CET: Richard shaw sacked (1 Viewer)

skyblu3sk

ASSISTANT BOSS fOLLOwS ThORN OUT ThE RICOh DOOR

COVENTRY City have sacked assistant manager Richard Shaw * less than four months after he returned to the club and barely six weeks after he was assured his job was safe.
The Sky Blues legend was drafted in by Andy Thorn in June following the departure of Steve Harrison, reuniting the former Crystal Palace team-mates for the first time since they hung up their boots.

And when Thorn was axed three games into the League One cam paign, development director Steve Waggott insisted that his replacement would have to work with the backroom staff, declaring: “We've had discussions with Richard Shaw and Lee Carsley because historically what happens in football is that a manager comes in and brings his entire backroom staff, physios, everybody he's worked with, everybody he thinks he can trust.

“That can't be the case here * one we can't afford it and two it wouldn't be right because these are two ambitious guys with their own ideas who have just wiped their feet on the welcome mat.“

Shaw, who chalked up over 350 appearances during his ten-yearspell with the Sky Blues, was installed as caretaker manager and, after opening with a spectacular Capital One Cup win against Birmingham City, admitted that he wanted the job full-time.

A sequence of four successive league defeats wrecked that ambition but City confirmed that he was on their three-man shortlist before appointing Mark Robins who, within 24 hours of taking charge, drafted in Steve Taylor, his right-hand man at Barnsley and Rotherham, as the club's new first-team coach.

Taylor was full of praise for his new colleagues, declaring: “I know Lee Carsley from when I coached him at Derby and Richard Shaw has been fantastic as has Steve Ogrizovic and I'm really looking forward to working with everybody.“

And although Shaw was given a watching brief in the stands for Robins's first match against Carlisle, he has been alongside the new boss on the bench since then and played a full part in the pre-match routines. Yesterday, however, he was informed that his services were no longer required. And although it is expected that the club will cite financial reasons for the decision they will now have to compensate him for the rest of his three-year contract in addition to paying off Thorn.

Shaw, who earned huge respect from the fans for his consistent, totally committed performances in sky blue, won Player of the Year in 1998/99 and Players' Player of the Year in 2002/03, and was granted a testimonial year in 2005/06 before he left the club to play for Millwall where he developed his coaching career.

torchomatic

No surprise really. He was hardly a "winner" while he was here was he?

pusbccfc

Can't believe we've got rid of him if we have to pay a 3 year deal off.
What sausages come up with these long term deals!

Grendel

No surprise really. He was hardly a "winner" while he was here was he?

Sadly not. Demonstrated a complete lack of appetite for responsibility when given some. Had to go.

D

Deleted member 4232

I heard it was his man who scored the first against York, and he refused to pay the fine. Sacked.

The guy showed that he doesn't really have any managerial Nouce when he was given the chance. It's no surprise that he isn't a suitable assistant given his COMPLETE failing when acting as caretaker.

torchomatic

Agree Block19. If we want success then we have to get rid of all Thorn's backroom staff.

Walking Bird

Im glad to see Robins is in charge not Waggot. For far too long the tail has wagged the dog at CCFC. :claping hands:

Bad Boy

I agree Block19, he may be seen as a legend, but take it from me he's a thoroughly dislikeable person, he's rude and arrogant.

He almost destroyed an old chum of mine son's career in the way he went about telling him he wouldn't make the grade at the city.

Yes we need to start afresh and stop living in the past.

The premiership and '87 days are well and truly over.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Agree Block19. If we want success then we have to get rid of all Thorn's backroom staff.

If you refer to Oggy from previous post, Torchy, then I suggest that Oggy is more Don Mackay's backroom staff! 28 years? Must be looking for a gold watch by now! :p

covcity4life

probably for the best if we want robins to feel comfortable but W&F need to think before they make promises

feel for shaw, wernt his fault that thorn was shit and sisu not forward thinking.

ccfcway

4 months work for 3 years pay, nice.

He must be on par with David Bell...

The revolving door continues !

Tank Top

Sorry to see him treated so badly, but he's getting a tidy sum in compensation,
They're making a film about it..And calling it........"THE SHAW SACK REDEMPTION".
"Sorry Richard"......Tankie

Jack's Dad

Shaw will only get 3 years pay if he is out of a job for the next 3 years. As soon as he gets a new job, hopefully soon, his payment from CCFC will stop, thats how it works...

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
was always likely to happen .......... will depend on his contract terms what the settlement is but i would expect full pay till gets another equivalent or better job (ie paid as much).

Think some of the judgements on his managerial career at CCFC are a little harsh...... everyone and his dog realised that major changes were needed in structure, procedure, attitude etc ..... a caretaker manager is never going to do that. I would also guess he knew he wasnt really a first choice for the job either. To change it then it had to be done by someone with no connection to Thorne or Coventry in the past....... again if you think coldly about it that was pretty self evident too. It all took far too long and Shaw took the blame for stagnation and indecision. That said he never was the choice for me to be manager

Thing that bothers me ...... because am not too bothered he is gone in all truth......... is that we gave him a 3 year contract when the board had doubts about AT, when we all know managers and coaches at many clubs do not last 3 years (oggy aside), that pronouncements were made about him by the club that were clearly nothing more than hot air and not backed up. Financially as with much else at CCFC it hasnt and doesnt make a lot of sense. Yet there is a growing band of supporters that sing the praises of the board etc for their financial/management skills. The issue is trust............. it always has been............

Look at what is said, remember it, then match it against what is actually done .............. you wont be saying "snap" very often:whistle:

Last edited:

Sick Boy

I thought that it had already been decided how great a coach Shaw was? I was even called a liar for claiming that Shaw was sacked by Millwall (despite being told by over 10 millwall fans.)

Glad to see h is gone, it was Thorn's way of bleeding even more money out of the club by handing out jobs 'for the boys'.

scroobiustom

Big fan of Shaw personally, can't help but feel to much too soon for him.

Would love to see him go to Nuneaton (add other lower/ non-league side) and build a reputation then come back to manage us one day.

Good Luck mate

Mucca Mad Boys

Before I start, Shaw is 1 of my favourites CCFC players of all time.

But, he deserved the sack, clearly wasn't up to the task, his tenure as caretaker manager was embarrassing and NO ONE should feel bad for his sacking, he's getting paid for the mediocre job he done.

He should apologise to the fans.

aodea

Shaw was a playing legend in my eyes. However this is the correct move for the club> robbins needs to have full focus and shaw was apparently very paly with some players. Its nothing against Shaw but Robbins is the biss and shud be comfortable and may have not been with shaw there who was after the job and would still take it if offered.

rob9872

Agree with the decision but I can't have all this criticism of Oggy without a response. If you don't like him that's fine, your opinion to which you are entitled, but illogical to think about ousting him.

Goalkeeping is not the area for concern where we have consistently recruited and performed well. Not only is Oggy Mr Coventry City, but was not a Thorn man as he was here pre-Thorn. He is solid, dependable has a good reputation, is well respected in the game and is part of the fabric.

I do agree that a 'root and branches' transformation is required, but to lose him would be not only our final link to days past, but also unfair, unnecessary and ultimately pointless.

sky_blue_up_north

We have to move forward and any one is not up the standard has to be moved on. This goes from the board right down the academy (although I don't see SW or TF leaving any time soon). For far to long we have settled for second best and sentiment, time to move on. Good players don't always make good coaches or managers. Some of the greatest have fail dismally, Bobby Moore, Bobby Charlton to name a couple. I don't expect him to be last and Robins starts get down to the fat. Let the clear out continue and hopefully improve the club over all.

WestEndAgro

Agree with the decision but I can't have all this criticism of Oggy without a response. If you don't like him that's fine, your opinion to which you are entitled, but illogical to think about ousting him.

Goalkeeping is not the area for concern where we have consistently recruited and performed well. Not only is Oggy Mr Coventry City, but was not a Thorn man as he was here pre-Thorn. He is solid, dependable has a good reputation, is well respected in the game and is part of the fabric.

I do agree that a 'root and branches' transformation is required, but to lose him would be not only our final link to days past, but also unfair, unnecessary and ultimately pointless.

I have said Oggy should go, I have stated many times that he is the ONLY ever present in all these years of decline, he is a miserable sod, couldn't motivate me with his demeanour.
He gets rewarded with no doubt a huge wage and he can barely raise a smile! Hope he is next.

LJC_CCFC

I have said Oggy should go, I have stated many times that he is the ONLY ever present in all these years of decline, he is a miserable sod, couldn't motivate me with his demeanour.
He gets rewarded with no doubt a huge wage and he can barely raise a smile! Hope he is next.

Yes our years of decline are all down to Oggy - makes perfect sense:facepalm:

WestEndAgro

Yes our years of decline are all down to Oggy - makes perfect sense:facepalm:

What does he bring to the Party then ?

feck all in my opinion, unless you can tell me otherwise

He makes Jack Dee look like Cris Akabusi

Last edited:

LJC_CCFC

Keys giving his negative views again on talksport, nobhead never has a word to say when we win but whenever anything 'bad' like shaw being sacked happens he is all over it:jerkit:

olderskyblue

Look at what is said, remember it, then match it against what is actually done .............. you wont be saying "snap" very often:whistle:

Whist this is true OSB58, there are always 2 sides to every story, and this time I find it encouraging that the Manager seems to have got what he wanted even after all the "their jobs are safe" rhetoric.

All the other managers have seemed to work to SISU rules, pretty much without a fight, but MR looks like he is taking a different course..... Very encouraging if true.

zuniga

Personally I don't feel we owe Oggy a living and if he was anybody else he'd have been sacked from the coaching staff a long time ago. He may not be a bad coach but the entire club needs a complete overhaul and a shift in culture, and it must be difficult to do that with Oggy still hanging around after all these years. He must think he's untouchable and surely that isn't something Robins wants at the club - no one should be employed entirely on sentiment, and if his presence at the club is holding us back then he needs to go too. A clean broom throughout the club is what we need IMO, clear out the failures and bring in staff who can contribute to a change in mentality at the club and raise the incredibly poor standards we've come to accept over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread