CCFC- what do we want on Match-days? (1 Viewer)

M&B Stand

Ha. Pop & crisps days are a blast from the past! The fat lobby would be up in arms for turning kids obese these days!

As for confiscating bottle tops, that's hilarious! I bet that health & safety practice has saved thousands of lives over the years!

Otis

Maybe that's what some folk are doing, hence the dwindling gates. Is it wrong to try something different to increase attendances? To increase revenue? To increase the amount the club can spend on transfers or wages?

Like most people here have said, a winning team (blah, blah) is what would work best. Totally. However, the reality is that bridges need to be built and the 'match day experience' needs to rival the alternative many 'fans' have chosen.

No, we shouldn't do anything to increase revenue. It is just the football and nothing else. No-one is interested in anything else.

We should just make everyone arrive late and kids be strapped into their sky blue seats for 90 mins, with no entertainment whatsoever.

We should never, ever try anything different.... EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:facepalm:

Grendel

With all due respect. Why the hell do you go to a decidedly below average League 2 side then? That's far better football matches happening all over the place and on TV, if all you want is to watch a good game and the atmosphere and environment doesn't matter, why leave the house at all?

No one would go to a game for anything other than watching the team.

Seeing some hammed up performance from some mascots, a few cheap flags to wave around or some penalty shootouts with some old legend you've never heard of in goal will not enhance anyone's experience if we are 3 up at half time. However no doubt the entertainment would be viewed as good enough then.

Conversely if the red arrows did a display, anyone's favourite rock band turned up at half time and we were getting a pasting no one will feel they are having an enhanced experience.

It's the 90 minutes that matters not before after or in the middle.

mrtrench

I want carnival. I want dancing girls; snake charmers; steel bands; flags waving in the air; politicians in naked oil wrestling competitions; gladiators fighting to the death with Tim Fisher playing the part of Caesar; Cossack racing; tattooed ladies and a house of mirrors.

Only then will I return to home games.

Samo

No one would go to a game for anything other than watching the team.

Seeing some hammed up performance from some mascots, a few cheap flags to wave around or some penalty shootouts with some old legend you've never heard of in goal will not enhance anyone's experience if we are 3 up at half time. However no doubt the entertainment would be viewed as good enough then.

Conversely if the red arrows did a display, anyone's favourite rock band turned up at half time and we were getting a pasting no one will feel they are having an enhanced experience.

It's the 90 minutes that matters not before after or in the middle.

You don't think a child might be keener to attend if he/she was going to meet players, win a prize, get a free flag, get their face painted, play a game, etc?

Last edited:

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
Yes, but if you were a 5 year old and your dad wants to take you to watch the rubbish we have seen this year or go and play a bit of Xbox etc and them watch a game, what do you think is more preferable to the child

Macca

With all due respect. Why the hell do you go to a decidedly below average League 2 side then? That's far better football matches happening all over the place and on TV, if all you want is to watch a good game and the atmosphere and environment doesn't matter, why leave the house at all?

I don't watch a league 2 side?
Nowhere have I said I'm against all that shit going on just that I'm not interested. I'll give it a berth, have some beers in a spit and sawdust pub and get in at 2.55 :)

Samo

Yes, but if you were a 5 year old and your dad wants to take you to watch the rubbish we have seen this year or go and play a bit of Xbox etc and them watch a game, what do you think is more preferable to the child

I'm not saying the match itself is not important, of course it is and the quality must improve. I'm just saying that for families and kids there are other factors that could play a part. We need to get the kids up there, they are our future.

Otis

You don't think a child might be keener to attend if he/she was going to meet players, win a prize, get a free flag, get their face painted, play a game, etc?

Exactly.

We now live in a very technological world and the Americans have seen that and we need to compete with the XBoxes and the PS4's of this world and try and make the whole day a day of enjoyment.

To turn it on its head, Grendel, if we won 1-0 in a rather dull drab affair, that little bit of extra razzamatazz might make all the difference to a kid wanting to come along to another game.

We need to take the blinkers off. We are not all 30-60 year olds just wanting to see a game. Amongst the fans their are also families and young kids, who want something more.

Took my daughter 3 times and she was bored with the football. Had there been other stuff to look forwards to at half time or at the end of the game, she might well have been tempted to come back again.

You need to look at the whole picture and the entire demographic. Not all fans only want to see the football. Some want a day out too.

I personally just want the football, but I fully understand there are lots out there who want a day out with the family and kids.

Nick

Administrator
Exactly.

We now live in a very technological world and the Americans have seen that and we need to compete with the XBoxes and the PS4's of this world and try and make the whole day a day of enjoyment.

To turn it on its head, Grendel, if we won 1-0 in a rather dull drab affair, that little bit of extra razzamatazz might make all the difference to a kid wanting to come along to another game.

We need to take the blinkers off. We are not all 30-60 year olds just wanting to see a game. Amongst the fans their are also families and young kids, who want something more.

Took my daughter 3 times and she was bored with the football. Had there been other stuff to look forwards to at half time or at the end of the game, she might well have been tempted to come back again.

You need to look at the whole picture and the entire demographic. Not all fans only want to see the football. Some want a day out too.

I personally just want the football, but I fully understand there are lots out there who want a day out with the family and kids.
So your Daughter doesn't like football so you don't take her to games? My daughter isn't interested in train spotting, hence I don't take her train spotting just to be entertained by the magician they might have on. That makes her interested in magicians.

If your Daughter only wanted to go to see the fireworks at half time, then surely she is interested in fireworks and not football?

What next, chess tournaments putting on strippers every time?

Samo

So your Daughter doesn't like football so you don't take her to games? My daughter isn't interested in train spotting, hence I don't take her train spotting just to be entertained by the magician they might have on. That makes her interested in magicians.

Are you having some sort of episode these days Nick? I'll ask the same question I asked G:
Just a straight yes or no answer will do.

Nick

Administrator
Are you having some sort of episode these days Nick? I'll ask the same question I asked G:
Just a straight yes or no answer will do.

Yes, if it is football related then it will help. I was aimed more at the magicians, fair grounds and things nothing to do with football.

Haven't they been giving away prizes already at half time to kids, the jsbs have been doing activities and crafts and stuff at games already.

I remember putting up a post after the Christmas party for example, it seemed to get ignored because it was the club doing something.

Things do happen already, maybe with everybody in the same stand more people will see it?

I am all for the football, sky blue Sam stuff. Just not magicians, fair grounds etc. Take them to see a magician or to a fair.

Samo

If your Daughter only wanted to go to see the fireworks at half time, then surely she is interested in fireworks and not football?

Quite right, they should cancel the beer tent at the Earlsdon Festival, that's for people interested in beer, not music. What a ridiculous argument.

Samo

Yes, if it is football related then it will help. I was aimed more at the magicians, fair grounds and things nothing to do with football.

Haven't they been giving away prizes already at half time to kids, the jsbs have been doing activities and crafts and stuff at games already.

I remember putting up a post after the Christmas party for example, it seemed to get ignored because it was the club doing something.

Things do happen already, maybe with everybody in the same stand more people will see it?

I am all for the football, sky blue Sam stuff. Just not magicians, fair grounds etc. Take them to see a magician or to a fair.

Guess what Nick, people tend to like various things. I think that's ok.

Otis

No, not at all. Nick. I think you are completely missing the point.

My daughter doesn't hate football, just likes the games for about 30 mins and then gets bored. If there were other things to do she would be much more likely to go.

I take it you don't have children. Is that correct?

If I say to my daughter to come to Tesco with me shopping, she will turn her nose up and not want to come. If I then say, okay, if you come to Tesco with me I'll let you go into Game or New Look, she then wants to come.

Think you have missed the point entirely unfortunately and you obviously haven't had to coax your kids to go anywhere.

Last edited:

Otis

Quite right, they should cancel the beer tent at the Earlsdon Festival, that's for people interested in beer, not music. What a ridiculous argument.

It is a ridiculous argument to be fair. I expect better from you, Nick.

I took my daughter to her first game and she was fine. Second time she wasn't as keen to go. As soon as I said she could take her games console to play before the game and maybe at half time, she was suddenly deadly keen.

After the third time she just said she found the football boring. We lost all 3 games and played badly and the atmosphere was dreadful.

Macca

Flipping it back on to its feet, back in the day there was scarcely anywhere to even have a piss but as a kid I couldn't wait for the game. To be fair things have moved on, attention spans are next to zero these days

Nick

Administrator
No, not at all. Nick. I think you are completely missing the point.

My daughter doesn't hate football, just likes the games for about 30 mins and then gets bored. If there were other things to do she would be much more likely to go.

I take it you don't have children. Is that correct?

If I say to my daughter to come to Tesco with me shopping, she will turn her nose up and not want to come. If I then say, okay, is you come to Tesco with me I'll let you go into Game or New Look, she then wants to come.

Think you have missed the point entirely unfortunately and you obviously haven't had to coax your kids to go anywhere.
Yes I have a six year old who comes to most home games, she also gets bored and has been known to fall asleep.

However as soon as it's half time she is down at the front waiting for a high five off sky blue Sam and has won a football a few times.

She's also met all of the players, won a few prizes and loved it which is why I.agree with the football related entertainment as it works, I was just disagreeing with the unrelated stuff.

If she only wanted to go to football every week to go on a fairground ride then I probably wouldn't bother taking her, I'd wait for a big fair and take her there.

Samo

Where have I said it isn't though?

You do seem to be be thinking about this rather rigidly. Can you not see that to entice people to a certain event/place it might be a good idea to provide other things they may enjoy?

rondog1973

Get rid of Carlsberg and replace with something that can honestly claim to be probably the best Lager in the world.

Nick

Administrator
Yes because beer and music is exactly the same as magicians and a football match for example.

Otis

Yes I have a six year old who comes to most home games, she also gets bored and has been known to fall asleep.

However as soon as it's half time she is down at the front waiting for a high five off sky blue Sam and has won a football a few times.

She's also met all of the players, won a few prizes and loved it which is why I.agree with the football related entertainment as it works, I was just disagreeing with the unrelated stuff.

If she only wanted to go to football every week to go on a fairground ride then I probably wouldn't bother taking her, I'd wait for a big fair and take her there.

But can't you see there is something inbetween?

It's not about ONLY going for the football or ONLY going for the fairground ride, it's something inbetween.

Tell you now, if there were fairground rides at half time my little un would be there like a shot every week.

She can last 30 mins at a game. All she would need to do would be to hang on for a further 15 mins to make it to the half time stuff.

Not everyone one is the same. I JUST go for the football, but then I realise not everyone is me and you have to try and cater for as many people as possible.

Whatever is takes to get more people through the gates, I'm all for it.

No-one is forcing anyone to watch brass bands or jugglers or whatever is conjured up, but different things appeal to different people and at the end of the day this is all about getting bums on seats.

We should embrace anything that brings that surely?

Samo

But nobody is saying the other stuff should not be footy related, (although personally I see no reason whatsoever that it needs to be) A magic act can be football themed as can a side stall.

M&B Stand

Just rent a bit of that land the other side of the train tracks where the new station is. Stick a marquee/ beer tent, a penalty comp for kids, sell merchandise, call it a fan zone.

Nick

Administrator

It's not about ONLY going for the football or ONLY going for the fairground ride, it's something inbetween.

Tell you now, if there were fairground rides at half time my little un would be there like a shot every week.

She can last 30 mins at a game. All she would need to do would be to hang on for a further 15 mins to make it to the half time stuff.

Not everyone one is the same. I JUST go for the football, but then I realise not everyone is me and you have to try and cater for as many people as possible.

No-one is forcing anyone to watch brass bands or jugglers or whatever is conjured up, but different things appeal to different people and at the end of the day this is all about getting bums on seats.

The end game should be to get new CCFC supporters, people moan like shit about their kids not supporting CCFC. Did they take them to the JSB party for example? Or did they want CCFC to bring a limo to them to pick them up?

Everything on the matchday should be CCFC related, the aim should be to convert more people to CCFC supporters rather than kids who are bribed to come to go on a roundabout and don't actually like football so as soon as the roundabouts stop, they stop coming.

I agree with things like penalty shootouts, players mingling, sky blue sam and everything CCFC to get the kids loving CCFC. Seeing the kids at the JSB parties is a prime example. They should ramp that up on match days I agree, things still wouldn't be enough for some of our fans though.

Grendel

I see. So if we perhaps arranged to rent the jaguar hall when we are playing and put a display of vintage model railway displays in one week?

Do you think they will be back the following week?

What percentage are we actually going to do this for? If it's not related to football its trying to bribe loyalty not induce and it's not going to work.

How many other clubs do it? Hardly any I would guess.

Samo

I see. So if we perhaps arranged to rent the jaguar hall when we are playing and put a display of vintage model railway displays in one week?

Do you think they will be back the following week?

What percentage are we actually going to do this for? If it's not related to football its trying to bribe loyalty not induce and it's not going to work.

How many other clubs do it? Hardly any I would guess.

As I asked earlier:
You don't think a child might be keener to attend if he/she was going to meet players, win a prize, get a free flag, get their face painted, play a game, etc? Yes or no?

Samo

The end game should be to get new CCFC supporters, people moan like shit about their kids not supporting CCFC. Did they take them to the JSB party for example? Or did they want CCFC to bring a limo to them to pick them up?

Everything on the matchday should be CCFC related, the aim should be to convert more people to CCFC supporters rather than kids who are bribed to come to go on a roundabout and don't actually like football so as soon as the roundabouts stop, they stop coming.

I agree with things like penalty shootouts, players mingling, sky blue sam and everything CCFC to get the kids loving CCFC. Seeing the kids at the JSB parties is a prime example. They should ramp that up on match days I agree, things still wouldn't be enough for some of our fans though.

Have you ever taken your family to visit Warwick Castle? I assume you warned them that they should on no account have any fun around the town as this is not castle related.

Nick

Administrator
As I asked earlier:
You don't think a child might be keener to attend if he/she was going to meet players, win a prize, get a free flag, get their face painted, play a game, etc? Yes or no?

Sounds a bit like the things like JSBs do already. Apart from maybe the flag. I think the Volunteers work quite hard for that.

Nick

Administrator
Have you ever taken your family to visit Warwick Castle? I assume you warned them that they should on no account have any fun around the town as this is not castle related.

Yes, because visiting a castle is the same as watching a football team every couple of weeks isn't it and get somebody to support the club.

I went to the Castle because my daughter was excited to learn about the castle and all the things castle / history related. I didn't take her to the castle because they had big screen TV's with PS4's, everything on at the Castle was related to the Castle and the history behind it while being entertaining too. It was all themed.

Still though, I was a bit pissed off they didn't lay on some drifting in the car park for those not interested in the history or the castle it's self to get them up there.

Samo

All I am saying is that it is in all our interests if the match day experience is improved. That being the case I think the focus should be on families and children as those of us that are only interested in the 90 minutes, myself included, will go (or not) regardless of other stuff that's going on. Children often dictate family behavior, so make it sparkly, colorful and fun and they will want to go. They are our future and the club should try everything possible to get them there. I cannot for the life of me, see why anyone would be resistant to that.

Users who are viewing this thread