Championship Potential (3 Viewers)

Greggs

For years we've only had a couple players in the side with the potential to play at a higher level. I was thinking who out of the current 11-15 has the potential to play in the Championship
Marosi. Possible
Dabo. Yes
Rose. Yes
Hyam. Yes
Fadz. No
Mason. Yes
Mccallum. Yes
Kelly. Yes
Westbrooke. Yes
Shipley. Yes
Allen. Yes
Hiwula No
Godden No
Baka No
Max Yes.

Long and boring story short is - we are packed with talented young players with bags of potential. If we do go up this year - or next - we'll just need to add to our foward line! I don't think we'd be far off competing in the Championship if we did!

Grendel

Also we had one season where several players went on to play at a higher level

Grendel

Nice to see the positivity of the first post lasted all of 8 minutes.

Boris Johnson is accused of positivity versus reality

I’ve said before we are competitive all across the field other than the forwards

ccfcricoh

I think in order to survive in the Championship we'd need a fair few changes again... Are the team good enough?

Marosi. Yes
Dabo. Yes
Rose. ?
Hyam. ?
Fadz. No
Mason. Yes
Mccallum. Yes
Kelly. Yes
Westbrooke. ?
Shipley. ?
Allen. ?
Hiwula No
Godden No
Baka No
Max No

I think we could need a more experienced/better CB to play alongside what we have in Rose/Hyam.

Not sure Westbrooke or Shipley would make the step up, haven't even seen Allen in the team yet so couldnt say.

As for strikers, we'd need a whole new start i think.

Esoterica

I would worry about Hyam and Kelly's pace at Champ level and the consistency of Shipley's first touch.

Cavan O'Doherty

There is no way Shipley or Westbrooke are anywhere near championship level. Let’s make no mistake, if we do go up we’d need a serious overhaul to even have a chance of survival.

Magwitch

Charlton started okay this season have dropped down a bit lately but still only six points off the top six, how many new players did they sign this summer ? It’s a tough competitive league but we have some good young players so two things, need to sign two or three good experienced players but then you have to pay the going rate wage wise and/or bring in quality loans.

Liquid Gold

The Championship has moved on so much since we've been there. My mate is a Bristol City season ticket holder so been there a couple of times and the pace of the game is much higher. There is a reason why most of the teams that go up are back down in a season or two.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

I think from the OP's list you could make a case for 'potential' for every player he listed bar Max. I would loved to be proven wrong with future evidence but I have no idea how, with someone with a record such as his so far, a case could be put forward to suggest he is Championship forward.

bawtryneal

Who would have predicted Fleck would make it as a Premier League player.
He is doing very well but is also surrounded by good players.
Makes all the difference who you have alongside you creating space and opportunities.

covcity4life

no way we can say max is championship quality yet

i also wouldnt put mason in that list, mcallum based on his potential yes just about

Irish Sky Blue

You could optimistically say wait until next season and we will know. However, based on the last two summers, I would think that another major overhaul of the team would take place and many in that list would be replaced. Robins doesn’t appear to make choices based on sentiment. Understandable as his job and his reputation as a manager is almost constantly on the line. (Imagine the dogs abuse he would get if we lost 3 in a row).

shmmeee

Very few. But how many were here last year? And how many the year before that? We’ll likely sign most of a new first team in the event of promotion. Even if it’s just picking up scraps and loans.

Some of the young lads might kick on enough, Shipley has come on leaps and bounds this year I think, McCallum has shown potential.

Sky Blue Harry H

In Max's defence, God loves a trier, One thing Max does have in his locker is that he is a tremendous striker of a ball, and has great technique. Decent in the air,Strong, but not the quickest. At present, first name in the attack.

cc84cov

In Max's defence, God loves a trier, One thing Max does have in his locker is that he is a tremendous striker of a ball, and has great technique. Decent in the air,Strong, but not the quickest. At present, first name in the attack.
So was MCNulty mate look how that went

thekidfromstrettoncamp

There is no way Shipley or Westbrooke are anywhere near championship level. Let’s make no mistake, if we do go up we’d need a serious overhaul to even have a chance of survival.
Given by the rapid rise of James Maddison would you not think a similar thing could not happen to these 2 lads who have only played 82 and 22 league games respectivly the improvement made by these lads in those games will not continue.

covboy1987

For years we've only had a couple players in the side with the potential to play at a higher level. I was thinking who out of the current 11-15 has the potential to play in the Championship
Marosi. Possible
Dabo. Yes
Rose. Yes
Hyam. Yes
Fadz. No
Mason. Yes
Mccallum. Yes
Kelly. Yes
Westbrooke. Yes
Shipley. Yes
Allen. Yes
Hiwula No
Godden No
Baka No
Max Yes.

Long and boring story short is - we are packed with talented young players with bags of potential. If we do go up this year - or next - we'll just need to add to our foward line! I don't think we'd be far off competing in the Championship if we did!
Looking at last year's promoted teams Barnsley bottom of the table -Luton 4th bottom Charlton 8th bottom - think the only players that would cut it at championship level would be Marosi who has really impressed in his short time at Cov -possibly Max and Dabo

Covstu

For me it would be:
marosi - yes
Dabo. no
Rose. Unsure but probably no
Hyam. Yes
Fadz. No
Mason. Maybe
Mccallum. Yes if developed this year
Kelly. No
Westbrooke. In 2 years time yes
Shipley. No
Allen. No
Hiwula No
Godden No
Baka No
Max no

the step up is huge and most of our squad would struggle to make that jump

SlowerThanPlatt

Looking at last year's promoted teams Barnsley bottom of the table -Luton 4th bottom Charlton 8th bottom - think the only players that would cut it at championship level would be Marosi who has really impressed in his short time at Cov -possibly Max and Dabo

Biamou is the 3 out of our squad? Based on what exactly? Bakayoko has proved more at the level we’re currently at and he’s five years younger.

There seems to be two sides of extreme opinions for Biamou - one which is convinced he’s not good enough for League 1 and the other convinced he’s good enough for the Championship.

Last edited:

stupot07

For me it would be:
marosi - yes
Dabo. no
Rose. Unsure but probably no
Hyam. Yes
Fadz. No
Mason. Maybe
Mccallum. Yes if developed this year
Kelly. No
Westbrooke. In 2 years time yes
Shipley. No
Allen. No
Hiwula No
Godden No
Baka No
Max no

the step up is huge and most of our squad would struggle to make that jump

This but I think Dabo and Kelly are 'possibly' and Allen is a 'don't know' as I havent seen him play.

The gulf in quality between league one and the championship is big.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Adge

Massive gulf and I’m really surprised that some people have choose to put most of the team being good enough for the Championship with their Sky blue tinted glasses.

Possibly Hyam/Rose and McCallum and that would be it.

Legia Sky Blue

I think the OP used the term 'potential'. Given the young age of our team it has to be feasible that the likes of Marosi, Dabo, Hyam, Rose, McCallum, Westbrooke and Shipley could step up if their careers were to carry on with upward progression. O'Hara can also do that, but he isn't our player.

Users who are viewing this thread