CCFC Promotion, computer prediction (1 Viewer)

Speedie's Head

Would think in the model we are looking to win these two

It's got us well under two points per game.

10th place on 68pts is 16 more points than now (52 pts) in 11 games, that is only 1 1/2 pts per game. Two wins gets us on target.

I doubt that 71 points will be enough for 6th place but that's not the discussion just now.

Robinshio

i think any model has us losing to middlesbrough
if we get to the last game and still in with a fighting chance, anything can happen in a 1 off

SleepyGinger

Annoyingly I could see us finishing the season really strongly and getting good points total but still missing out. Everyone above us and around us are on good form, Watford will fancy it now with Wilder, Hope I’m wrong.

Astute

Annoyingly I could see us finishing the season really strongly and getting good points total but still missing out. Everyone above us and around us are on good form, Watford will fancy it now with Wilder, Hope I’m wrong.
The teams above us will be playing each other lots of times. We only have to play those above us a few times. Things can move very quickly.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Eccles has been really good.

The issue is all 3 of our AMs out injured at once.
He has been, it’s not a sleight on him, I see him more as a squad player not a key first teamer.

That is what I was saying - were having to play Eccles as a full starter instead of our first and second choice midfield. Our depth is woeful

Robinshio

He has been, it’s not a sleight on him, I see him more as a squad player not a key first teamer.

That is what I was saying - were having to play Eccles as a full starter instead of our first and second choice midfield. Our depth is woeful
not many clubs can cope with having 3 players in the same position injured
how big a squad should we carry
we have issues with squad depth in other positions but not AM

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

not many clubs can cope with having 3 players in the same position injured
how big a squad should we carry
we have issues with squad depth in other positions but not AM
We have a good starting 11, a very good plan A. The rest of the league have enough players to have a plan B & C.

we are unlucky in terms of losing our AMs but we just don’t have the depth. Most teams wouldn’t have to dip into the Howleys of their squad to become starting 11 players for the last 10 games.

again - they’re good young players, but being at the stage to rely on them is too much to expect from them

Astute

And he has proven to be very capable of covering when needed. Doesn't that show you we have decent cover in his position?

Howley looked decent on his 1st team debut start in the league. Playing against knackered and those carrying knocks will help. After a few games he will get more up to speed.

Just about every club has injuries at this stage to the season. Some are a lot worse off than us. Look at Sunderland. No fit striker for the rest of the season. Were near the top of the table but now in free fall. Oh dear.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

And he has proven to be very capable of covering when needed. Doesn't that show you we have decent cover in his position?

Howley looked decent on his 1st team debut start in the league. Playing against knackered and those carrying knocks will help. After a few games he will get more up to speed.

Just about every club has injuries at this stage to the season. Some are a lot worse off than us. Look at Sunderland. No fit striker for the rest of the season. Were near the top of the table but now in free fall. Oh dear.
Again - I like them, they’re good solid young players. But in the business end we’re competing against West Brom, Norwich and Watford who have bigger depth due to the resources. Then you’ve got Milwall who seem to be a very hard working team. That’s all competing for one spot - given Blackburn and Luton are somewhat out of our reach with 11games to go.

put it this way - with the clubs we’re competing with, where would Eccles and Howley fit in?

shepardo01

we only play Blackbum and Boro above us, not too difficult
Watford can beat anybody - and with a new manager will be a very difficult opponent.
QPR have a new manager and a good squad that were top of the table earlier in the season.
Hull, are difficult to beat, don't concede many goals and with a win would be breathing down our necks points wise.
Blackpool, on Saturday were the only team to stop Burnley from scoring since the World cup.

With the current midfield they will all be VERY challenging games.....
As I've said on another post, if we had Sheaf/Palmer/Allen all available and fit, I'd be excited about our chances going into the back end of the season.....
Instead I'm feeling frustrated about those injuries and the lesser quality starting 11 (and then paper thin squad) that we find ourselves with.....

JulianDarbyFTW

The 'supercomputer' is just the fivethirtyeight website (Championship Predictions)

It predicts each and every week, and has done for a few years. And the telegraph run a poncy article like this every year. It's annoying, because it's more of an algorithm than some footballing Deep Blue (chess reference for da kidz there).

The biggest plus point of the website is that you can select by date, so you can go back to any point in the season. Obviously, the further into the season the more accurate, but it's fun to see how it changes. For example, first week of September we were predicted to be 4th bottom, which wasn't far off from my own expectations at that point!

SonofErnie

We have a good starting 11, a very good plan A. The rest of the league have enough players to have a plan B & C.

we are unlucky in terms of losing our AMs but we just don’t have the depth. Most teams wouldn’t have to dip into the Howleys of their squad to become starting 11 players for the last 10 games.

again - they’re good young players, but being at the stage to rely on them is too much to expect from them
Surely we were on Plan C last Saturday?

Sky Blue Harry H

Our depth is woeful

O'Hare, Sheaf, Palmer, (to a lesser extent Kelly) Barely any team in this division cold cope with those injuries at the same time . How many midfielders do you expect a Championship squad to have? With that in mind, our abject depth has managed to see us unbeaten in 6. To have quality depth in a squad is unrealistic at this level unless you have just come down from the PL. The only exception to that is if you have a number of home grown players who happen to come through at the same time, and haven't blown the budget out of the water.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

O'Hare, Sheaf, Palmer, (to a lesser extent Kelly) Barely any team in this division cold cope with those injuries at the same time . How many midfielders do you expect a Championship squad to have? With that in mind, our abject depth has managed to see us unbeaten in 6. To have quality depth in a squad is unrealistic at this level unless you have just come down from the PL. The only exception to that is if you have a number of home grown players who happen to come through at the same time, and haven't blown the budget out of the water.
If you’d have read my entire points youd realise you’ve literally said what I have.

we’re competing against Watford, Norwich and West Brom for 1 spot. Our depth compared to them is woeful.

I do not think we will get top 6 because our squad depth just isn’t there. The 3 teams mentioned could absorb losses of O’Hare, Sheaf and Palmer because they have similar quality players in reserve. We have youth kids who realistically should be left to develop

nunchuckas

i think any model has us losing to middlesbrough
if we get to the last game and still in with a fighting chance, anything can happen in a 1 off
By the time we play Boro on the last game, there's a very good chance their fate will be sealed, and they'll be resting players and preparing for the Playoffs. I'd fancy our chances in this scenario if we need a result.

Same theory applies to the Reading and Brum games, they will probably be dead rubber games for them at that point and will be on 'on the beach'.

Even as far back as QPR, they might be pretty much done and dusted by then f they're not dragged into the relegation mix. Blackburn are likely to still have something to play for though.

So get to the last 3 still in the mix and it's definitely on IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread