (again not saying its purely his fault) but LWB has hardly been a strength this season, not helped by the fact we now only have one player that can play there.

He will only improve at this level though and will no doubt be an established Championship LB/LWB, but i'd be surprised if he gets game time at Norwich before the end of his contract.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

I think we've seen this season that some of our squad are not up to scratch in terms of Championship quality. We know if we stay up, we can't sell 12 players and buy 12. Some will need to stay, and we hope improve.

Sell
Allen - His lack of physical presense has really been shown up in this league. Good League 1 player, but needs to be moved on.
Hyam - His lack of pace will not improve. He's been great for us, but I think we would get a fee for him, and he's a a fine League 1 defender
Wilson - Still some doubts over Marosi, but Wilson is not the answer. At his age, should be a Number 1, and sure he would find a club in League 1 / 2
Baka - Out of contract anyway, but time is up. Had his chances, and wish him all the best.

Keep
Shipley - I'd give him another chance next season. He's young enough to improve. I don't think he'll make it at this level, but happy to be proved wrong.
Biamou - 4th choice striker, I'd keep Max. Yeah, he's missed some chances, but he's also scored some important goals.
McFadz - Possibly not first choice, but another year, just for his leadership alone

Agree with all of your sell/release but I would add to that list of players the following on the basis of staying up:

Rose - if you’re going to highlight lack of speed in Hyam then you have to highlight it for Rose and McFadzean. All three move slower than a BBC Abuse Investigation and lack the positioning or reading of the game to compensate at Championship level. Ostigard is slow off the mark himself but gets his positioning right all the time.

McFadzean - same comments as above but added to the fact that I’m concerned he gives away too many penalties, redcards and chances. Despite being experienced at 33/34, he’s one of the most naive of our defenders, diving in when he shouldn’t and often getting caught in possession.
Could be a good L1 player for someone next year but not Championship level.

Biamou - a massive thank you to him for his effort and application since joining but we can’t afford a striker who can only return 5 goals a season at this level.

Shipley - I’d like to see him go out on loan to a decent League 1 club for the season and give him one last throw of the dice but my gut feeling is he’s not Championship level now and might not ever be....

Bakayoko - no explanation needed. Any club that would want Baka, wouldn’t pay for him, which says a lot.

DaCosta - loan him to a L1 team. Let him learn the English games there and make mistakes at their expense. Re-asses and recall or release based on his improvement.

Wilson - too many mistakes in him like McFadzean. Could be good for someone in League 1.

Allen - lacks pace for the level. Ineffective most games at League 1 and now Championship.

Marosi - not sell but move to number 2 if we could sign a decent keeper.

Last edited:

PVA

Whilst I agree with most of the calls in here on who to sell/release, it seems very unlikely that we'd let 8-10 first teamers go.

That just seems like too much of an overhaul and finding 8-10 quality replacements would be very difficult.

DionDublinsJockstrap

Question Is which players do we need to build a team around.

Definately

Godden
Kelly
O’Hare
Dabo
Eccles
Hamer
Ostigard

Possibly

Pask
Rose
Walker
Hyam
McCallum
Sheaf
Marosi

skybluetony176

Scott Dann's available on a free this year.
Think he’s already linked with Burnley. They apparently (according to newspapers speculation) tried a cheeky bid in January. Doubt we could afford his wages anyway.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread