CET: Council accused of cover up over ricoh (1 Viewer)

skyblu3sk

COVENTRY City Council has been accused of a “cover-up“ over Ricoh stadium rent and ownership talks with the Sky Blues.

Councillor Kevin Foster, Conservative opposition leader, claims he has been told leading Labour councillors have been unusually invited to sign `confidentiality agreements' ­ to stop them publicly disclosing any details about the talks.
He had also tabled written questions about Ricoh negotiations, to be answered by council leaders in public at next Tuesday's council meeting.
But he claims he was astonished to be told the entire matter would be moved to the private part of the meeting, to be discussed in secret, in an “unprecedented“ move.
When he questioned why some issues could not be discussed in public, excluding any commercially confidential material, he received an emailed explanation from council lawyer Christine Forde marked `Private and confidential'.
It comes amid ongoing negotiations between the deficit-hit Division One football club and the joint owners of Ricoh management company Arena Coventry Limited (ACL) ­ the council and Alan Edwards Higgs Charity.
The club and its hedge fund owners want ACL to lower its £1.2million-ayear rent, and to buy a stake in ACL to get extra income from the stadium's commercial activities, including its hotel, conferences and concerts.
Council leader John Mutton has publicly stated the council's 50 per cent shares in ACL are not for sale, and the council would only authorise a buy-out of the Higgs Trust's shares that was in the interests of council taxpayers, and job creation plans around the stadium.
Coun Foster's written questions, available on next Tuesday's agenda on the council website, asked whether that was still the position; and what role Coun Mutton had played in rent talks (with council executives Martin Reeves and Chris West being ACL board members).
It follows reports in the Telegraph the Sky Blues had rejected an ACL offer to halve the rent to £650,000.
Coun Foster also questioned whether all councillors would be able to debate and vote on any agreement, and whether council leaders had set a threshold for future income from ACL.
Coun Foster accused Coun Mutton of avoiding “scrutiny of his involvement in an issue that is key to the future of Coventry City FC.“
He said it was “unprecedented“ for the council to indicate it would only answer written questions to council is a secret session, preventing the public from hearing the debate ­ and that the move should have been approved in public by councillors.
Coun Foster said: “This clumsy at tempt at a cover-up means that even before kick-off the leadership of the council has scored a spectacular own goal.“
He added: “Over recent months, Coun Mutton has made statements about the on-going situation in public, but now wants to hide behind closed doors.
“I accept a detailed financial breakdown of any proposals being made or a running commentary on sensitive negotiations cannot be provided in public session.
“Yet it is impossible to see the justification for no response being given, other than avoiding potential political embarrassment for the leader.“
Coventry City FC and ACL issued a joint statement saying talks on reaching a `mutually acceptable' rent level were progressing but had been delayed by the Olympics. No comment was offered on stadium ownership.

CJparker

The problem with a potential NDA is that if the council have signed one, they may well be prevented by its terms from confirming that they have signed it!

sky blue john

How the fuck have Sisu forced the council to sign an nda.
I find this disgraceful from the council no reason for it. This information should be in the public domain !!!!!

torchomatic

A Tory? He will be lying.

Ricoh2012

COVENTRY City Council has been accused of a “cover-up“ over Ricoh stadium rent and ownership talks with the Sky Blues.

Councillor Kevin Foster, Conservative opposition leader, claims he has been told leading Labour councillors have been unusually invited to sign `confidentiality agreements' * to stop them publicly disclosing any details about the talks.
He had also tabled written questions about Ricoh negotiations, to be answered by council leaders in public at next Tuesday's council meeting.
But he claims he was astonished to be told the entire matter would be moved to the private part of the meeting, to be discussed in secret, in an “unprecedented“ move.
When he questioned why some issues could not be discussed in public, excluding any commercially confidential material, he received an emailed explanation from council lawyer Christine Forde marked `Private and confidential'.
It comes amid ongoing negotiations between the deficit-hit Division One football club and the joint owners of Ricoh management company Arena Coventry Limited (ACL) * the council and Alan Edwards Higgs Charity.
The club and its hedge fund owners want ACL to lower its £1.2million-ayear rent, and to buy a stake in ACL to get extra income from the stadium's commercial activities, including its hotel, conferences and concerts.
Council leader John Mutton has publicly stated the council's 50 per cent shares in ACL are not for sale, and the council would only authorise a buy-out of the Higgs Trust's shares that was in the interests of council taxpayers, and job creation plans around the stadium.
Coun Foster's written questions, available on next Tuesday's agenda on the council website, asked whether that was still the position; and what role Coun Mutton had played in rent talks (with council executives Martin Reeves and Chris West being ACL board members).
It follows reports in the Telegraph the Sky Blues had rejected an ACL offer to halve the rent to £650,000.
Coun Foster also questioned whether all councillors would be able to debate and vote on any agreement, and whether council leaders had set a threshold for future income from ACL.
Coun Foster accused Coun Mutton of avoiding “scrutiny of his involvement in an issue that is key to the future of Coventry City FC.“
He said it was “unprecedented“ for the council to indicate it would only answer written questions to council is a secret session, preventing the public from hearing the debate * and that the move should have been approved in public by councillors.
Coun Foster said: “This clumsy at tempt at a cover-up means that even before kick-off the leadership of the council has scored a spectacular own goal.“
He added: “Over recent months, Coun Mutton has made statements about the on-going situation in public, but now wants to hide behind closed doors.
“I accept a detailed financial breakdown of any proposals being made or a running commentary on sensitive negotiations cannot be provided in public session.
“Yet it is impossible to see the justification for no response being given, other than avoiding potential political embarrassment for the leader.“
Coventry City FC and ACL issued a joint statement saying talks on reaching a `mutually acceptable' rent level were progressing but had been delayed by the Olympics. No comment was offered on stadium ownership.

The joint statement was just bull to stop and worries from fans.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Signing an NDA during negotiations. For once I can agree why SISU would ask for such. Otherwise, the debate would be subject to incessant questioning from those simply trying to make a name for themselves. I'm sure the council wouldn't sign up to a deal whereby they would agree to a deal without it being discussed in the council chambers; but this is very different to discussing progress on sensitive issues on a weekly basis.

I am very, very wary of councillors. Especially Tory ones. A non-story from someone who's just upset he doesn't know all the big boy's secrets

True, but met this bloke when I was doing community work. Wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.

I also met him during a council photo shoot for some crappy new initiative. He wasnt interested just fulfilling a role but he is an avid City supporter, we talked about the troubles for at least half an hour. You can all say what you like about not trusting him but i found him honest and really bothered by the clubs plight. He said he would speak out if he needed too, looks like he was telling the truth. Why would he put his job on the line by stirring up shit unless it was true. i say fair play to him, it needs more people to ask questions.

wingy

This being the guy that while the rest of the midlands shifted Blue,the one safe blue seat in coventry turned red.His prospective constituency,this failure was promptly followed in the first week of the new gov with the announcement of 1000 job losses in the said constituency,Coincidence of course.:mad::(

Mary_Mungo_Midge

The whole essence of how councils work is to cause trouble to the detriment of their opposition. For example, if the planning committee controller by Labour, they're happy to pass planning in Tory wards. Thereby making the incumbent councillor unpopular. That's, alas, the game.

I'm not saying the chap you met doesn't care. He might. Equally if an NDA is on place, he should honour it instead of insinuating its something underhand. It's probably not

This being the guy that while the rest of the midlands shifted Blue,the one safe blue seat in coventry turned red.His prospective constituency,this failure was promptly followed in the first week of the new gov with the announcement of 1000 job losses in the said constituency,Coincidence of course.:mad::(

Sorry Wingy i dont get politics, ive no idea what your on about, he maybe a shit poitician, as i said i dont get it . I meant he was being honest about City's plight and has the bollocks to stand up and be counted.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

The whole essence of how councils work is to cause trouble to the detriment of their opposition. For example, if the planning committee is controlled by Labour, they're happy to pass planning in Tory wards. Thereby making the incumbent councillor unpopular. That's, alas, the game.

I'm not saying the chap you met doesn't care. He might. Equally if an NDA is on place, he should honour it instead of insinuating its something underhand. It's probably not

wingy

Sorry Wingy i dont get politics, ive no idea what your on about, he maybe a shit poitician, as i said i dont get it . I meant he was being honest about City's plight and has the bollocks to stand up and be counted.
Fair enough STB i was going off on one ,prejudices and all that ,but this chap has big ambitions and any chance of the limelight ,he willl attempt to exploit,so from your memory would he think the council should rollover to Sisu demands or stand firm .

The whole essence of how councils work is to cause trouble to the detriment of their opposition. For example, if the planning committee is controlled by Labour, they're happy to pass planning in Tory wards. Thereby making the incumbent councillor unpopular. That's, alas, the game.

The reason i got talking to him was because he turned up in a sharp suit, but wearing a City scarf to an official council function. I asked him why and he said he always takes it with him and that he was a season ticket holder for a long time, but i suppose that could be lies as well, but so could any post by anyone.

cloughie

Shame some of these politicians don't have the balls to say things when they are in power

Typical Tory Sh*t

Mary_Mungo_Midge

The reason i got talking to him was because he turned up in a sharp suit, but wearing a City scarf to an official council function. I asked him why and he said he always takes it with him and that he was a season ticket holder for a long time, but i suppose that could be lies as well, but so could any post by anyone.

I am an astronaut

Fair enough STB i was going off on one ,prejudices and all that ,but this chap has big ambitions and any chance of the limelight ,he willl attempt to exploit,so from your memory would he think the council should rollover to Sisu demands or stand firm .

When i met him it was last winter and he was adament the council would not sell to sisu because the council doubted there intentions, basically the same feelings we have all had

wingy

When i met him it was last winter and he was adament the council would not sell to sisu because the council doubted there intentions, basically the same feelings we have all had

So he feels the opposite may happen?? However it will have to go to a full vote,the machinations of it all hey.

cloughie

The confidentiality clause regarding the rent outstanding etc

Mutton you seem to be backtracking and hiding

Disgraceful

wingy

The confidentiality clause regarding the rent outstanding etc

Mutton you seem to be backtracking and hiding

Disgraceful
Did you note Linnel doing Sisu bidding last night, bringing up the fact that articles had appeared in the CT while TF responded " Can't Comment NDA" ,not over the Ffffing rent there Is'nt

stupot07

Sisu aren't looking to buy the Ricoh, they are looking to buy shares in ACL, the company that has the 50 year lease on the Ricoh. If the club bought shares in ACl, the Council would still own the Ricoh.

cloughie

NO!!!

the council own the freehold and ACL own 50% of the leasehold and Higgs own 50 % of the leasehold

I will waver from saying your talking ......................

georgehudson

all humans who purport to follow a political ideology have one thing in mind,
in my opinion, that is to make themselves as valuable & important as possible,
i'm bored by this continual posturing by wanabees who seek only to elevate themselves,
i try to follow a straight process, as far as football is concerned, & that is,
CCFC,
PUSB

wingy

No, your wrong. The council own the freehold and ACL own 100% of the 50 year freehold.

ACL is owned by 50% Council and 50% Higgs

http://moderngov.coventry.gov.uk/Da...08 - arena construction completion report.pdf

And here lies the dilemna Stu,a very good working relationship exists between the two .Is it concievable for a decent marriage to exist between Whoever Sisu decide to place on the board of ACL and the council side,highly unlikely .For the council to approve the transfer of Higgs requires a massive leap of faith.There are several complications to this Idea of the club benefitting from revenue streams not least the commercial agreement with Compass which I think has 7 years to run.

stupot07

And here lies the dilemna Stu,a very good working relationship exists between the two .Is it concievable for a decent marriage to exist between Whoever Sisu decide to place on the board of ACL and the council side,highly unlikely .For the council to approve the transfer of Higgs requires a massive leap of faith.There are several complications to this Idea of the club benefitting from revenue streams not least the commercial agreement with Compass which I think has 7 years to run.

Completely agree with those sentiments Wingy. I just feel that sometimes people get confused between owning shares in the leasehold (ACL) and the actual stadium ownership.

B

Bobby Firenze

all humans who purport to follow a political ideology have one thing in mind,
in my opinion, that is to make themselves as valuable & important as possible,
i'm bored by this continual posturing by wanabees who seek only to elevate themselves,
i try to follow a straight process, as far as football is concerned, & that is,
CCFC,
PUSB

Seriously, whisky tango foxtrot?

Users who are viewing this thread