CET: On thorn sacking, Thorn Speaks (1 Viewer)

skyblu3sk

fired after only four games of season club: it was more than just the results
COVENTRY City are today looking for their 11th manager in 11 years after sacking Andy Thorn four matches into the new season.

Thorn's assistants Richard Shaw and Lee Carsley ­ both former Sky Blues favourites ­ have been put in temporary charge of team affairs, starting with tomorrow night's Capital One Cup derby against Birmingham City at the Ricoh Arena.
But chief executive Tim Fisher said that the club intend to take their time “to ensure we appoint a manager to help us mount a serious challenge for promotion“.
Thorn, who was handed a new rolling one-year contract at the end of last season despite City's relegation to the third tier for the first time since 1954, has no doubt that ambition will be achieved this term. And although he refused to comment on his dismissal after 60 matches in charge that produced 13 wins, 20 draws and 27 defeats, he paid a warm tribute to the Sky Blues supporters.
SACKED BOSS HAS FAITH IN SQUAD ANDY Thorn today said goodbye to Coventry City's supporters ­ and assured them that they will be able to celebrate a return to the Championship next Spring.

Thorn was sacked yesterday morning less than a fortnight into a new season which had seen the Sky Blues draw their first three League One fixtures and clinch a Capital One Cup tie at home to Birmingham City tomorrow evening.
And he told the Telegraph last night: “I'm obviously bitterly, bitterly disappointed. I think I've put a squad together that should get promoted, that will get promoted whoever takes over.
“It's very early in the season but we were starting to gel and look a team and I am really sad that I won't be able to help see that through.
“I'd just like to wish the players and the fans all the luck that they deserve ­ especially the supporters because they have been absolutely tremendous to me since I took over and it has been an absolute privilege to work for them.“
After the Telegraph broke the news yesterday lunchtime, the club issued a statement confirming: “Coventry City have parted company with manager Andy Thorn. Assistant manager Richard Shaw and first-team coach Lee Carsley will take temporary charge of team affairs.“
Chief executive Tim Fisher said: “We have not taken this decision lightly. We recognised that last season there were off-the-field matters that affected team affairs and felt it was right and proper to give Andy the chance to put that right over the course of the summer and the start of the season.
“We do not feel that has happened. Of course, the fact that we have surrendered the lead in the first three league games has not helped but there are several other factors in this decision ­ not just three disappointing results.
“Richard and Lee will take charge of first-team affairs and we feel that will give us time to ensure we appoint a manager to help us mount a serious challenge for promotion.
“We would like to put on record our thanks to Andy for his work in current and previous roles at the club.“
Development director Steve Waggott added: “We have been working tirelessly behind the scenes to assemble a squad to support Andy that is capable of pushing for promotion this season.
“There is no doubting the ability in the squad ­ you saw that in the first half against Bury and in much of the second half against Sheffield United. “It's vital now that we all pull together as a club and ensure that we start to win matches in the next few weeks.“

pusbccfc

Would have been nice for him to come out and say something about his backing!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
What else could he say? Wasn't his fault?

Covstu

Good luck to him, in an impossible role particularly last year but sadly didnt have the ability. Good scout though!

RichieGunns

And dont waste your pay off on pies

You know some people are heartless. Your one of them...

As for Thorn I wish him all the best. Nice guy, just not a manager.

And a side note...at least Waggott didn't call then Shawsey and Carso LMAO :D

Steve.B50

I agree, good luck to Thorn, he was never a Manger but always a decent man. He can relax now and maybe top up his tan lol

Shaw would do ok, decent sort of person and I suggest we give him a few weeks,

jabharty

I hope that the board might see sense and sign him back up as a scout, but if there truly has been some "bad relations" between the 2 parties then I don't see it happening.
All the best Andy!

BenInTurin

Facebook User
What a bunch of idiots up at the city. As has been said, all that has come out of this is we're now one league lower and we've lost a decent scout. Why didn't they get rid of him at the end of last season, they simply don't have a clue!

RichieGunns

I hope that the board might see sense and sign him back up as a scout, but if there truly has been some "bad relations" between the 2 parties then I don't see it happening.
All the best Andy!

Linnell said yesterday that when he spoke to Thorn on the phone, Thorn was adamant he is not staying at city so yeah we've lost a decent scout :/

Ashdown

You only have to read the first 3 paragraphs of that article to see why Thorn has really gone ! Its the bit that refers to them taking their time............in other words, look forward to Carsley and that thicko Shaw running team affairs from now on. There will be no new manager. A couple more draws and SISU will big up the promising pairing. Same old same old...........more fucking cost cutting !!

Grendel

You only have to read the first 3 paragraphs of that article to see why Thorn has really gone ! Its the bit that refers to them taking their time............in other words, look forward to Carsley and that thicko Shaw running team affairs from now on. There will be no new manager. A couple more draws and SISU will big up the promising pairing. Same old same old...........more fucking cost cutting !!

Ridiculous statement on Shaw - totaly unjustified.

There was no cost cutting last time - a manager was lined up but Thorn became so popular we stuck with him.

Sutty

No doubt his heart was in the right place, I wanted him to succeed but he was a bit out his depth.

I wish him every success in the future, whichever career path he goes down.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Decent man, thanks for your efforts Thorn.

I think it's safe to say at the end of his tenure, he tried! There's no doubting that. It's just sometimes your best isnt enough.

I think if he reflects back on his time as manager he will agree it didn't work out! He had a method, he tried to input that method but for some reason, whether it's because certain personell didn't get on with it, it just wasn't going to happen for CCFC.

All the best or the future Andy! Some club will be lucky to have you as a scout. Even for the odd duff player you brought in, you found a diamond or two who we may not have brought to the club without your scouting. And please bear that in mind in your future exploits - your a scout, not a manager! (unless the Villa or Leicester approach you. In these cases, it's the managers job you want :) )

Sick Boy

Feel very sorry for AT, managed the club through one of, if not the worst, in its history and got nothing but stick thrown at him from all quarters.

He had far more support from the fans than any other manager we have had in recent years.

Even now some are speaking of him like he is some sort of footballing God who has passed away.

Sutty

Don't think there was ever any chance of him staying on as a scout. A former manager knocking about the place would only ever undermine the new manager.

CCFCSteve

You only have to read the first 3 paragraphs of that article to see why Thorn has really gone ! Its the bit that refers to them taking their time............in other words, look forward to Carsley and that thicko Shaw running team affairs from now on. There will be no new manager. A couple more draws and SISU will big up the promising pairing. Same old same old...........more fecking cost cutting !!

I don't think the decision was down to cost cutting at all. Whatever people think of sisu etc they have brought in a fair few players this summer (more than most expected). They probably had misgivings about thorn last season but gave him a chance (a small one maybe) to get off to a flyer this season which hasnt happened. How many leads have we let slip over the last 12 months ??? The goals conceded in the last 5 mins alone last season sent us down ! It's unacceptable and suggests the players may well have been good enough to keep us up but tactically we were poor.

I like thorn as a bloke and wanted him to take us back up but second half Saturday was an embarrassment. It's bad enough throwing away points and leads in the championship but we were out thought and out manoeuvred by bury !!!

Jimmy Hill's Chin

Wish him all the best. He wasn't a good manager and this is the right decision but doesn't mean people have to be celebrating that someone has lost their job. He leaves with his dignity intact.

wingy

While the majority of pundits and fans saw 10-12 games as a benchmark for judgement ,Richard Shaws emphasis on this particular match being a measure may suggest prior warnings from the board.

skybluereeve

While the majority of pundits and fans saw 10-12 games as a benchmark for judgement ,Richard Shaws emphasis on this particular match being a measure may suggest prior warnings from the board.

Wingy you normally help me out:p not getting much info here in oxford, what did fisher say?? are they looking to replace or will they choose the cheap option. Thanks Bud

wingy

Wingy you normally help me out:p not getting much info here in oxford, what did fisher say?? are they looking to replace or will they choose the cheap option. Thanks Bud[/QUOTE

Sorry Reeve hav'nt listened to his interview as such ,will try and put a a beeb link up if its feasable nyou may then be able to listen to it.:)

WeWillBeBack

I have a sneaky feeling that Thorn wasn't the 'nice guy' that everyone thought he was. After matches it came close to fisticuffs on a number of occasions apparently..

Yorkshire SB

He had far more support from the fans than any other manager we have had in recent years.

Even now some are speaking of him like he is some sort of footballing God who has passed away.

No one is talking about him like that, all people are saying is that when judging Thorn you must consider the external variables that plagued his managerial time at City.
Therefore the support came for Thorn because the majority of the fans could understand he had a huge task to keep us up last season.
The club sold Jutkiewicz in January last season, it was at that point that they accepted relegation, therefore I do not believe Thorn is to blame for last season, and must be judged on this season and whatever you say THREE games is not enough!

Yorkshire SB

I have a sneaky feeling that Thorn wasn't the 'nice guy' that everyone thought he was. After matches it came close to fisticuffs on a number of occasions apparently..

Yeah I have a feeling this could also be true. Hard bloke though, part of the Wimbledon, 'Crazy Gang'. Although the plenty of successful managers have come to blows with players, SAF, Tony Pulis and Di Canio but to name a few!

Users who are viewing this thread